34 replies to this topic

#16 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,659 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:09 AM

Good luck.  Will we be seeing you in August?

i hope so.

off to look at vrbo now.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#17 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,772 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:55 AM

Outside of the alt reality of MFF, airbnb is very much alive here although of course you may run into a situation that's more illegal than usual as mentioned above. Pretty easy to weed those out usually based on number of reviews and such.

An apartment that would be really great for 2+2 will likely run you closer to 350 than 250, but if you go further uptown or downtown maybe you can do 250 as well. There are markets like vrbo as well as a whole bunch of fragmented corporate housing / hotel suite services and of course Craigslist is still around but it is so full of scams you need someone local to go and look at places or they only exist in the dreams of some Nigerian prince.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#18 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:48 PM

you should also look at sabbatical homes and the other ones aimed at academics, friends have used them without swapping and the sense of a shared social circle seems to make people more comfortable with strangers in their space.

#19 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,337 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:48 PM

Outside of the alt reality of MFF, airbnb is very much alive here although of course you may run into a situation that's more illegal than usual as mentioned above. Pretty easy to weed those out usually based on number of reviews and such.

While indeed it's alive and well in NYC, we've had apartments in our cooperative visited by both the NYPD and NYFD, when word of an illegal airbnb situation gets out. That shuts it down pretty quick, and then the owner has to deal with the consequences of violating their lease.

And management actively (along with tips from neighbors who do not want transients in our buildings) peruses listings on all the rental sites.  They've done a good job of it. Even our front desk security will get involved when they see 4 people schelpping suitcases into a building on a Saturday night.

#20 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,659 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:18 PM

so, why would airbnb be illegal/dicey but vrbo safe?

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#21 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,197 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:19 PM

It isn't, it's just not controversial.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#22 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,197 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:22 PM

My reason for telling Mongo is that based on what I've gleamed of his politics he might want to know.

#23 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,197 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:24 PM

you should also look at sabbatical homes and the other ones aimed at academics, friends have used them without swapping and the sense of a shared social circle seems to make people more comfortable with strangers in their space.

I was going to suggest something similar. Or maybe your school itself might have some relationships you can lever.

#24 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,772 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:27 PM

My reason for telling Mongo is that based on what I've gleamed of his politics he might want to know.

Once he exploited the subsidies of various Indian states, he will take part in all sorts of illegal schemes.

#25 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,337 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:32 PM

Agree - and basically, most everything is posted to both (and more) sites.

#26 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,772 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:22 PM

The city's concern with quality of life and safety issues caused by competing with the hotel lobby is only sullied by the fact that they're happy for us to live in 19th century fire traps that will collapse when the first major earthquake hits. 

#27 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 04:28 PM

A comment on Harlem transportation: great subway access in Harlem to downtown attractions — you're close to the 2/3 4/5/6 A/C/B/D — on a good day, 25 minutes to midtown, 50 minutes to Prospect Park, 1 hr to Flushing. You can also take the M60 to Astoria. Of course, when the trains are messed up, it can be excruciating--but with that many options, it's a rare event. Going to the east village and LES and certain parts of Brooklyn can be annoying. Between 125 and 110 and Manhattan Ave and Malcolm X would be good (not so much for east side museums if you're closer to Central Park) or in the 120s around Malcolm X for a 10ish minute walk to the 4/5/6 for the east side museums. If you're west of Morningside Park (I assume that's what you mean), you'll be right around Columbia and very much stuck on the 1 train (which is slow) or walking to the A/C B/D (susceptible to extreme delays). 

eta: also, it's really easy to take metro north to the Bronx Botanical Garden, Arthur Avenue area or, if you want to get out of the city for the day, to Beacon for Dia and hiking or other Hudson River destinations. 

eta: It's nice to get on the B and ride an hour and a half out to Coney Island, walk to Brighton Beach, make a day of it.

Immortal space traveler.

#28 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:05 PM

Pretty much true.  But that may translate into whether or not the rental will be there and/or whether the controversy exists with neighbors & will spill over into your rental experience.  Airbnb has enemies looking for reasons to pounce.  Although I agree that there's a lot of overlap, I believe that VRBO stays further away from the most controversial listings and doesn't take the risk with places that have neighbor complaints.  Therefore, a better bet in NYC.  Of course, we can always turn Mongo in once we learn what he's rented regardless of which he uses.

This space available… contact owner.

#29 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,772 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:27 PM

vrbo / homeaway quality and prices are higher, but availability is lower and calendars are not as well managed. 

As always, best to know a guy. 

#30 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:53 PM

My concern is one of mass. I wouldn't mind risking being left out in the cold with only myself to house on short notice. But I would worry about snafus when hauling husband and several family members along. Room for me, easy. Room for 4 or 5, probably harder and costly to say nothing of spillover tress all around.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.