11 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,222 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 12:18 AM

I have been furnished some pig stomach, and I’ve actually not cooked it before. Went online expecting Asian stir frys, but found countless hog maw recipes from Pennsylvanian grandmothers, who presumably served it as a break from scrapple.

Thoughts? Stuff it? Cook slow or fast?

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,956 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 12:22 AM

Ain't nothing wrong with callos de cerdo.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#3 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,222 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 12:31 AM

I’m sure. Treat it as tripe, then.

#4 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,956 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 12:36 AM

Yes. Also you can blanch briefly, then marinade in some salty and sweet combo (e.g. soy+mirin) and grill. Chewy results.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#5 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,907 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 12:58 AM

I have been furnished some pig stomach, and I’ve actually not cooked it before. Went online expecting Asian stir frys, but found countless hog maw recipes from Pennsylvanian grandmothers, who presumably served it as a break from scrapple.

Pdutch also stuff the stomache. Often time with dried apple
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#6 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,736 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 02:34 AM

curry?

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#7 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,222 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:28 PM

Well you can make curry from anything, especially eggs and bananas.

#8 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,222 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:29 PM

Pdutch also stuff the stomache. Often time with dried apple

I do like the look of the stuffed recipes. Logically same idea as haggis, of course.

#9 cinghiale

cinghiale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 04:13 PM

Saumagen. It was Helmut Kohl's favorite dish - he did his best to popularize this Palatinate speciality, hosting dinners at the Deidesheimer Hof with various world leaders of the day (Thatcher didn't much care for it, as I recall). I thought it was during a post-dinner stroll there with Gorbachev that Kohl sealed the withdrawal of troops from the GDR, but I must be conflating two different events. Der Spiegel called it Sow's Stomach Diplomacy (German only). My late wife's aunt would make it for me when we visited family in Kassel. I loved it - much to everyone's disbelief. Good times.

#10 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,222 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 12:06 AM

I would have loved to have served Thatcher pig stomach. It looks great in the first link.

So: the quick sear, as one might attempt with thinly sliced heart, did not work. Rubber.

Slow and very low was the answer. I had one stomach marinated in soy, garlic, ginger, allspice, so that = Chinese; one in a pot with onions and chicken stock. Both good, but honestly both could have cooked for another two hours.

Cleaning them, it was like cleaning octopus bodies. Weird resemblance in color, shape, and texture.

ETA: I am buying the whole pig stomach for $3, hence the experiments. Serves two if you can find someone else (not a problem for me, because Dominicans).

#11 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,222 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 12:10 AM

Oh the broth from the pot is great. Marco could sell it.

#12 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,937 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:57 PM

Saumagen. It was Helmut Kohl's favorite dish - he did his best to popularize this Palatinate speciality, hosting dinners at the Deidesheimer Hof with various world leaders of the day (Thatcher didn't much care for it, as I recall). I thought it was during a post-dinner stroll there with Gorbachev that Kohl sealed the withdrawal of troops from the GDR, but I must be conflating two different events. Der Spiegel called it Sow's Stomach Diplomacy (German only). My late wife's aunt would make it for me when we visited family in Kassel. I loved it - much to everyone's disbelief. Good times.

Omg I’ve actually been in Deidesheimer Hof. But I had Spargel.

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot