#31 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:47 PM

I dunno, I had to go all the way to San Fran to get 'em: mmm, chilaquiles
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#32 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:51 PM

Chilaquiles for breakfast, tacos for lunch and Pozole for dinner--(or any combination of the above)

Jan

Mmmmmm, chilaquiles. Where do you find chilaquiles up here?

Rocky

I wish I knew. I've only had them in Mexico. I love them with an egg over the top, yummmm.

Does anyone know where to get them here?

Jan
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#33 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 11:14 PM

We'll be out of town for this one but I will expect a round 2 on a future date!!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#34 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:05 AM

Mmmmmm, chilaquiles.  Where do you find chilaquiles up here?

I wish I knew. I've only had them in Mexico. I love them with an egg over the top, yummmm.
Does anyone know where to get them here?

Good old amazon menus says:
- Tia Lou's
- El Camino
- Galerias

Hmm, I think I still have a restaurant.com certificate for the latter. :blush:

#35 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:08 AM

Good old amazon menus says:
- Tia Lou's
- El Camino
- Galerias

Hmm, I think I still have a restaurant.com certificate for the latter. :blush:

speakin' a... anyone been to Tia Lou's lately? I went when they were first open and really liked the food, and I'm wondering how they are doing.
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#36 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:16 PM

Based on my shoddy research.... from south to north, here are my proposed contenders for the Inaugural Seattle Taco Crawl, Sunday March 13.

Yes, I know there are too many to tackle in one afternoon, hence I’m looking for a little guidance. My gut says that La Traila is pretty far outside the cluster (and technically not Seattle), and Taqueria El Rey might be a parking hassle, carpool or no. I haven't been to all of these places (in fact, I haven't been to many of them at all), so please speak up if you notice something odd.

Georgetown
- Mexi-Mart / El Molino Rojo 8601 14th Ave. S [can anyone confirm they still sell tacos?]
- Muy Macho 8515 14th Ave. S

Rainier Valley/Columbia City
- Taqueria Dos Hermanos 4801 Rainier Ave. S; west side of Rainier and S. Edmunds St., in Columbia City Plaza parking lot
- Tacos El Asadero 3513 Rainier Ave. S.; west side of Rainier, just north of Mycon Auto at S. Court St.

Downtown
- Taqueria El Rey 217 James St., near the Paramount theatre and the Convention Place bus tunnel entrance.

Ballard/Greenwood
- Gorditos Too 1521 NW 50th St.; northwest corner at 15th Ave. NW, west of Ballard Bridge ramp.
- Malena's Taco Shop 2010 NW 56th St.
- Taqueria Tequila 301 NW 85th St., corner of 3rd Ave NW, across from Fred Meyer

Lake City
- Taqueria Pancho Villa 8064 Lake City Way NE

Shoreline
- La Traila 17964 N. 180th St., behind Plaza Latina, one block east of Aurora Avenue at intersection of North 180th Street and Midvale Avenue North

Note that I left out Burrito Loco, La Carta, etc. due to their being less taquerias than sit-down places (hence they probably won’t appreciate a table of 12 ordering 1 taco each!) and El Puerco Lloron, because they don’t do a la carte tacos. I also left out the original Gorditos because I hated it the half-dozen times we tried it, but I am willing to give it another whirl in this context if there’s enough interest. Also missing is Guaymas, because I think we all know what they taste like… but I have heard rumors that there are some locations that are far superior to others, so again I am open to your thoughts.

Sue, were you going to do Muy Macho / Mexi-Mart in your collection? I know they’re within the Seattle city limits, but I wonder if Georgetown is closer to your grouping than mine. (Remember, I am geographically challenged, so please don’t point and snicker if this is a ridiculous statement.)

Thoughts?

#37 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:30 PM

Nice list!

My two cents:

1. Rather than go all the way to 180th in Shoreline, we could try the truck that Rocky likes on Northgate Way--it's just West of I-5 in a gas station parking lot next to McDonalds and Starbucks. I don't know the exact address/name, but I could find out as it's not too far from me.

2. Absolutely agree about Gordito's. The one meal I had there was so bad, I've never wanted to go back--probably not fair, but there you have it.

Thanks for doing this.

Jan
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#38 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:36 PM

I heard that the Northgate truck is gone, otherwise it would be on my list for sure.

Says the P.I. map:

If you're looking for The Happy Taco, the Northgate-area favorite has closed

If you and/or Rocky can confirm it's still there, I'm all over it.

~A

#39 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:37 PM

Pancho Villa on Lake City is also a sit down restaurant. Della and I went looking for it a few months ago and had a good lunch, we thought it was suppose to be a taco truck too!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#40 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:40 PM

Yeah, I've been there a number of times, but I figured it was casual enough that they wouldn't mind us. Not all of these are taco trucks. :blush: (But that could be another way to cull the excess: If you've got menus, you're off the list!)

~A

#41 laurel

laurel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:14 PM

Downtown
- Taqueria El Rey 217 James St., near the Paramount theatre and the Convention Place bus tunnel entrance.

El Rey is good, and parking there isn't bad at all during the day on weekends (the only big things close to there are the Paramount and some office buildings) but I don't think it's open on Sunday. (also it's on Howell St, not James). I can probably dig up a phone number and call them to make sure.

#42 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:15 PM

I heard that the Northgate truck is gone, otherwise it would be on my list for sure.

Says the P.I. map:

If you're looking for The Happy Taco, the Northgate-area favorite has closed

If you and/or Rocky can confirm it's still there, I'm all over it.

~A

I drove by there on Thursday and the truck was there and it looked open. I don't know if it is called The Happy Taco though. Maybe there are two?
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#43 girl chow

girl chow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 12:51 AM

Sue, were you going to do Muy Macho / Mexi-Mart in your collection? I know they’re within the Seattle city limits, but I wonder if Georgetown is closer to your grouping than mine. (Remember, I am geographically challenged, so please don’t point and snicker if this is a ridiculous statement.)

Thoughts?

Yes! I would consider Muy Mucho and Mexi Mart in Georgetown very easy to group with Burien and Kent taco trucks; and would say those two you listed would be great, as well as one in Burien and then maybe two in Kent? Or is that too ambitious for one afternoon? That would be 5 or 6 stops.
Starting in Kent, we could do the two trucks that are the most popular: the one on Meeker Street just off Central; and the one on the Kent East Hill by the 76th station (near Target and Home Depot).
Then, going to one in Burien would be next (15 minutes), then the two in Georgetown (5-10 minutes).

If that sounds good, I'll go check out this week to make sure all our choices are open (plus find backups just in case they're not open)

I'll have to go hunt the thread from the other place to get the names of the Kent trucks (I've forgotten their names already!)

#44 girl chow

girl chow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 12:52 AM

Oh! If we're not sticking "strictly" with taco trucks, we could to Taqueria El Rinconsito in downtown Kent or hit the one in Burien. They'd both easily serve a group of 12 walking in for tacos (the one in Kent has a drive-thru, hahaha).

#45 laurel

laurel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 01:03 AM

Joe and I went to a Mexican grocery store in Burien with a taco counter. I forget what it's called. They sell tortillas made in the store, it's on Ambaum Blvd, next to a Goodwill.
Has anyone else been there or tried the tacos? We didn't eat there since we wanted to wander back to West Seattle for dinner, but it smelled good :blush: