114 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:52 PM

Wine of the Month

Okay, here goes:

The Way of the Wine (of the Month):

Each month the Wine Dude or Dudette will pick a wine for the group to swirl, sniff, sip, and for Zeus's sake please swallow, not spit! It's only one wine! Then we post back notes and comments to this thread. The Wine Dude(tte) then chooses and PMs the next victim about a week before the end of the month and the cycle repeats. Anyone who has posted during the last month is eligible, so if you can't handle the pressure you'll just have to invite us all over to your house or favorite wine bar to talk about the wine. :blush:

The wines chosen should come from the Pacific Northwest, price is not as much as a consideration as availabliity and access. However, please try to stay within shouting distance of a reasonable price, around about $20 (I'll adjust for inflation, both economic and winemaker ego later). For more expensve selections, tasting get togethers are encouraged so the price could be split among participants. Anyone with suggestions or comments on the Way of the Wine please post back.

Rocky

#2 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:56 PM

Since I started the madness I'm going to go first and pick a wine for March. The March pick will be the 2003 Waterbrook Melange. Have fun everyone.

Rocky

#3 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 07:12 PM

Right on, Rocky. Great idea.

Since we're all in the same general area, I'd love it if people could post where they're finding the wines, and prices.

~A
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 07:20 PM

Since I started the madness I'm going to go first and pick a wine for March. The March pick will be the 2003 Waterbrook Melange. Have fun everyone.

Rocky

Do we want to post our thoughts as we sample the wine, or on a given report date? Having a specific date means that early reports won't influence people who haven't tasted yet.

Dee and I sampled the Waterman Melange last week.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#5 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 07:22 PM

Thanks Rocky for getting this started! I'm in.

I see online that Esquin has it for $10.99 at the moment, (reg. $12.99)

Esquin Wine Merchants
2700 4th Avenue South
Seattle, Washington 98134

#6 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 07:24 PM

Did you mean Waterbrook Melange?

#7 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 07:35 PM

Good idea, Rocky!!

I've had the Waterbrook Melange several times and really enjoyed it. I'll try it again and take notes and post back later.

I've bought it at both Whole Paycheck and QFC.

Jan

PS: I tend to think that we should just post as we taste the wines. I personally like to post soon after tasting when it's fresh in my mind, but others may feel differently. It's always possible to just not read the thread until after tasting the wine.
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#8 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:07 PM

oui

(Waterman makes fountain pen inks. No wonder why I get them confused...)
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#9 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:11 PM

oui

(Waterman makes fountain pen inks. No wonder why I get them confused...)

Let's just hope you haven't been putting the Waterbrook in your fountain pen and drinking the Waterman. :blush: :blush:
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#10 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 09:52 PM

So do we get to indulge in wine-geek-speak, or should we try to sound like normal human beings?.... :blush:
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#11 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2005 - 10:06 PM

So do we get to indulge in wine-geek-speak, or should we try to sound like normal human beings?.... :blush:

Geek away if you want, but that just might make you more vulnerable to being tagged. :blush: I don't think it's entirely possible to do notes without geeking a little though. As far when to post, I agree with Jan that it's easier to post when the wine is fresh in your mind.

Rocky

#12 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 10:14 PM

As far when to post, I agree with Jan that it's easier to post when the wine is fresh in your mind.

I think that really depends on how much of the wine is "fresh in your mind"....
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#13 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 01:40 AM

I picked up a bottle of Waterbrook Melange 2003 at Trader Joe's (Roosevelt Ave. /U district) for $10.99 today.

#14 TamIam

TamIam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 02:39 AM

I have to admit that until now, I'd been avoiding the wine section of eG fearing that I would get hooked. But, Rocky, because of you, I broke my promise, and peeked. Now I know how the WOW works, but dang it if I haven't also started a new bad habit as well.

I like the idea of making it by the month instead of by the week. It gives us time to shop, maybe split cases, deal with life, and even set up a tasting night. It feels way more relaxing.

Its been a while since I had Waterbrook Melange--will grab some when I get back in town, and remind myself.
Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented. -- J. Esther

#15 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2005 - 05:51 AM

For the future if someone would like to pick a wine that is not very easily obtainable I think we may soon have enough people that we could either have a wine store order us a case or we could all go in on a case and have it shipped and then make arrangements either for a group tasting or for distribution. Just some thoughts for the future.

Rocky