#1 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:05 PM

Who has a donabe? Ori???

Well, after dinner at Single Thread Restaurant a few weeks ago, and after receiving

AdAzHii.jpg?1

as a memento, I had to go out and buy a donabe. Or not go out and buy one, but order one. Though I wonder if a Chinese sandy pot might not work just as well, at about a millionth of the price?

Anyway...

mdhZ92V.jpg?1

The one I ordered is way too big for just the two of us, but will be nice when we have a small dinner with another couple. I'll be heading down to Korin to get a more practical sized donabe soon.

Any donabe cooking going on?

#2 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,216 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:25 PM

one of those things I look at and go "oh cool-  I should buy that" 10 minutes of shopping late "What am I doing. I'll use this as much as I use my tagine"

As some of you know we're in the process of looking for a house in the burbs. Realtor asked me what I was looking for in a kitchen. "Don't worry about it, no one will have what I want - but the one thing I'd like that might be reasonable is a massive hood setup"  "Ok - what are you looking to do with that" "I'd like to be able to have a japanese charcoal grill in my kitchen"

Kind of rendered her speechless.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#3 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 02:18 PM

I have a clay pot I got when I ordered in from A-Wah a few years ago. It's sort of the same thing, and I've cooked in it a few times. But mostly, its function is "bowl."

nHlbRit.jpg

#4 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 02:42 PM

one of those things I look at and go "oh cool-  I should buy that" 10 minutes of shopping late "What am I doing. I'll use this as much as I use my tagine"

As some of you know we're in the process of looking for a house in the burbs. Realtor asked me what I was looking for in a kitchen. "Don't worry about it, no one will have what I want - but the one thing I'd like that might be reasonable is a massive hood setup"  "Ok - what are you looking to do with that" "I'd like to be able to have a japanese charcoal grill in my kitchen"

Kind of rendered her speechless.

Just as long as the kitchen and venting area will be able to handle a hood, you'll be OK since you'll probably renovate, and then can put in whatever 1600 CFM hood you want. Think of all the deep frying!! (And make-up air).

I have a clay pot I got when I ordered in from A-Wah a few years ago. It's sort of the same thing, and I've cooked in it a few times. But mostly, its function is "bowl."

It's been a while since I ordered from A-Wah, but when I was in that mode, I started giving the pots back to the delivery guys.  I have one or two somewhere.

I do think donabe will be used more than tagine (I like rice dishes more than couscous, if that means anything), and I also feel like there is a lot to learn about and cook in a donabe that might not make it in a 1 liter sandy pot. 

#5 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,850 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:17 PM

We have one donabe that´s of a somewhat different style - taller and narrower, something like this:

https://item.rakuten...store/0036r002/

It is super excellent for beans, but of course useless for induction tops, so we can't really use it here very easily. 

As well as a few other larger ollas, taiwanese earthenware pots, etc. that are more useful for the shop than for home.

It is super excellent for beans, but of course useless for induction tops, so we can't really use it here very easily. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#6 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,236 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:40 PM

I have one, and love it! Sign up for Ms. Moore's email letter. There are (on occasion) some very good recipes in it. And even when there's not, the letter will get me to experiment on my own.

#7 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 11:12 PM

I have one but I don't think I've used it since I left Japan. I'm not even sure where it is. I used to love mine, and would make nabe for one, putting in whatever I had including things my Japanese friends would wince at (what's wrong with putting kabocha in nabe?). I would always have leftovers, so I would put the pot in the fridge and add more stuff the next day. I could eat for a whole week from one nabe.

#8 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:07 AM

I have one, and love it! Sign up for Ms. Moore's email letter. There are (on occasion) some very good recipes in it. And even when there's not, the letter will get me to experiment on my own.

Thanks!

Her videos are certainly cute - do you have a link to her newsletter, cause I'm looking all over and can't find it.

#9 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,868 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 02:33 PM

wrong post 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#10 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,236 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:22 PM

I’ll send you a link when I get the next one.

#11 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 01:29 AM

I don't know if it's the right mailing list, but at the very bottom of https://toirokitchen.com/ you can enter your email address. (It's at the very bottom on my phone. Don't know what it would look like when not in a phone)