5 replies to this topic

#1 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:24 AM

From the first time I went a few years ago, I've been a fan. I've been there several times since my first, and it is still a very nice space/place, nice ambiance, quiet, you might say even a touch romantic due to the lighting, dimness, and the "softness" of the place. I brought a 2016 Hess Estate Cabernet...which...side note...is drinking very well...excellent...for a $25 bottle of wine. Let it breathe, decant it if possible, but once this opens up, it is drinking better than many bottles I've had for 3 times the price! So, as soon as I got there, I asked them to open it and let it breathe.

We started with the PEI mussels appetizer -- very nice, done very well, a nice bite to the broth. We also had the tuna tartare, which was excellent, it had a lime flavored sauce, with some diced fruit, a small amount fish egg, and some seasoning herbs. It was very nice and I enjoyed it a lot. 

For entrees, we went with sea scallops and the black angus hangar steak...the scallops came with a risotto and a dark mushroom sauce. The risotto was done perfectly. Risotto can be a make or break dish -- done right, it's excellent, but if not, it can be a disaster, very easy to tell it's not done right. The steak came with a lemon flavored spinach, some parmesan potatoes, which was very tasty and loads of flavor, and it came with a herb, seasoned light sauce. The steak was also loaded with flavor and taste -- done perfectly! For dessert, we had apple crostata, which came with a caramel gelato and a nice caramel sauce.

The service was very good, patient, as we took our time, relaxed, was having a very nice time, etc. They were attentive, professional, cleared plates and refilled water on cue, before being asked, overall just very good. The menu is excellent -- nice range, broad scope within the categories, strong with pasta, very nice flair, and simply put -- this is an excellent restaurant. As always, I liked it very much and I will absolutely go back!

In my opinion, Fascino is one of the best restaurants in Montclair and the surrounding area. They do what they do and they do it extremely well! 

#2 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:32 PM

Nice review E.L.A. I see Fascino is still going strong after all of these years. Parking can be a little tough in that area (or in most of Montclair).

Follow me on Instagram @eparyzer

#3 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,706 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:50 PM

Not for you - you park where ever you want!!! :D  :D

#4 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:58 PM

If you get lucky there are a few spots across the street down the road about 100 yards in front of the music store that are legal but with no meter. So it seems sometimes people don't realize they are actually spots. Or we just got super lucky last time we went.

#5 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:13 PM

Not for you - you park where ever you want!!! :D  :D

And I have the tickets to prove it :D

Follow me on Instagram @eparyzer

#6 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:44 AM

There is a municipal lot one block away in one direction, and another one also one block away in the other direction. More importantly, less than a block away -- is the old Lackawana Train Station, which not only houses the Pig and Prince gastropub restuarant, but has been completely renovated -- and all of that parking is open and free!

Yes, of course parking is an issue in Montclair -- as it is in Ridgewood, Westwood, Ramsey, Rutherford, and so on. Any town with a walk'able, store-front, retail, etc., area...is going to have issues with parking.