7 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,112 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 11:57 PM

Reminiscing on the Today I Played thread about occasions when I got “the giggles.” UK expression? It’s when you’re seized with the uncontrollable urge to laugh hysterically in completely inappropriate circumstances. Like a funeral, a church service, a lecture, an earnest folk music performance, or in an interview.

It can be physically painful to suppress the giggles. And if audible, they upset other people.

I have been much afflicted. Anyone else? Here’s one: the awful stage musical “The Buddy Holly Story.” There was plenty to snigger at, but when the cast comes out dressed in black looking all solemn after the plane crash, me and my buddy lost it. Out of our seats howling with laughter. Very unpopular with the audience.

If anyone has any stories, I will reward you with a full recounting of the night of “Mike Batt’s The Hunting of the Snark.”

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,112 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 11:57 PM

I have some good interview ones too.

#3 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 02:48 AM

On Christmas Day, my family and I attended mass at a relative's home. There were probably 30-40 people there (mostly relatives), and at one point, we had to hold hands while the priest said a prayer. I think the priest fancied himself an oratorical genius, and his prayer was rather bombastic. I had already stifled a giggle when my mother squeezed my hand during a particularly enthusiastic part of the prayer, and that did me in. I couldn't stop laughing, and it was a LONG prayer. On my other side was my cousin's daughter, whom I barely knew, and she started laughing, too. I later found out some people seated much farther away were watching us and they started laughing, too. I think one of the only people not laughing was my mother, and it was her fault I laughed in the first place.

We still giggle about it, and it was more than 10 years ago. Echo laughs are the best!

#4 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,112 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 05:12 AM

There you go.

So I am with a close friend and we are interviewing a lot of candidates for a paralegal position with a law firm. We have a guy coming in with experience with a very well established firm of solicitors called Shufflebottoms. True, family name.

We thought we could handle it, but as the poor guy repeatedly had to say Shuffle Bottom, I could feel my friend quaking next to me. We lost it, unprofessionally, wept with laughter, apologized, and hired him.

#5 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:58 AM

I’m getting the giggles that Wilf will tell us what gives him the giggles but won’t tell us what’s hilarious ... in Opentable

#6 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 01:49 PM

I can't recall why now, but back in high school, I got them in class and really got in trouble.

But this is what I thought of immediately. https://www.youtube....h?v=YmBK5GslDaQ

Deb
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

#7 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,899 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:08 PM

Recently actually. There was a big serious internal event, about 100 people present, with our CEO and another very important CEO having a big serious discussion about corporate social responsibility.

They take questions from the audience and the first one is from some lady who starts going on about female energy and vibrations and how she'd talked to her healer etc. went on for what seemed like ten minutes.

The woman next to me and I made eye contact and I could barely hold it together after that, I was trying so hard to not laugh that my eyes started welling up and I (I'm pretty sure audibly) sobbed instead. 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#8 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,850 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:36 PM

If you ever had the chance to observe the Jewish priestly blessing without getting the giggles you are a far more serious person than I could ever be.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns