22 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,970 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 02:52 AM

Live-blogging my meal at Rezdôra opening night.

This is the Emilia-Romagnan restaurant in New York that at least some of us have been dreaming about.

More to come when I’m not actually eating and (especially) drinking.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,970 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 03:51 AM

COMP DISCLOSURE: An amaro. You know I don’t come THAT cheap.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,852 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 04:15 AM

Where's the live blogging?
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,970 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 04:17 AM

It’s over. I’m going home.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,970 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 04:20 AM

More later. Not live.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:51 AM

Life hasn't been the same since via Emilia closed. And this sounds better! Hope our dreams have come true.

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,970 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 01:25 PM

This is so infinitely better.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,446 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 02:05 PM

Will Osteria Francesca become the new Noma - sending out chefs to spread the good word, this time about Emilian food?

Menu looks good, but man what has the world become when every (lettuce) salad, at practically every restaurant, approaches $15 or more?

Helmed by Chef Stefano Secchi, who spent several years honing his skills in Modena under Massimo Bottura at Osteria Francesca, the menu is centered around fresh, handmade pasta and complimented by traditionally prepared meat and fish, local vegetables, and specialty products imported from Italy.

#9 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,446 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 02:12 PM

But wait - there's no gnocco frito?!  That's the thing Via Emilia did best!!

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,970 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 02:20 PM

There totally is.  It's in the lefthand column of the menu.  (Although they were out of it last night by the time I got there.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,446 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 03:06 PM

There totally is.  It's in the lefthand column of the menu.  (Although they were out of it last night by the time I got there.)

When I re-re-read the menu, I totally saw it; I'm an idiot.

#12 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 03:53 PM

I’m not sure we ever ordered the gnoccho frito at Via Emilia. What we did have often was the excellent lasagna.

Thrilled that Rezdora is close to our apartment. At the moment, I’m a bit overdosed on Italian (a restaurant I n NJ on Thurs. and here after the theater last night). But if I’m in the mood by Tuesday, we’ll go to Rezdora before heading back to NJ (presuming we can get an early reservation).

We’re having dinner this evening at Benno (our third time), but I’ll be sticking with French dishes.

#13 cinghiale

cinghiale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:46 AM

Will Osteria Francesca become the new Noma - sending out chefs to spread the good word, this time about Emilian food?

Menu looks good, but man what has the world become when every (lettuce) salad, at practically every restaurant, approaches $15 or more?

Helmed by Chef Stefano Secchi, who spent several years honing his skills in Modena under Massimo Bottura at Osteria Francesca, the menu is centered around fresh, handmade pasta and complimented by traditionally prepared meat and fish, local vegetables, and specialty products imported from Italy.

NB: That would be Osteria Francescana.

#14 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,446 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:07 AM

NB: That would be Osteria Francescana.

My spelling, my reading comprehension - everything's off these days. Probably eating too many preserved Meyer lemons.

All I know is that even though we arrived at like 6:45 last night, and there were empty tables but no empty bar seats, they wouldn't let us in. Bastardos!

#15 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,446 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:31 PM

So....Significant Eater and I had an 8:15 reservation last night, arrived a bit early, and were ushered over to the "cocktail area" to wait for our table. While at the "cocktail area," no one came over to take a cocktail order, and there was no place to put what we were carrying (our jackets and SE's pocketbook); it was kinda interesting. No fear, though, as we were seated at our table within the next 10 minutes or so.

Then after we ordered some opening drinks (a Lambrusco for she, a quartino for me), the menu was explained to us - said explanation included the suggestion that we both order a dish from each of the 3 columns, as the portions were small (they really weren't, though). So where am I going with all this before talking about the food?  Well, let's just say the service was comically inept. Or as I suggested to my wife, sort of Italian - but without the charm.  Literally zero warmth. I don't mind (well yeah, I actually do) if you're reaching your arm across my face to bus the table or place a fork, if you do it because there's no other way - but here there was; it just meant moving to the other side of the table. 

The gnocco frito? Pretty damn delicious, though my memory of the same dish at Via Emilia leads me to think their's was better.  And here it is served, not as a few gnocco frito with meats alongside, but as 3 distinct gnocco frito, each topped with a different meat - salumi on one, mortadella on another, and prosciutto on the 3rd. I remedied the situation by removing all meats, and we were then able to sample each without me having to cut each gnocco in half. Our cacio e pepe Emilia - 3 hearts of baby romaine or little gems, dressing atop and served in the style of Wildair - pick 'em up and eat 'em. Good.

Our primi - quite delicious. Sig Eater enjoyed spaghettoni con vongole, while I opted for the strozzapretti, its delicious tomato sauce studded with rock shrimp. Great. For secondi, Sig Eater went against their initial advice and had another pasta, this time the tagliolini al ragu, marred by (I think) the wrong pasta (too thin) cooked wrongly (too cooked). My rabbit dish - just great, with sweetbreads, sausage and a nicely braised leg.

No desserts for us this night, as we were both stuffed. Really, the portions are far from small, and those gnocco frito paired with a pasta and a verdure, would certainly qualify as a meal for any ordinary human.

Obviously, they are still getting their act together. A touch more warmth from the humans would help a lot, as the front of the house is not yet keeping up with the love coming out of the kitchen. Show some joy, folks - I mean, compare this with the service at Frenchette and you'll see what I mean.

With any number of quartinos (like probably 6), and all that food, $300. I'd certainly enjoy sitting at the bar, having some gnocco or cured meats alone, a pasta and raab, and calling it a day. That's what I'll try for next time.