Photo

Once Upon a Time .... in Hollywood (spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 12:15 AM

OK. Nobody cares, but:

America is the Stupid County, so we get the Stupid Godard. Tarantino doesn't care about anything beyond Pop Culture, so that's all we get from him. People who are smart about being ignorant congratulate themselves on movies like this, as if knowing a lot about stupid retrograde shit make you literate. And Tarantino's politics are rearguard-to-atrocious.

Don't get me wrong: it's great that a movie so intelligently put together can get a major studio release and attract a mass audience. I had a great time watching this, and would recommend it to anyone wanting a fun night out.

But, as I said in a different context, we should all leave this country. It's hopeless. The President himself says we should.

Interesting that you make the Godard comparison.  As you probably know, Godard did a film "Bande a part" released in the US as "Band of Outsiders."  Interesting dance sequence.  Until 2006, Tarantino's production company was A Band Apart.  That's my two cents on pop culture.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#17 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,760 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 12:20 AM

Of course. Godard is Taratino’s great model. It’s obvious.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#18 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,006 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 01:08 AM

@sneak of course European movies are better.

My daughter went to see this today. Will relay her perspective.

I watch the Tarantinos when convenient, but not too excited.

#19 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:28 AM

Of course. Godard is Taratino’s great model. It’s obvious.

I'm not sure I agree.  They do both rely on great cinematographers (I don't want to understate this) but so do many others.  I burnt out on Godard with "Numero Deux."  I can't see Tarantino ever making a film close to that (to his credit).  Tarantino tries to make box office hits, maybe second tier hits, but still hits.  What are Godard's hits?  "Tout Va Bien"?  Has Tarantino ever made an on the street, on the fly film like "Breathless"?  And you mentioned Tarantino's politics, certainly Godard was not a model for that.  I guess they do both like to be edgy, and they do both know how to focus on the charm of an actress.  I think what they have most in common is an ability to evoke the zeitgeist of an era.  Maybe they are both children of Marx and Coca-Cola, but Tarantino seems more influenced by martial arts films than Marx.

Then that happened.

#20 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:38 AM

@sneak of course European movies are better.

I think this is an easy take.  Certainly, with the super hero films and the action films, American cinema is in decline.  But if you look at the past, it's a close call.  https://mubi.com/lis...favourite-films

Then that happened.

#21 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,760 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:53 AM

Yeah, Howard Hawks and John Ford have no need to worry about comparisons with Europeans.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#22 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,760 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:55 AM

Tarantino tries to make box office hits, maybe second tier hits, but still hits. . . .  Tarantino seems more influenced by martial arts films than Marx.

As we say on the foodboards, proves my point.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#23 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:55 AM

Yeah, Howard Hawks and John Ford have no need to worry about comparisons with Europeans.

In their era, they were commanding presences.

Then that happened.

#24 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,760 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:00 AM

I was being totally serious.  They're commanding presences still.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#25 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,760 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:02 AM

Next time anyone makes a movie as great as The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, PLEASE text me immediately.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#26 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:05 AM

When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.

Then that happened.

#27 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,868 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:11 PM

Thank you for this. I just can’t get with Tarantino and I’m so glad to see I’m not alone. Coen brothers on the other hand I would happily put up against any European art house director.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#28 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,868 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:18 PM

OTOH who are the good current European directors? Haneke for sure but so unrelenting. Akin has his moments but he gets too sentimental. Von Trier i only liked The Five Obstructions as it kept his not so latent misogyny in check. Ok Almodovar is always awesome. Others?
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#29 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,760 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:19 PM

Godard is still out there making movies.  I enjoy Gaspar Noe, but that's more a guilty pleasure than something I'd objectively recommend as good.  Olivier Assayas (although his last U.S. release, Non-Fiction [which I didn't see], seemed to have epitomized all his worst tendencies).

Agnes Varda, up until a few months ago.

But yeah, this is not a Golden Age.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#30 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,681 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:15 PM

I was gonna say assayas but sneak beat me to it, and I haven’t seen all of them.

claire denis has some really good movies, mike leigh, I think almost all the von trier movies are good.