200 replies to this topic

#31 beans

beans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 12:05 AM

I think it's a given that since there are at least 17 PNWers here, there should be a PNW forum here used to chat, set up get togethers or whatever we want to do here, ie. like eG used to be before the new policy went into affect.  (and I say that neutrally as a fact).

Great idea Leslie! It would be great to have a separate forum for Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia/Portland posters. It seems to make more sense!

And Leslie, thanks for hosting the forum.

Emphasis mine.

kay?

We all know people who can be as gratuitously insulting about soup as they can about the Senate. - g.johnson

#32 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 12:13 AM

I think it's a given that since there are at least 17 PNWers here, there should be a PNW forum here used to chat, set up get togethers or whatever we want to do here, ie. like eG used to be before the new policy went into affect.  (and I say that neutrally as a fact).

Great idea Leslie! It would be great to have a separate forum for Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia/Portland posters. It seems to make more sense!

And Leslie, thanks for hosting the forum.

Emphasis mine.

kay?

aha. :(

#33 girl chow

girl chow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 12:17 AM

Oops. Sorry, my bad on the terminology. I should have said thanks for "admining" or something to that effect?

#34 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 12:59 AM

Oops. Sorry, my bad on the terminology. I should have said thanks for "admining" or something to that effect?

thanks. :(

I'm really glad you are here, too.

It was so good to see so many at the recent Taiwanese banquet that Rocky organized for us. Has anyone been back?

Today I had lunch at a new Thai restaurant Tom Yum Koong in the West Seattle Junction (next to Jaks on California SW). The menu looks upscale and it is advertised as Thai fine dining. I had the house Tom Yum Koong soup, 1 huge Prawn (including the head and tail) and good sized straw mushrooms in broth. Not bad, but it needed something.( maybe more prawns :(). Hubby had beef Phad Thai (one star, he is a light weight)... and it was very fresh/bright tasting. But I think I prefer Siam Pura on Alki, also fresh/bright flavors, from what little experience I have at each place.

Then, I went down to White Center and bought my ingredients for the Rajas and Conchinitas on the Mexican cooking thread here.

I discovered a great place to buy freshly made corn tortillas, too, in Burien. They are made in the grocery store Guadalupe on 128th and 16thSW near Jack in the Box (and not too far from Ambaum). I watched them come out of the roller oven and they were piping hot as they were bagged up. When I got home I immediately ate 2, still soft and warm. Yum! They also sell housemade tortilla chips and I got a package to try out.

While in White Center, I popped into a Korean store called White Center Market, I think, (a hole in the wall place, around the corner from Angkor Cambodian market) and bought some housemade kimchee, a fair sized jar for $4.99. It came highly recommended from a shopper there who said restaurants buy from this lady.

So that was my day today. I was supposed to go to a funeral in Eastern WA, but chose not to go over the pass today, it was snowing, and I don't have snow tires.

I know this was off topic, but since we don't have a forum yet, I'm using this one for some catchall conversation, too. :(

oh yes, also stopped at the library to pick up 6 cookbooks I had on request. :(

edit to add:
I also discovered a nice Mexican meat market today in White Center called Carniceria El Paisano (206) 767-5526, 9629 15th Ave SW Seattle. It's small, but has a clean looking deli case with various seasoned meats. I immediated was drawn to their marinated al pastor de puerco (smallish pork bits w/onion) for $3.49lb. I just finished pan grilling some quickly (got nice crispy char-ish on outside, but still juicy inside) to put into a couple of soft corn tortillas, and I have to say it was truly excellent. On par with the taco wagons if not yummier. I highly recommend you trying this stuff. I don't know what they season it with, but it's great.

#35 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:41 AM

Then, I went down to White Center....

Well, well, well....Leslie has been slumming it down in my neighborhood. Ya just HAD to tell everyone about the carniceria, didn't you?.... :(
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#36 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 03:01 AM

Then, I went down to White Center....

Well, well, well....Leslie has been slumming it down in my neighborhood. Ya just HAD to tell everyone about the carniceria, didn't you?.... :(

:( .... oops. :( . Hey, I'm slummin' in W. Seattle.

Tighe and scrat have a lovely home (which is not at the carniceria), and I've been there. :(

Seriously, though... have you been to the carcineria I thought I just discovered?

#37 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 03:09 AM

Are you people still here? Get your own forum!

KIDDING KIDDING KIDDING KIDDING KIDDING :(

(Actually, it's been a lot of fun seeing the familiar PNWs from elsewhere show up here on mouthfuls. I always did keep tabs on that board, and it seemed like a lot of fun folks. Plus, I do occasionally make it up there. I really do love the PNW. Really.)
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#38 girl chow

girl chow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 04:02 AM

KIDDING KIDDING KIDDING KIDDING KIDDING :(

(Actually, it's been a lot of fun seeing the familiar PNWs from elsewhere show up here on mouthfuls. I always did keep tabs on that board, and it seemed like a lot of fun folks. Plus, I do occasionally make it up there. I really do love the PNW. Really.)

SM, first off, please tell us the next time you're in our hood. We'll arrange some kind of gathering, like a Tawainese banquet (or rather, Rocky will do all the planning, we'll do all the eating .. thanks again Rocky for organizing that outing a few weeks back, the Rocking Wok, well, ROCKS).

And second, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU BURIEN/W. SEATTLE folks have never posted (anywhere) about that carniceria. I know the neighborhood (or thereabouts), but haven't had an excuse to go there much. I think we ought to revive our taco quest over here on this board! Anyone been to Rinconsito lately? I keep hearing they suck! THE HORROR!

#39 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 04:11 AM

KIDDING KIDDING KIDDING KIDDING KIDDING  :(

SM, first off, please tell us the next time you're in our hood. We'll arrange some kind of gathering, like a Tawainese banquet (or rather, Rocky will do all the planning, we'll do all the eating .. thanks again Rocky for organizing that outing a few weeks back, the Rocking Wok, well, ROCKS).

And second, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU BURIEN/W. SEATTLE folks have never posted (anywhere) about that carniceria. I know the neighborhood (or thereabouts), but haven't had an excuse to go there much. I think we ought to revive our taco quest over here on this board! Anyone been to Rinconsito lately? I keep hearing they suck! THE HORROR!

Yes, Squeat...just let us know when you're coming. :(

girl chow... I had not heard Rinconsito had gone down hill. It must be contageous because when I stopped for a carnitas taco at my standard taco bus in White Center, it sucked, too, and the tortillas were hard. Not to mention the whole enclosed picnic area smelled strongly of bleach. (one of my pet peeves is smelling bleach while I'm trying to eat :( ). So I ate it walking back to the car. And then I went home and made a better one myself with my ingredients I bought today.

Yes, I'd love to do a taco crawl in White Center or Burien and find some new favorites.

#40 girl chow

girl chow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 04:56 AM

Mmmmmm... taco crawl. We should really get Anita involved in our taco quest, she's got a radar for good Mexican food. :(

#41 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 05:03 AM

Mmmmmm... taco crawl. We should really get Anita involved in our taco quest, she's got a radar for good Mexican food. :(

I just had a thought. Maybe we should wait for warmer weather? It was a bit nippy out today, and if we visit any taco buses, we may have to sit outside (although I did notice the bus today had a large heater by the outdoor tables.)

#42 girl chow

girl chow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 05:15 AM

oh yeah, the cold and rain and stuff. Uck. Maybe we should all just get together and make tacos in someone's kitchen. :(

#43 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2005 - 09:40 AM

Mmmmmm, taco trucks. Your very welcome Girl Chow, any time at all. A taco truck crawl sounds awesome.

Rocky

#44 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 06:30 PM

"Taco crawl" -- man, you just made my day.
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#45 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2005 - 06:57 PM

What do you guiys typically order from a taco truck? I almost always get something with lengua and pastor, whether it's a taco, torta, or whatever other package they have.

Rocky