25 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,216 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:23 AM

This place is so lovable that I think it might tend to get a bit overrated in its reviews.  But I'm about to do the same thing.  Because I loved it.

Everybody says it's in Prospect Heights.  But it's on the Crown Heights side of Washington Avenue, so that's where it is.

The food concept is clean, stylish versions of Midwestern comfort food.  There's an incredibly appealing day menu.  But I'm never gonna be there for that.  The night menu is more limited.  But it's all so lovable.

I started with fried giardiniera.  Fried pickled vegetables is an idea whose time has come.  Very cleanly fried.  Incredibly good with a cocktail from the very basic list.

It may be hard to get excited about a Patty Melt.  But it was So.  Fucking.  Good.  Part of it is that they get the "secret sauce" right:  not overly spicy, not cloying.  Just right.

The Patty Melt comes with these fried "crispy potatoes" that are addictive.

They have only one dessert:  a slice of whatever kind of basically disgusting, buttercream-rich diner-style cake they made that day (on my day, it was an Ambrosia cake).   Of course, they absolutely nail this.  Nobody fails to order it -- and nobody is unhappy to eat it.  Quite the opposite.  You can see the joy radiating up and down the bar and from table to table as people reach the dessert course (which no one seems to skip).

One of the hooks for this place was that it would be determinedly LGBT friendly.  That translates into a general feeling of ease, of belonging, that is palpable when you walk in.  I can't remember the last time I felt such a good vibe walking into a restaurant.  The crowd is mixed.  The staff certainly seemed to go out of their way to make at least one cis male solo diner feel as welcome as anyone else.

This is clearly a neighborhood place.  You'd be nuts to go out of your way for it.  But just as much, you'd be nuts to have it near you and not make extensive use of it.  I'm sort of embarrassed that it took me more than a year to drop in.  Cuz I just loved it.

COMP DISCLOSURE:  A slice of that cake.  (I didn't think I wanted any.  But after a glass of artisanal Malort, I was ready for anything.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,216 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:24 AM

Oops.  That's "MeMe's Diner".  It's named after one of the owners' grandmothers -- not videos about Hitler.

May I ask an Admin to correct the thread title?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,251 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:25 AM

Done.

#4 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,251 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:27 AM

Might be a new speed record for a request  :P .

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,216 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:28 AM

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,216 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:28 AM

Thanks!

Bar Loser

MF Old

#7 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 05:07 AM

I hadn’t heard about this, thanks.

#8 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,216 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 05:23 AM

I think your kids are going to develop a relationship with the cake.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#9 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,915 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:21 PM

i have heard such amazing press about this place.. Every time I feel like going, i review the very small menu and nothing attracts me.  But, that being said, who doesn't love a patty melt..  

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,216 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:38 PM

Right.  Exactly.  That's why it took me so long to get there.  It's hard to feel motivated by that extremely limited (and to be honest fairly boring) menu (at least the evening menu -- the daytime menu is more interesting, but that's of no use to me).  But who doesn't love a patty melt?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 07:55 PM

Looking at the website, I see dinner and brunch menus but no lunch. (No, I’m not thinking of going there.)

#12 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,216 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:21 PM

I think the brunch menu is the “all-day” menu.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#13 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:32 PM

Per the website: Dinner served Tuesday - Sunday, Brunch on Saturday & Sunday, Closed Monday. No hours listed.

#14 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,216 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 10:46 PM

The hours are listed on the website at “Contact”.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#15 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 11:05 PM

I'm mixed on this place even though, as Sneak notes, it's hard not to love being there. I had a lackluster brunch here the first time, but I think I may have just ordered wrong. I got a cocoa dutch baby that was really bad...anemically thin and droopy, and smeared with whipped cream that was melting into a puddle over bananas. It sounded much better on paper. I did love the savory babka with everything bagel spice, though. Dinner was much better. Had a very good hot chicken cutlet with a vinegary bean salad and tried some of the very tasty meatloaf. I'd go back for that patty melt.