6 replies to this topic

#1 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:56 AM

I had a very nice dinner at Esty Street -- a long time, well known restaurant in Park Ridge, which has been a top place for what seems like 30 years now. We started with a drink at the bar, which was very nice, quiet, the NCAA games on the TV's, but a nice quiet ambiance, in line with the entire restaurant. The overriding theme in this fine dining restaurant is ambiance -- dim, but not dark, tables not on top of each other, a small "library" area, with books filling bookshelves, and overall, romantic. Quiet, classy ambiance. It gives off the aura of a high-class "club" or something of the like. 

We were seated at a perfect table, and even though there was a large party nearby, it was still perfect, and quiet. Service here is very professional, integrated, well coordinated, and simply perfect. The menu, I would say is "eclectic" and a flair of creative, well described, and very enticing specials that the waiter gave an excellent overview of, and details when asked. The wine list was placed on the table and was the size of a large volume of the Encyclopedia Britannica, LOL. We stuck with drinks, so no wine.

For appetizers, we started with the Crab Cake, which came with a nice salad, mushrooms, roasted bell peppers, scallions and an aioli that had layers of flavors and taste. We also had one of the appetizers from the specials -- a sliced tuna, drizzled with wasabi, gentle, but flavorful, coupled with what they called giant prawns (large shrimp et al) diced spicy salmon, and lump crabmeat, inside a wonton shell. It was excellent! Can someone tell me how to post pictures? I am a tech idiot, so make it simple please. LOL.

For entrees, we had the sauteed scallops, which was coupled with jumbo lump crabmeat, clams, sauteed spinach, and a nice saffron broth. We also had the spiced Hawaiian tuna, which came with ginger black rice, bok choy, crabmeat, avocado and a soy miso glaze -- and this dish was excellent! I was already enthralled with my dining companion...so...I apologize...no pictures! LOL. The food just exploded with "freshness" and flavors, and the tastes were distinct and perfectly married together. These were well thought out creations, and not just some thrown together effort of high end dishes. Excellent!

There's a reason why this is a top restaurant for almost 30 years! Because it is! Top notch all around...excellent. If you like good food, ambiance, and a nice experience...you found it all at Esty Street.

#2 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:20 PM

Excellent write up E.L.A. This sounds like an amazing restaurant. I would love to try it, but I don't think they have any wines under $50 a bottle LOL. Most of their wines are in the triple digits. I doubt that they would let me bring my own wine with a corkage fee LOL.

As far as posting pictures it is very convoluted. You would have to sign up for a service like imgur.com and upload your pictures there. Once you are signed into imgur.com you would click on your user name on the top right hand corner, then images, then add images. After you upload your image, you click on that image, and on the right hand there is a box that says view and edit post. On the bottom of that box there is a field that says sizes. You choose the size you want (i.e. small square, huge thumbnail, etc). Then you click on the the 'copy' button of the 2nd field that says 'direct link'. You then click on the little green square icon in Mouthfuls that says 'image' and paste the URL from imgur into that field (control/V). I hope that helps.

Follow me on Instagram @eparyzer

#3 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:03 PM

There’s a thread about posting images on the Questions and Technical Questions board. All my photos are on Flickr. There are posts on that thread explaining how to get photos from there to this site. However, I found the method difficult and had problems getting the pics to post. So I take the easy way and just post a link to the photo sets.

#4 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:56 PM

That wine list is offensive, but sadly typical for NJ!

#5 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:40 AM

Forget about the pics!!! LOL. I am technologically handicapped! LOL.

As far as the wine list -- I looked it over briefly, and again, it was massive! This wine list is not typical of normal NJ places, and not even high-end places. It was huge!

I wasn't drinking wine anyway, however, while I didn't really look in detail, there did seem to be plenty of wines under $100 and $50 as well. I am going to check and see what they show online and whether or not that is reflective of the massive book they dropped on my table, LOL.

#6 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:15 AM

By typical of NJ, I mean full of wines that one normally sees in a supermarket(well, not in NJ) or corner liquor store. Nothing of any interest, no indication that anyone besides a distributor rep had any input into the selection. At least there's ridge and copain...

Hopefully chef Robbie's new place has a more interesting list.

#7 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:43 AM

Got it. Thanks!!!