6 replies to this topic

#1 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:55 PM

The current (well, July 31st) issue of Wine Spectator contains, in addition to a fluff piece about Michael White, its annual Chardonnay report.

I don't know much about wine, other than I enjoy drinking it, so I'm interested in other opinions.

According to the spectator, California Chardonnay has been, for the last decade or so, moving away from its big, buttery, oaky tendency, to a more Burgundian style. Much has been accomplished by planting/moving vineyards to cooler coastal sites, according to the article.

Mentioned is one of my favorite vineyards, Stonestreet, the late Jess Jackson's high end winery. And we'll be spending a few days in Healdsburg in a couple of months, so I look forward to stopping in at a few of the Russian River Valley wineries they mention. These may include, Paul Hobbs and Gary Farrell.

Anyone drinking Cali chards these days, and finding they're better than they were?

#2 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:07 PM

Don't have a taste for the grape either in California or France.

But I will say the California Sauvignon Blancs and the Finger Lakes and Washington Rieslings are made much better now than some 15 years ago.

However, the biggest improvement is California Chenin Blanc, but it's difficult to find these days as many producers have replanted with other varietals. 

#3 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:53 PM

Ceritas makes fantastic chards, their tasting room is in Healdsburg, by appt only. Definitely more Burgundian. Go.

Arnot Roberts is even lighter on the spectrum, to me they are a bit underripe.

#4 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,947 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 04:12 PM

Don't have a taste for the grape either in California or France.

But I will say the California Sauvignon Blancs and the Finger Lakes and Washington Rieslings are made much better now than some 15 years ago.

However, the biggest improvement is California Chenin Blanc, but it's difficult to find these days as many producers have replanted with other varietals. 

Wente Chenin Blanc used to be everpresent.  Hard to find now.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#5 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,947 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 04:17 PM

Jordan makes a good chardonnay, but their tour is not free (but it's good). White Rock, though known for reds, makes a good chardonnay, and I believe you can still do a tour for free if you make advance arrangements.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#6 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,560 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 04:46 PM

Au Bon Climat and Sandhi, obvs.

Also, Matthiasson, Methode Sauvage, Liquid Farm.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#7 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,866 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 12:00 AM

I sometimes want a big old style Cali Chardonnay. Like wanting Bananas Foster. No more than once a year.