mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,651 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 04:41 AM

is what?

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#3 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,766 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 04:47 PM

So secchu means compromise, but when it is used (not that often), it might also mean fusion or a blend. Here it is a bit of both because the meal is a compromise between a tempura meal which would just be a sequence of fried items with maybe one raw course, and a kaiseki meal where the point (well, a point) is to have a variety of preparation methods, and also because there are some French-ish techniques applied. The meal started with non-tempura appetizers, including a sashimi course (sawara, on top of an exceptional slice of dashi braised daikon), a pate of bobo chicken liver served with an onsen tamago to be used as sauce, a little tomato soup with thyme oil, and something else I forget, before proceeding to tempura items (nanohana, hirame, tachiuo, anago, hotategai, kurumaebi, satsuma imo), a soba dish (very good green soba topped with beef) and dessert. Le Zaune à Dédée and some Shichida 75 went well with everything as you'd expect. Surprisingly inexpensive given you're paying a plane ticket for many ingredients.

Six seats, not douchy, nice folks.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#4 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,651 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 01:16 AM

indeed the $75-100 omakase puts it right in the sweet spot of the price range we're looking at for  dinner out in august. still waiting to see if there will be tables available at crown shy and/or rezdora on the nights we have sitters but i'm now tempted to do either crown shy or rezdora one night and this place the other

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson