#1 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,785 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 05:46 PM

Well, why not I guess. 

Here is a Venezuelan Burger Chain called Juanchi Burgers.. It's in Williamsburg, it was perfectly fine.. They have some interesting burger choices.  I also like the fact that you can get any one of their burgers as a slider..  They offer an array of mayo based sauces.. The problem is, I hate their mayo base. It has that miracle whip, mexican mayo flavor that I hate.. But, many people either seem to enjoy it or not have the hatred I do for this taste. 

But, yeh, burger was decent if lacking any flavor outside of the toppings.. We tried a Caribe slider, a mushroom slider with a bernaise like sauce and had a double cheese burger... But they have options like get plantains and chorizo and some sort of fried cheese on your burger, or like an egg, other things inspired by Venezuelan food culture I assume...   Jax man had chicken fingers and they were my favorite item we ate.. 

Lots of raves from yelpers and happy faces in the place.. Service was ok, handsome young waiter dude, very chill, it's a burger place.. it's a small burger place, food comes out quickly.   

It's not bad but, if you are over 40 and it's a special occasion to go for a burger, you aint going here.. It's more like, you are 25 and eat 17 dollar burgers 4 times a week.. This would be an ok stop.. 

And to keep myself consistent, everything needs salt.  Actually except for the chicken fingers which were seasoned well and again, the best thing we ate. 

46792120274_e4029f1975_z.jpg

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#2 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:03 PM

If we're promoting good recent burgers, I'll throw some love in for the burger at Momofuku Ko Bar. It's $9, or $19 if you want to gild the lily with foie gras. It's not huge (it's served in a hot dog bun) but boy it's tasty. Nice pungent mustard. Makes a good app split between two people.

#3 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:04 PM

Well, why not I guess...

It's not bad but, if you are over 40 and it's a special occasion to go for a burger, you aint going here.. It's more like, you are 25 and eat 17 dollar burgers 4 times a week.. This would be an ok stop..

To each his own [and young people in New York these days do seem to have more discretionary $ than I did], but I fret that the opportunity cost of four upmarket burgers is a proper meal at a bistro or trattoria.

Wasn't there an epic burgers thread on this forum earlier this decade?

#4 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:05 PM

If we're promoting good recent burgers, I'll throw some love in for the burger at Momofuku Ko Bar. It's $9, or $19 if you want to gild the lily with foie gras. It's not huge (it's served in a hot dog bun) but boy it's tasty. Nice pungent mustard. Makes a good app split between two people.

$9 Momofuku burgers...Is this the same bar?

#5 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:06 PM

It's not huge (it's served in a hot dog bun)...

Wait...what?

#6 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:22 PM

$9 Momofuku burgers...Is this the same bar?

They renovated the space and turned the bar into a separate restaurant with an a la carte menu: https://ny.eater.com...-bar-review-nyc

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,153 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:36 PM

I personally think the new Ko Bar is fabulous.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:39 PM

I personally think the new Ko Bar is fabulous.

+1, and I'd bet the bar's fabulosity is a big reason Sean Alex Gray is nominated for a Beard award this year

#9 sweatshorts

sweatshorts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:20 PM

How annoying is it to get in? I see the website says there are 23 seats total.

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,153 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 11:15 PM

It can be annoying.  (Happily, I know a guy.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 02:29 AM

How annoying is it to get in? I see the website says there are 23 seats total.

Weekdays it's not so bad. Weekends there can be a wait, but they take your cell number. And even on weekends, if you're okay dining late, there may not be a wait at all. I moseyed in around 10:30 on a Saturday once and sat right down. (YMMV)