6 replies to this topic

#1 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,331 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 02:51 PM

While I'm sure I'll get around to posting a full write up of our tremendous meal at Single Thread Restaurant, I wanted to share one dish and a thought or two, before it recedes into my memory too much.

KDqDg34.jpg?1

This is the King Crab dish, served in lieu of the now banned foie gras. So, it's rich.

Grilled baby corn (from their farm), with corn butter to dip the corn into. Below is king crab kani miso, which (and Ori will correct me if I'm wrong) is not really miso, but the king crab other stuff grilled in its shell with sake.  It was pretty fucking awesome, and it was served with a French wine, from Paso Robles; a Tablas Creek Late Harvest Petit Manseng, 2016. It was a fine pairing. 

Of the 9 wines poured in the wine pairing, 4 are California wines, 1 German, 2 Austrian, 1 from Lebanon (a 1989 Chateau Musar, Obaideh and Merwah), and 1 saké (served with a stunning black cod dish).

More later or whenever, but I need coffee stat.

#2 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 04:35 PM

When doing the full write up, please be sure to include which course(s) you paired with the Pabst.  :)

As an aside, do you really think that a paper bag is the best method to carry your drink?  Hope you decided on a nice cloth sack, from free range massaged sheep or single strain cotton.

As a 2nd aside, I haven't had a Chateau Musar since the early days of Landmark.  Back then, an '89 would've been young.  As would you.

Happy b-days to you both.

This space available… contact owner.

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,760 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 04:52 PM

I have so much Musar at home I'm sick of it.  Not.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,766 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 05:13 PM

Looks great. Brooklyn Fare French Japanese meets New Nordic.  

I'm really for this trend of serving adolescent corn. Flavorful, not exceedingly sweet, a chance to get some smoke from the husk.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#5 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,331 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:29 PM

It was delish, but I don’t know how much the 5 porters like it, as they’re the ones who spend hours prepping it!

#6 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,331 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:51 AM

So word around town (Healdsburg, Sonoma, et al.), and amongst the people in the hospitality biz, is that there had been a lot of cancellations, no shows, etc. due to the reports about fire, floods, etc. I mean, the owners of the inn where we're staying lost at least 75 bookings over the past however many months due to above.

Expect to perhaps see some bargains due to excess inventory.

#7 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:54 PM

I have so much Musar at home I'm sick of it. Not.

Do you know what’s happening with them? They seem to have slowed production? It’s kind of hard to get a straight answer