#2191 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,366 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:32 PM

We know this as a Napoleon.    

A Gentleman in Moscow was a delightful read.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#2192 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:00 PM

McSweeney's on "Dante’s Nine Circles of Hell, Reimagined for Linguistic Transgressions" by John Rauschenberg (from November 2017)

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#2193 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:52 AM

"He eats 1/2 a cup twice a day"

Does this mean he eats 1 cup total (1/2 cup at two different times in a day) or 1/2 cup total (1/4 cup at two different times in a day)?

#2194 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:11 AM

I would understand it as one cup total.

#2195 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:18 PM

"He eats 1/2 a cup twice a day"

Does this mean he eats 1 cup total (1/2 cup at two different times in a day) or 1/2 cup total (1/4 cup at two different times in a day)?

First, it should be either "He eats 1/2 cup twice a day" OR "He eats a half cup twice a day." And no, it should not be "a half-cup." I see too many instances of "1/2 a cup"--or worse, "a 1/2 a cup"-- or of "a half-cup" daily.

Now: as small h says, 1 cup total: 1/2 cup at one time + 1/2 cup at another time.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#2196 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,603 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:23 PM

What's wrong with his appetite, is my question.

#2197 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:27 PM

Maybe he's a cat.

#2198 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,603 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:28 PM

Poor guy. First no appetite, now he's a cat.

#2199 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:09 AM

He is a cat. I'm cat sitting and the written instructions are to feed one cat half a can (sorry, not cup as I originally wrote, and written as "1/2 a can") twice a day, and the other cat "a 1/4 can" twice a day (I'm not teaching them, so I'm not correcting it, plus there are no pens around anyway!). And I was feeding them according to my interpretation of the instructions, which was the same as yours. But then I realized there were only nine cans, and I'm here for almost two weeks. If my interpretation were correct, we'd run out of food before the owners got back. And I've been known to misunderstand things, so I asked here since I figured you'd all have better reading comprehension than I.

I asked but haven't heard back from the owners (they're traveling where there is limited to no wifi), so I decided the writer meant 1/2 and 1/4 can total over two feedings. If that's wrong, the cats can go a little hungry. They are cats, after all, but don't tell the owners I said that! Also don't tell them I've forgotten to leave the radio on to provide the kitties with stimulation during the day. Or that I'm only cleaning the litter box once every other day rather than twice a day.

And I think I'm still going to run out of food since I overfed them for the first two days. Oops. Good thing the pet store is just a few blocks away!

#2200 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:28 AM

He is a cat.

Aha!

And I was feeding them according to my interpretation of the instructions, which was the same as yours. But then I realized there were only nine cans, and I'm here for almost two weeks. If my interpretation were correct, we'd run out of food before the owners got back.

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that your initial interpretation was correct, and the owners just can't do math.

#2201 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:02 AM

In that case these cats must be really hungry. No wonder they meow incessantly as soon as they hear me up in the morning, and as soon as I walk through the door after work!

But they only have me for 18 more meals, so they'll just have to go a little hungry a little longer.

#2202 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:12 AM

Oof. Poor cats. Throw 'em a little dry food, at least.

#2203 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:44 AM

And small h is the winner!!

Just heard back and yes, instructions were correct, and they miscalculated how much food to buy. Poor kitties! But it was only for 2 1/2 days that they didn't get appropriate rations, so maybe they're not too scarred.

Each cat gets 1/4 cup dry food before bedtime so they haven't been totally starved. I feel really bad that I haven't broken out the treats, yet. That would have provided them with a little more sustenance!

#2204 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,603 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:52 PM

Feed the fish to the cat and you've solved both problems.

😈😈

#2205 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,603 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:30 AM

I'm sure this is the first time I heard it, but today it stuck: "A ton a ton..." Meaning two tons? One unusually heavy ton?

Thus: "I had to do a ton a ton of prep for that."