34 replies to this topic

#1 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,613 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:15 PM

we are in the early stages of planning a trip to dc/nyc with the kids in mid-august. yes, i know it's a terrible time to visit, but it's the only time we've got. the primary and secondary purposes of the trip are to take the boys to the big museums and sights. i'm trying to figure out airbnb vs. hotel in nyc. a tiny apartment will cost the same, seemingly, as a decent hotel room (which will be more cramped) but it would also seem to mean staying further out from manhattan, which seems like it will be the center of our activities. though i don't know how much of a hassle it will be to subway it in from brooklyn if we go that route.

do people have any airbnb recommendations? any suggestions for under the radar hotels that are good for families? anyone want to let our kids destroy your luxurious penthouse suite while you're out of town?

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#2 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,170 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:44 PM

If you want to sleep on an air mattress in our living room you should just ask. No need to be passive aggressive about it.

I would look for an Airbnb in Manhattan. Honestly probably would consider the UES and UWS given the interest in Museums. Not the coolest but high likelihood of a large by NYC standards place with access to the sights and not a terrible commute to downtown (where you'll probably want to be at night)

Brooklyn could be OK so long as you are near a train that serves midtown. Like I wouldn't relish Williamsburg or Greenpoint even tho they are physically close. Especially if your boys arent used to subways.

That said...you do know AirBnB is illegal here right? I mean the city only busts quasi hotels for the most part but something to be aware of.

No first hand ideas for you tho.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#3 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,613 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:48 PM

there are some airbnbs in our price range in harlem. a new yorker friend tells me that as a general rule we should try to be below 125th and west of morningside. sound right?

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#4 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,613 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:50 PM

If you want to sleep on an air mattress in our living room you should just ask. No need to be passive aggressive about it.

hey, i'm from minnesota.

That said...you do know AirBnB is illegal here right? I mean the city only busts quasi hotels for the most part but something to be aware of.

for real? it isn't stopping listings on airbnb.

~homer simpson

#5 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,170 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:53 PM

Yep. It's illegal unless it's just a room.

Not a Harlem expert at all, others here will be way more helpful, but that sounds an overly restrictive definition of family friendly Harlem.

#6 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,613 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:05 AM

well, that explains this:

Other things to note

Just a reminder: 
**When at my place, you are my guest(s). If anyone should ask who you are etc., please say that you are staying with your friend ----  as a guest at his place. Please make NO mention of Airbnb, i simply don't want my neighbors knowing my bussiness. I like to give my guests full privacy so they can feel like they are part of this great City and live like a local.

~homer simpson

#7 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:05 AM

if you’re gonna do the met, moma, etc any part of brooklyn means at least 90 mins a day on the train. I’d consider long island city as long as it’s close to a train if you end up looking outside manhattan.

if you’re gonna be here over a weekend I’d also try to find something that’s convenient to more than one train if you stay somewhere out of the way.

#8 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,170 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:15 AM

well, that explains this:

Other things to note

Just a reminder:
**When at my place, you are my guest(s). If anyone should ask who you are etc., please say that you are staying with your friend ---- as a guest at his place. Please make NO mention of Airbnb, i simply don't want my neighbors knowing my bussiness. I like to give my guests full privacy so they can feel like they are part of this great City and live like a local.

It's also likely this person is in a building that doesn't allow subletting or even more fun they are a rent stabilized Tennant who could lose their lease if they got caught.

In our last building somebody moved in to the ground floor apartment, never paid her rent and while the eviction proceedings were ongoing airbnb'd the place out. I walked in the door one night to three Spanish tourists wondering why there was a padlock and a sheriff's seal on the door of their accommodation.

#9 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,866 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:24 AM

Not a Harlem expert at all, others here will be way more helpful, but that sounds an overly restrictive definition of family friendly Harlem.

100%. There are no parts of Harlem to worry about unless your heart is set on worrying (which I’m sure it’s not). And there isn’t a part I haven’t walked day and night.

#10 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,866 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:38 AM

Unless I seem blasé I would counsel against East New York, Canarsie, some other micro-neighborhoods in Brooklyn, and some of the South Bronx (at night). But not Harlem.

#11 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,696 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:25 AM

Also legal if it's not a multi family building
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#12 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:02 AM

I'd really try to stay in a hotel in Manhattan.  The commuting will cost you at least as much in time and aggravation as you might save in the price difference between a decent hotel and an airbnb.

#13 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:05 AM

For you reading pleasure:

How to: Airbnb in New York City

#14 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:06 AM

I'll break with form and actually try to be helpful here.  The rules around legal subletting in NYC are pretty restrictive but that doesn't stop anyone.  Airbnb is under attack here (for good reason, in my opinion, but I won't rant about it here), so I tend to recommend going elsewhere for rentals in NYC, especially while the heat's on.  VRBO.com ("Vacation Rentals by Owner")has always been our other company for apartment rentals.  We've done airbnb for a month in Florence and time in wine country, but have used VRBO for a month in Provence and now next month in Paris.  VRBO is now owned by TripAdvisor (same as FlipKey and HomeAway) and seems to be on firmer business footing these days in major cities.

At any rate, I agree that all of Harlem is safe.  In NYC, being in areas that are close to subways and buses that run regularly is key.  For tourists, having good access crosstown as well as downtown is also important.  I plugged in some August dates on VRBO and several interesting places popped up.  Go on their website and take a look at property #4080557ha for example.  Looks like the major August need for a/c is met, there's ample floor space (2 bedrooms), a modern looking bathroom (probably means good pressure & even hot water, and an ok kitchen.  Best of all, location is good for getting to the FDR (quick cab or Uber rides to other boroughs or even uptown/downtown) as well as bus lines.  And, as an apartment in East Harlem just around E110th St/2nd Ave, it keeps you above Central Park so that you can get crosstown and gets you close enough to subway or bus lines downtown as well.   The reviews all laud the safety of the area.  Its in a quiet residential neighborhood, but with basic services nearby.  I know nothing of the specific place but would consider it and definitely use it as a benchmark for other hunting.

Good luck.  Will we be seeing you in August?

This space available… contact owner.

#15 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,613 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:08 AM

I'd really try to stay in a hotel in Manhattan.  The commuting will cost you at least as much in time and aggravation as you might save in the price difference between a decent hotel and an airbnb.

we'd have to get two rooms in a hotel--which ups the cost dramatically over an airbnb (1 bedroom + living room sofa-bed is fine). plus being able to eat breakfast at home, before setting out for the day is good. but yeah, if i could get a hotel for not so very much more i would probably do it (we're hoping to come in not very much over $250/night)

~homer simpson