236 replies to this topic

#16 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:02 PM

I think we also have a thread on MF about a taco crawl started by girlchow and I think we can merge these 2 threads together (if I can figure out how..)..

edit to add: success, they are merged!

#17 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:13 PM

Thanks, Leslie.

Hey, Sue... sorry to poach your idea. You wanna coordinate the South County day and I will tackle Seattle? (or I can also butt out entirely!)

~A
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#18 sequim

sequim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:40 PM

Me too for one of the days. I'm particularly interested in the south end since I'll be coming over from Port Orchard (being that it's a weekend) but also want to get to know the Burien/White Center taco trucks and dives.

I think it's great that there's been so much going on lately...I just wish I could do it all.

#19 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:02 PM

I'm in for at least one or both days.

Too bad it's not happening today because the weather is absolutely glorious! Let's hope it continues. :blush:

#20 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:09 PM

This is still a great idea and I'm sure that we're all happy if you want to coordinate, Anita. :blush: (I'm happy to help out as needed). I think splitting into two days makes sense.

I'm available on Saturday, Mar 12th and in the afternoon of Sunday, March 13th.

Being somewhat geographically challenged, I have a couple of organizational questions:
What is the delineation between Seattle and South County? In other words, are Burien and White Center being done along with Seattle and Bellevue venues? Is this logistically too much for one day? :blush:

Shall we carpool?

How many tacos can we eat in one day? :blush: :blush:

Jan
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#21 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:21 PM

I'm game, just when and where and I'll be there with bells on. (maybe not the bells :blush: )

Rocky

#22 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:25 PM

I'd love to participate, but that weekend is FUBAR for me. Maybe we can do round II sometime this summer.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#23 girl chow

girl chow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:28 PM

I'm in! I can offer location suggestions to visit in South County, and it would be great if Tighe and Ye-Ye Girl chimed in (wait, is Ye-Ye girl here yet?). We could either do the Burien area, go down into the Kent valley or maybe even wind up in Tacoma as an alternate location (to be fair, we would have to focus on one of those areas... otherwise, it's too much driving and eating.. wait, did I just say that? Can we EVER have enough eating?).

Something fun I thought might work is to do taco trucks in Burien or Kent, then go shopping at the stores that Leslie mentioned in her post on Burien/White Center.. and then go cook our own Mexican feast that night at the home of someone centrally located who wouldn't mind opening up their kitchen to a bunch of people?

edit disclosure: massive typos

#24 girl chow

girl chow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:35 PM

Thanks, Leslie.

Hey, Sue... sorry to poach your idea. You wanna coordinate the South County day and I will tackle Seattle? (or I can also butt out entirely!)

~A

Ha! Funny. When threads collide.. .. I just noticed all these multiple postings .. thanks for merging the threads Leslie!

I'm perfectly fine with that setup Anita! I can coordinate South County; you take Seattle. I'm in for both days!!

We can save the taco crawl/cooking fiesta for another time.

And it's a damn shame Tighe and Scrat won't be able to join us. We'll definitely have to do round II very soon so they can get their share of taco goodness.

#25 girl chow

girl chow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:44 PM

Being somewhat geographically challenged, I have a couple of organizational questions:
What is the delineation between Seattle and South County? In other words, are Burien and White Center being done along with Seattle and Bellevue venues? Is this logistically too much for one day? :blush:

Shall we carpool?

How many tacos can we eat in one day? :blush: :blush:

Jan

The Eastside probably should be saved for a second trip, it's a bit out of the way for South County and Seattle (you either have to drive 20 minutes over 520 or I-90 from Seattle, or drive 20-30 minutes up 405 from the southend.. thanks to traffic everywhere, even on weekends).

Potentially, the Eastside could have its own day. And Tacoma could have its own day too... there are at least six or seven trucks that operate yearround, and double that during the spring and summer.

Carpooling is a great idea. We could meet at a central park-and-ride, then have two cars (or three?) shuffle us from truck to truck...

I bet we could each eat at least five tacos.

#26 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:57 PM

Kent / Burien / White Center were what I meant by "south county" (forgive my still-emerging sense of PNW geography if that was off the mark -- I'm really still a Californian in sheep's clothing :blush: )

I think that the Eastside deserves its own day, too. I was thinking about just Seattle proper when I said "Seattle".

And I agree that carpooling would be nice, although there's not much of a parking problem at any of the places I can think of off the top of my head.

Me, I have eaten 4 at one sitting at El Rinconsito, so I don't think that 5 or 6 over the course of an afternoon would be problematic. I'd like to check out the stores, too, but agree that the feast might be better done another time. (I'm probably the only one who would want to eat Mexican food three meals a day...)

~A

#27 girl chow

girl chow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:00 PM

Me, I have eaten 4 at one sitting at El Rinconsito, so I don't think that 5 or 6 over the course of an afternoon would be problematic.

That sounds like a challenge! We'll all have to wear our big pants that day.

Ok, sounds like plans are formulating. South County/Burien on March 12 and Seattle on March 13?

#28 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:12 PM

(I'm probably the only one who would want to eat Mexican food three meals a day...)

~A

Nope, I could too!

Chilaquiles for breakfast, tacos for lunch and Pozole for dinner--(or any combination of the above)

I feel the same way about Vietnamese food too :blush:

Jan
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#29 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:21 PM

I dunno about you, but I wear my big pants every day! :blush:

Somewhere I have my writeup of the Presidents Day weekend I spent eating nothing by Mexican food, the first year we lived here. I have a very patient husband...

Edited to add: Sue's proposed schedule works for me. I'll start doing some research on Seattle contenders. Feel free to post or PM with suggestions.

~A

#30 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:37 PM

Chilaquiles for breakfast, tacos for lunch and Pozole for dinner--(or any combination of the above)

Jan

Mmmmmm, chilaquiles. Where do you find chilaquiles up here?

Rocky