114 replies to this topic

#16 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 06:14 PM

We found the Melange at Whole Foods (ravenna) yesterday for $12.99, and at Safeway on 23rd and Madison for $12.49 (club card price, down from $13.99 regular). Sounds like TJ's is the place to save a couple bucks.

~A
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#17 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 06:57 PM

So do we get to indulge in wine-geek-speak, or should we try to sound like normal human beings?....  :blush:

Geek away if you want, but that just might make you more vulnerable to being tagged. :blush: I don't think it's entirely possible to do notes without geeking a little though. As far when to post, I agree with Jan that it's easier to post when the wine is fresh in your mind.

Rocky

It's always possible to either use a (Waterman) pen and paper and make notes in your own handwriting, or start an e-mail and save it as a draft, when it comes to making notes. You don't have to post them immediately, though.

I'm wondering if it's possible to find this wine in Santa Cruz county. Will look into it.

#18 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:07 AM

So, yesterday I bought a bottle of the Waterbrook Melange at Larry's for ~$13 and promptly consumed the entire thing, with a little help from my wife and the recipe for last night's dinner. [Side note: this recipe is really kick-ass. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes pork and braised meats.]

The wine went through an interesting progression over 3 or 4 hours after it was opened. Frankly, I didn't care for it at all when I first opened it. The nose was generic and there was a harsh, metallic aftertaste on the front of my tongue. Given how young the wine was and being just opened, I didn't give up on it. An hour or so later, it had opened nicely and developed some interesting nutty notes on the nose, along with mixed fruits. The taste had smoothed nicely too with the metallic edge almost completely gone. My last glass of the night though made it seem like it had been open too long, much of the forward nature of the nose and taste was gone and it seemed smooth almost to the point of boring.

Overall a nice wine for the price although these blends that combine so many different varietals never seem that distinctive and the characteristics of the different grapes compete or cancel each other out. I think this will be better in a couple years as well. The wine manager at Larry's said it's been selling like wildfire since a recent article about it in "the paper" and the Spectator.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#19 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:15 PM

I really think it's important to emphasize on this thread that taste is a very individual thing. What's good to me may be weird to you, and there's no real right or wrong when it comes to one's palate. I don't have enough evenings in my life to drink this stuff, since IMO there are so many better wines, and I can only drink so much wine in one lifetime. However, I'm not sticking to this price range either, and that does make a big difference.

Although tighe's approach was more scientific than mine, I can report that when I tried this wine, about a year ago, I drank half a glass and dumped the rest into my vinegar pot. Now, I don't feed my vinegar mother absolute swill, only the stuff that I really don't want to drink but still consider drinkable. I think "generic" is a perfect description for this stuff.

Everybody knows what "melange" means, right? It's "mixture", in French. And that's what it tastes like to me - no particular character, muddled, just something red to put in a glass and get a headache from. Would I ever buy it again? Uh, actually, no. For the same price, if I wanted something to cook with or serve at a barbecue, I'd get the Kiona Lemberger.

YMMV, as always. And that recipe looks wonderful, tighe!

#20 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:43 PM

I'm thinking I might bring a couple bottles of this wine to the apple tasting party on Sat. so we can all have a taste there if we want. A combo apple tasting, wine of the month tasting. How does this sound? I may only be to drop by the apple tasting party later on, in the afternoon or early evening, though.

edit to add: I've decided against bringing the Waterbrook Melange to the apple tasting party, so I'll be tasting it at home w/hubby.

tighe, thanks for the link on your recipe. I had not seen that site before... it's wonderful!

#21 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 06:05 AM

Although tighe's approach was more scientific than mine... And that recipe looks wonderful, tighe!

Actually more situational/accidental than scientific. I was just surprised how much it changed over a relatively short period of time.

I would also note that when I made the recipe before I used a sangiovese and I liked the results better.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#22 reese

reese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:04 PM

i tried the melange last night. $13.49 at metropolitan markup.

i am not a wine afficionado, and tend to prefer new world wines (maybe because of the price/quality ratio).

i agree with tighe that it changes a lot - and benefits from about 30 minutes in the glass. when we opened this - rob thought it was a little chocolatey. i thought it was tight. we consumed this without food (is this TMI? are you guys worried about me? :blush: ) which i think makes a huge difference in what flavors come out. i wouldn't buy this again...i found that by the time i got to the end of the bottle, i didn't like it at all - it lost it's body and seemed soft to me...kind of merlot-y. i'm not a fan of merlot i can afford. i love this process though - i'm very excited to try new wines, and think this way is low key and easy. wonderful idea.

#23 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 05:11 AM

[guest wine review by little MR foodie]

We picked up the Melange at Whole Foods ($12.99 IIRC) and opened it tonight to have with some parmesan chicken and noodles. I decanted it for ~30 minutes prior to drinking -- don't always do that with most wines, but based on prior experience felt that it could use the help.

The wine was pretty jammy and not particularly smooth. It's fine, and should definitely be enjoyed w/ food as opposed to on its own, but not fantastic. I got some cheese overtones, but may have been influenced by the chicken on the plate in front of me :rolleyes: I think overall the Melange was (as the name implies) a mis-mash of flavors; yes it's a blend, but rather than accentuating characteristics of the grapes, the result is more of a muddle.

"Foodie Family Spectator" would give this about a 72. As little ms foodie told me, it's probably a good $9 wine, but even at $12 might be overpriced.

[/end guest wine review]
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#24 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2005 - 10:46 AM

So I thought to myself, you know Rocky, you really need to get off your ass and taste the wine you picked out. Picked it up at QFC for $8, slightly messed up label discount. Had it without food first then had it with a prosciutto wrapped chicken breast. It definitely benefits from a little time but also has a limited window where I like it. I think that it stays good about an hour after the thirty minute breathe. I like this wine as an everyday wine, certainly not a special ocassion wine or even a I made a moderately brilliant dinner wine. I liked the fruit, what I think of as mildly jammy, not a whole lot of structure behind it, with I think a decent hit of acid to set off the sweetness of the wine. I think of this as a poultry red, just big enough to stand up to the proteins but light enough to not overpower it. I think that the biggest drawback is the short window to drink it in, but then I never really have a problem with drinking in the time allotted. :rolleyes:

Rocky

#25 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2005 - 05:57 PM

So, what'll be our next wine?

#26 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 05:40 AM

Abra, girl, you need to be patient. It's only the 21st, and this is wine of the month. :lol:

So, we tried the Melange a few days ago. I didn't think it was as bad as some earlier comments made it out to be... I guess you could say I was pleasantly surprised, but at this price I can think of a half-dozen wines I'd rather drink. It was a way too fruity and a bit on the sweet side for my taste; I felt this way about it both with and without food, and I didn't really like it enough to stick with it and see how it changed over time.
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#27 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2005 - 08:18 AM

Well, here we are, near the end of the month. Time to pick the next Wine Dudette. Tag Abra, you're it! I look forward to your choice.

Rocky

P.S. That'll teach you to get antsy. :lol: :lol:

#28 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2005 - 12:46 AM

Ok, here we go with a wine for April.

I went into my little wine shop and asked "what's the most interesting PNW wine on the shelf right now that retails for $20 or under and is generally available in Seattle?"

So, this month's wine is

Cuneo
Two Rivers
Bordeaux-Style

It's truly PNW, since it's a blend of Bordeaux varietals from both the Rogue and Columbia appellations. I haven't tasted it myself yet, so let's have at it. I got it for $18, by the way.

Enjoy and report!

#29 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2005 - 12:51 AM

Excellent, can't wait to try it!

Rocky

#30 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 03:24 AM

oh my gosh Abra, Cuneo rocks!! great pick, cant wait to try this.

Where ever people find this, please report in...stores and price!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag