1 reply to this topic

#1 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,606 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:25 PM

dinner at canis tonight was spectacular. the meal of the trip and the best "fine dining" restaurant meal i've had in a while. adrian, i'd highly recommend trying their current menu. i'll have a detailed review in the next couple of weeks.

by "the next couple of weeks" i obviously meant "the next couple of days". here is my review of dinner at canis last friday. a truly excellent meal: inventive, delicious and coherent. my only quibble would be with the placement of one early course.

canis-pork.jpg

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#2 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,855 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 12:27 PM

Fogo Island is in Newfoundland and has become a thing since a very rich former resident funded the building of this: https://fogoislandinn.ca/. The seafood from around there is very good.

Glad you enjoyed Canis. I'm hoping to get back with a friend in August - we keep trying to go and keep getting thwarted by circumstances - but there is talent in the kitchen. My last meal there in February fell a bit short. A lot of the ideas in the early courses were a slight bit of the mark, and there were some questionable compositions and cooking techniques. A sous-vided short rib sitting in a very good fermented onion broth with a few other components would have worked much better with the same broth and a traditional braise in a ravioli. The modern elements only serving to highlight how more classical techniques would have been superior.

That said, it still was a good meal, and the duck is reason to go in and of itself. It's a masterpiece, and one of the few times at modern-style restaurants where I've found that the Big Protein is not a disappointment.

It's an easy place to like, and I will be back. 

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.