28 replies to this topic

#16 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,891 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 11:39 PM

I’ll bet (hope?) (they’d fucking better?) they have a good natural wine selection.

To acid what kistler is to oak.

(I was glad maaemo was trending away from natural wines, actually)

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#17 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,760 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 11:42 PM

I don’t see anything else going with Nordic—although of course Maaemo isn’t full-out Nordic. So, right for them.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#18 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,891 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 11:48 PM

Arnot Roberts with every course?

I hear you in Nordic. There’s a philosophical coherence. Had an older Julian Haart Riesling at Maaemo. Worked extremely well.

#19 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,331 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 01:17 AM

And all speculating aside, wouldn't the best stuff to drink with this food, (along with the most reasonable markups) be wines from Sonoma County and surrounding regions?

Markups - maybe.

Best wine to drink - that's an interesting question w/r/t New World wines in major New World restaurants, but is this really food of the California terroir?

Single Thread seems about as California terroir as you can get. 

The restaurant is in a downtown location in Healdsburg, Single Thread farm itself being four miles away. This supplies food for the restaurant, and upwards of 70% of the vegetables that appear on the plate here are from this farm. Other ingredients come from other Californian farms or further afield, with much of the fish imported directly from Japan.

#20 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,891 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 02:49 PM

So, no, not really. This is a restaurant serving cheffy modern food with local ingredients except where the best ingredients are from elsewhere (fish from Japan). Not a critique - some or the best restaurants in the world do this - but I would see no reason to presume that California wines go better with this food than French wines. Which isn’t to say that there isn’t a strong philosophical case for drinking California wines with this food (eg. The Willows Inn list is near-exclusively Washington stuff) but I’m not sure that there’s an obvious link based on taste or history (eg. The Willows Inn’s food would do just as well, if not better, with Old World wines).

#21 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,760 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 03:07 PM

What always amuses me is that people seem to think they should drink Spanish or South American wines with Mexican food on cultural grounds, when in fact there's this other huge major wine-producing region they're ignoring that used to be part of actual Mexico.  (Of course, the real kicker is that no wine goes really well with Mexican food -- and that natural wine from, well, anywhere goes better than regular wine does.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#22 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,331 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 03:30 PM

Of course I could just drink this:

SingleThread Farms, Domesticated Wild Ale 2017 24

#23 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,766 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:33 PM

What always amuses me is that people seem to think they should drink Spanish or South American wines with Mexican food on cultural grounds, when in fact there's this other huge major wine-producing region they're ignoring that used to be part of actual Mexico. (Of course, the real kicker is that no wine goes really well with Mexican food -- and that natural wine from, well, anywhere goes better than regular wine does.)

Actually I've found that many Mexican people of the wine drinking classes share that thought (i guess in part because they identify with the cultured occupiers), even though it makes no sense.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#24 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,331 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:03 PM

Stockholm syndrome?

#25 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:15 PM

What always amuses me is that people seem to think they should drink Spanish or South American wines with Mexican food on cultural grounds, when in fact there's this other huge major wine-producing region they're ignoring that used to be part of actual Mexico.  (Of course, the real kicker is that no wine goes really well with Mexican food -- and that natural wine from, well, anywhere goes better than regular wine does.)

When Feniger & Milliken (the Two Hot Tamales) first started Border Grill, they were not licensed for hard liquor.  But they made a delicious wine margarita.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#26 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,891 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:12 PM

What always amuses me is that people seem to think they should drink Spanish or South American wines with Mexican food on cultural grounds, when in fact there's this other huge major wine-producing region they're ignoring that used to be part of actual Mexico. (Of course, the real kicker is that no wine goes really well with Mexican food -- and that natural wine from, well, anywhere goes better than regular wine does.)

Actually I've found that many Mexican people of the wine drinking classes share that thought (i guess in part because they identify with the cultured occupiers), even though it makes no sense.

Though I feel like the philosophical desire to create a coherent food-wine space is a noble one. It just seems like there's a mismatch between food that is very influenced by post-Noma philosophies and the kind of wines that those climates want to produce.

#27 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,006 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:19 AM

When Feniger & Milliken (the Two Hot Tamales) first started Border Grill, they were not licensed for hard liquor. But they made a delicious wine margarita.

I had forgotten the Tamale Bunch until I recently walked by a Mary Sue Milliken restaurant, not now sure where, but Vegas must be a good bet.

#28 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:51 AM

Yep.

#29 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,331 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:39 PM

Arnot Roberts with every course?

I hear you in Nordic. There’s a philosophical coherence. Had an older Julian Haart Riesling at Maaemo. Worked extremely well.

For Adrian:

PRYq9zY.jpg

Though not at Single Thread.