9 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:16 PM

Haenyeo -- the latest occupant of that former funeral parlor across the street from Al Di La in Park Slope -- is always referred to as a Korean seafood restaurant (the name is a word for female sea-divers whose economic prominence generated a semi-matriarchal society in a region of Korea), and I guess the menu tilts slightly toward fish.  But one of the best dishes is the fried chicken, so don't take that too seriously.

What it definitely is, is Nouvelle Korean.  This is the very definition of an Asian cuisine "updated" with Euro ingredients and, to a lesser extent, kitchen techniques.  But it's very unpretentious.

Most important, it works.  The food is delicious.  And -- don't get me wrong -- not in any way overelaborate.  Probably my favorite dish was a braised (at least I think it was braised) sablefish in a garlic mushroom sauce.  Not a complicated dish, but one jumping with flavor.

I had thought that the kind-of-nearby Insa, serving more trad food, had to be the best possible Korean restaurant in Brooklyn.  But I'd have to give Haenyeo the edge.

A more interesting comparison would be with Atoboy in Manhattan.  But I've never been to Atoboy.  Anyone?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 11:43 PM

Wasn’t a huge fan based on my one visit. Three out of four dishes by my analysis had the exact same sauce on them, with different proteins in the middle. Maybe one had a gram more garlic and another a gram less sesame, I dunno. But all were interchangeable. Maybe we ordered wrong, but a) pick one and replace the others on the menu, and b) waitstaff should know enough to say “those dishes are really similar”

As to your last question, Atoboy is fucking dynamite.

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:55 AM

I think it may be more that I ordered inadvertently right.

None of the dishes we ordered, by fortuitous chance, COULD have resembled each other.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 Josh Karpf

Josh Karpf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 03:31 PM

I must try Insa again, as well as Haenyeo for the first time. My one Insa visit was more focused on friends and a Scorpion Bowl. It could have been called Incheon Iced Tea. We hadn't come to sing, but the restaurant comped us some karaoke time after an order snafu. Karaoke is punishment, not a reward. Next time I want to pay attention to the food.

Here's a tax photo of Cusimano & Russo circa 1939-1941 (a funeral parlor since 1929; maybe they handled the jumped-from-roof suicide that year of the bankrupted architect of the building we've moved into):

jt680ty.jpg

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 04:02 PM

The pro tip for Insa is to forgo the barbecue and eat the rest of the menu in the bar/lounge, which is much nicer than the dining room (and farther away from the karaoke).
Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 04:37 PM

The pro tip for Insa is to forgo the barbecue and eat the rest of the menu in the bar/lounge, which is much nicer than the dining room (and farther away from the karaoke).

Exactly that. 

Also, speaking of extended-neighborhood modern Korean, I have some love for Mokbar. Especially for hungover brunch.

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 04:39 PM

I like Mokbar a lot, but I think of it more as snacks than dinner.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 06:36 PM

the bbq at the haenyo is much better than it is at insa anyways.

#9 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:46 PM

Atoboy is on another level than Haenyeo, but Haenyeo is still worth visiting for the rice cake queso fundido alone.

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:54 PM

Yeah, the rice cake queso fundido!

Bar Loser

MF Old

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nouvelle Korean, Park Slope