No replies to this topic

#1 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,781 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:01 PM

My dream was to see the big Van Gogh exhibition but instead we visited the home of Alexandre Dumas ("Three Musketeers) in Le Port Marly, France. What a gorgeous estate! He built this castle at the height of his success and fame. Sadly he lost it underweight of some massive debt. All the furnishings were lost and it fell into disrepair but some super fan historians spent years raising money to repair and partially refurnish the home. An interesting look inside his life and tastes. His tastes were enormous both for life and food. He wrote and published a cookbook and a dictionary of cuisine. His diningroom was the literal center of his home. Worth the trip and the village is adorable and home to several other museums

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*