PNW - Wine of the Month

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2005 - 10:58 PM

Just picked it up at Trader Joe's U-District for 13.99 plus tax.

Rocky

#32 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 11:17 PM

UVillage QFC didn't have this (I asked the wine person), so I made a stop at TJ's on Madison: $13.99, with a serious dent in the inventory --have you guys all gone there? :lol:

We've got beef stew on the menu for later in the week, so I suspect that this will get tasted much sooner in the month than last time.

~A
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#33 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:01 AM

Yeah, the QFC guy apparently has all of them but the blend, which he thought he had in the cellar room but it turned out was all gone.

Rocky

#34 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:46 AM

Has anybody tried this yet?

#35 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:32 PM

We haven't had a chance to yet but in my Esquin flyer last night I think I saw that they had it for $13.99???
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#36 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:53 PM

We haven't yet, but when we eat the stew that's waiting in the fridge (tonight or tomorrow) we'll break it out.

Out of curiosity, I looked for it yesterday at Larry's in Bellevue... no luck. Seems they're remodeling their wine department, as only about half the shelves were full and there was a TON of wine in carts in the back.
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#37 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2005 - 09:48 PM

Wow, I'm really (un)impressed by how much more expensive it is on Bainbridge than on the mainland!

#38 TamIam

TamIam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:15 PM

Hey Abra, don't feel too bad. You can pay $19 for it at Whole Paychex too.

TJ's in Totem Lake had none, and the wine guy was unfamiliar with it.
Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented. -- J. Esther

#39 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:55 PM

FYI..it is an Esquin special of the month...

<<2001 - CUNEO CELLARS TWO RIVERS BLEND
$13.99
$13.99 bottle / $159.49 case - Composed of 55% Rogue River, Oregon and 45% Columbia Valley, Washington wine, this blend offers rich, smoky berry aromas, rich, chewy flavors on the palate, with layered raspberry and blackberry fruit that show licorice and mocha notes. Regular: $14.99 >>
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#40 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:05 AM

Sorry! I didn't know I was making a trendy pick.

#41 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 04:33 AM

Another write up, this one from avalon.com selling it for $21.

Cuneo Cellars Two Rivers Bordeaux Blend 01
Wine Spectator recommends this wine as one of seven Cabs for $25 or less, 5-26-04.

Wine Spectator rating 88 points. "Firm and focused, but nicely balanced to prevent weightiness, weaving a lot of toasty oak through the dark berry and dried cherry flavors. Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Malbec and Petit Verdot. Best from 2006 through 2010. H.S."

I asked about it today at Metropolitan Market in W. Seattle. The wine manager said they carried it a year ago, but she stopped buying it in part due to some price fluctuations that she didn't understand. hm.

#42 reese

reese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 05:38 PM

thanks for asking there, leslie. i looked for it last night, but was in a rush and so didn't ask anyone for help.

interesting comment by the wine manager...more than once she's made cryptic price-related excuses/comments to me about why a wine isn't stocked.

#43 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 10:24 PM

Asked at Pete's and they didn't have it, although I'm sure I could've ordered it there. Instead, stopped by TJ's (U-Dist) and they still have it at 13.99 a bottle.
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#44 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:09 AM

I picked up a couple bottles at the Capital Hill TJ's tonight and promptly drank one with a little help from my mother-in-law.

So here's the the thing, in general, young Bordeaux style wines don't do anything for me, particularly inexpensive young Bordeaux style wines and this one, while inoffensive, was ultimately no different. What is maddening to me about the style is that the nose is often great, but none of that get delivered on the palate. This wine for example started with a rich nose of canned plums and at different points during the evening I picked up quetch (plum eau de vie), pencil shavings and chocolate but for me at least, the taste changed very little. I will say that the tanins were very mellow which made it smooth, but also means that it probably won't be able to age long enough to develop the kinds of flavors that are currently only displayed on the nose.

For me the value in the under $20 segment of the market is in syrah based wines which is where I find myself repeatedly going back to.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#45 sparrowsfall

sparrowsfall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 12:52 AM

So here's the the thing, in general, young Bordeaux style wines don't do anything for me, particularly inexpensive young Bordeaux style wines and this one, while inoffensive, was ultimately no different. What is maddening to me about the style is that the nose is often great, but none of that get delivered on the palate. This wine for example started with a rich nose of canned plums and at different points during the evening I picked up quetch (plum eau de vie), pencil shavings and chocolate but for me at least, the taste changed very little. I will say that the tanins were very mellow which made it smooth, but also means that it probably won't be able to age long enough to develop the kinds of flavors that are currently only displayed on the nose.

For me the value in the under $20 segment of the market is in syrah based wines which is where I find myself repeatedly going back to.

Vince, will you be my best friend? Or at least my spokesperson? I think you're so right about inexpensive young Bordeaux. (Especially faux Bordeaux...) The problem with Bordeaux is the same as my friend Kathleen's compaint about white wine: problem is you have to buy such *old* stuff. <g> And yes, the Rhone and other southern (i.e. Spanish, Italian) wines...Oh! I mean varietals...are where the bargains are, IMHO.
"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon." —Dalai Lama