25 replies to this topic

#16 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,383 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 02:59 AM

The joke is that it's incredibly, blindingly expensive -- and you have to reserve (and pre-pay on Tock) a spot at the tiny bar to get in. So nobody's going to wander in to order a beer.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#17 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,745 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 11:33 PM

Sounds like I am not going there either 😊

#18 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,745 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 11:36 PM

I am going to Blackbird. Think I was last there 20-ish years ago. Current menu looks good.

#19 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,745 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 11:37 PM

Still interested in Acadia, but it’s not open first part of week.

#20 bolderite

bolderite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:16 PM

We just returned. Fine cocktails at Kumiko. Do not bother with the omakase and food pairings in the basement restaurant - Kikko. Acadia, Oriole, the Bellemore if you have time, inclination, can get reservations for fine dining. Varied menu, great cocktails, first come, first served at Proxi -- try the hamachi collar and their riff on elote -- elote fritters -- you can thank me later.  Feeling like venturing further afield, go to El Ideas in the Pilsen area.

And if you are a carnivore, go on a burger crawl in the West Loop and compare Au Cheval with Kuma's Corner, but the latter only if you can withstand some serious death metal with your burger.

#21 bolderite

bolderite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:17 PM

Also in the West Loop for cocktails, CK Distillery and Maude's.

#22 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,745 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:29 AM

Blackbird worked out well. Fine dining in a bright modern room, at tolerable prices. Thankfully, the kitchen aced the red meat course (striploin). I have had so many rubbery, flavorless meat courses this year, this was a relief.

Good sweetbreads, okay cheese, nice wines, sweet service. $200 all in, but that’s four courses, three wines and a Laubade. There’s a $150 tasting, which I’d now be willing to order.

#23 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,745 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:32 AM

Will have to put bolderite’s cocktail recs on list for next time.

#24 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,797 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 04:35 AM

I went to Bob Chinn tonight. I’m guessing there were 400 people eating there with me maybe another 75 staff. My friend from high school and I ordered crab legs, crab fingers and fettuccine Alfredo and french fries and crabcakes and beers and garlic bread and shrimp cocktail. Dinner was 200 bucks and it was all pretty good with a lot of garlic.

I can’t believe how many people were there
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#25 bolderite

bolderite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:33 PM

Will have to put bolderite’s cocktail recs on list for next time.

Sorry I was too late for your visit!

#26 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,797 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:44 PM

i have one more night in town before I leave for China... My buddy tells me he doesn't know how to cook and they order in almost every night.. When I say buddy, i say this in, my friend from high school who I've seen 5 times in the last 20 years.. But, we have a history and he is nice and there ya go.. I offered to cook him dinner with whatever he has available in his house.. I told him not to go shopping and I can make he and his wife a pantry dinner.. We shall see, otherwise, i may just head on downtown and get in to trouble before my 10 am flight, or I may see a movie, or go to Mr Blakk for pres at Steppenwolf or I may just stay in and read.. I am enjoying all the possibilities before me... But, the more I think about it, the more I want to head back to that beer place I suggested to Wilf 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.