43 replies to this topic

#16 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,234 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:55 PM

Mm, but doing without the bun is much easier (for me) than doing without the meat and cheese.

#17 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:34 PM

Many cultures eat different sorts of ground up meats in leaves.  And then maybe they'll have some rice too.

#18 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,234 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:08 AM

Yeah, lettuce wraps are nothing new.

Also had some great lobster ravioli at a fancy place in Vegas, pasta replaced by thin turnip slices. Fancy places are great for this.

#19 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,234 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:14 AM

Someone where I am just mentioned Russ & Daughters. Deli is great on this diet. I mean who needs Katz’s rye? Also smoked fish, cream cheese, just no bagel.

Oh wait, Russ & D isn’t deli. 😄

#20 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 12:27 PM

And smoked fish with cream cheese and no bagel isn't really that great.

#21 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:01 PM

But if you mix them to make a spread, it would probably be ok schmeared on some lettuce and rolled up.

#22 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,962 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:36 PM

You can make a sandwich from one dutch herring inside another.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#23 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:36 PM

But if you mix them to make a spread, it would probably be ok schmeared on some lettuce and rolled up.

Yeah, I'll mention that to them at R & D and see what kind of response I get.  Though in their Brooklyn location, who knows.

You can make a sandwich from one dutch herring inside another.

Like a turducken with herring! You could do like a Dutch, Norwegian and Swedish herring all together!

#24 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,962 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:50 PM

You could do like a Dutch, Norwegian and Swedish herring all together!

That's what you would call a Great Dane.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#25 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,234 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:18 PM

You never order a smoked fish plate? I would estimate that 90% of the smoked salmon and other smoked fish I’ve eaten in my life has come without a bagel.

#26 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,234 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 11:27 PM

IMG_9692-1024x683.jpg

I solved this. Dallied a little with Keto bread, which is expensive, crumbly, and not very successful (one I tried was almond flour based).

Then my research turned up “thins,” like those thin buns for weight watchers. Cauliflower based thins turn out to be firm, bready, and like 1g of carbs per slice. There is a cauliflower flavor, but that’s okay. (Maybe everyone knows, but you can get cauliflower pretzels, pizza bases, just about anything.)

Also saw similar thins made from coconut. Not sure about that. There are cheeseburgers in my immediate future.

#27 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:14 AM

You never order a smoked fish plate? I would estimate that 90% of the smoked salmon and other smoked fish I’ve eaten in my life has come without a bagel.

I'd estimate that 96.2% of the smoked fish I've eaten has come with a bagel, toasted bialy, rye, or pumpernickel.  Up in Provincetown recently, I was turned onto local bluefish, freshly smoked, on good buttered rye with a squeeze of lemon. Not bad.

#28 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,220 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 06:17 AM

I love Blue Moon (even if they "beat up their fish", as one chef I know put it).  But I find their smoked fish (bluefish very much included) to be too rich, even for a pig like me.

This is no reflection on what's available in Ptown, obvs.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#29 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 11:50 AM

I love Blue Moon (even if they "beat up their fish", as one chef I know put it).  But I find their smoked fish (bluefish very much included) to be too rich, even for a pig like me.

This is no reflection on what's available in Ptown, obvs.

I totally agree, after I very recently tried Blue Moon's, (or was in Pura Vida's?), and you should have tasted the smoked blue in Ptown! Talk about rich.

But both versions are not my favorite, as they are very moist (if that's the right term), and I really prefer a drier style of hot smoked fish.

I think smoked blue really works best when it's turned into a paté or something similar. Which they do at Cafe Katja. (and where they serve it with, ummmmm, toast).

#30 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,234 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:28 PM

Where I grew up, of course, smoked salmon was primarily a Scottish (or Irish) thing, and I never saw a Scottish bialy. Also ate a lot of smoked herring and mackerel. Smoked haddock regularly, served hot with egg and potato. Not to mention Arbroath smokies.

Sure we had the bagel and lox opportunities in the East End, at Bloom’s and on Ridley Road, but that wasn’t the primary way I ate smoked fish. Different lives.