17 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,195 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:36 PM

I couldn't get it up to post a write-up of Frevo, and now I'm scooped.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,195 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:42 PM

Let me type a few notes.

1.  The food is very good.  I wanted it to be a bit better.  But OTOH, the price is fair.

2.  For reasons that are easy to see, as a date spot this is just OFF THE CHARTS.  You meet at Existing Conditions, have a drink, and then walk across the street into this art gallery where they greet you and open a door hidden behind a painting for you to enter into this serene dining area.   It's very hard for someone not to be impressed by this (unless he or she is the type to think it's stupid) (but Stone's already married).

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,222 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:00 PM

I had never heard of it before today.

#4 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,571 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:08 PM

Had only he cooked the duck in that first picture.

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,195 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:17 PM

OK, now I'll get going.

That's kind of the problem with this place -- and why, although I quite enjoyed it (quite quite), I couldn't motivate myself to write about it.

It's pretty much generic upscale "imaginative" restaurant cooking, French division. So, for example, you KNOW the duck will be undercooked -- because that's the way these places (ALL of them) cook it.

Now that's a predictable bad feature. But the problem was that all the good features were kind of predictable as well (even the "odd" uses of quinoa were sort of predictable, as an obligatory "quirky" trope).

OTOH, the technical level of the kitchen was sky-high.

I guess it's funny: people like me complain that there isn't enough of This Kind Of Cooking available; and then, when a place like this opens, we complain that it's boring.

But thinking it over more, the problem isn't that it's boring to eat. It ISN'T boring to eat. It's very enjoyable: I'll happily keep going back to this place, in the unlikely event I can still get in after this review.*

The problem is that it's boring to write about. (Which may be why there's so much filler in Wells's review.)
* Well, subject to my own personal problem with places like this, which is that mandatory tasting menu spots in my hometown don't fit into my daily hometown life. I was here for a special-occasion date (which also meant that I had to go along with my dining companion's going for every single supplement, SIGH.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,222 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:22 PM

You are making it sound Hergatt-ish. Am I reading you right?

I hate undercooked duck (raw duck is fine, see Mancora of all places duck ceviche).

#7 sweatshorts

sweatshorts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:24 PM

(Which may be why there's so much filler in Wells's review.)

Fourteen paragraphs, four of them mention the food.  Did someone from The Infatuation sub in for this review?

#8 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,195 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:25 PM

You are making it sound Hergatt-ish. Am I reading you right?

I see why you'd say that, but not exactly.  It's more refined/modern/contemporary, and less mass-produced seeming, than Hergatt's food was.

I guess, more International Small-Place Style than International Big-Place Style.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#9 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,222 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:27 PM

I think I get you.

Maybe a bit like Partage in LV at double the price. The setting sounds great.

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,195 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:30 PM

The setting is pretty great.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 01:29 AM

2. For reasons that are easy to see, as a date spot this is just OFF THE CHARTS.

I always figure the surprise factor will wear off such places, especially after the New York Times blows up the spot - yet I still meet people who’ve lived here a decade or more that will have their minds BLOWN by PDT or Angel’s Share.

#12 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,195 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:29 AM

Fortunately for me, my dating pool doesn’t read the New York Times.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#13 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,195 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:59 AM

I have to add that the great thing (probably the ONLY great thing) about the duck I made myself last night was that it wasn’t undercooked.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#14 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 04:03 AM

Some pics   https://www.alexande...in-manhattan-a/

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#15 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,571 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 10:29 AM

(Which may be why there's so much filler in Wells's review.)

Fourteen paragraphs, four of them mention the food.  Did someone from The Infatuation sub in for this review?

I think it was Tejal Rao.

I always figure the surprise factor will wear off such places, especially after the New York Times blows up the spot - yet I still meet people who’ve lived here a decade or more that will have their minds BLOWN by PDT or Angel’s Share.

But other than the surprise factor of walking through a phone booth to get into PDT, isn't it still really great?

And because it was fairly ground-breaking, that certainly adds to its allure - I mean, the Benton's OId-Fashioned came from its kitchen.