70 replies to this topic

#1 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,662 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:58 PM

Or, rather, it doesn't. No suction. I am tired of spending several hundred dollars on appliances that only last a couple of years and am seriously considering buying one of the Dyson vacs, which go for $500 and up. I need something that will suck up serious amounts of cat hair without beginning to wheeze after a few months. Anyone have experience with a Dyson or have another rec?
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#2 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 07:07 PM

A reconditioned Electrosux?

#3 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,331 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 07:08 PM

A reconditioned Electrosux?

this is the sex-toys thread?

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#4 winesonoma

winesonoma

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 09:06 PM

Buy the Dyson. Great Vac. :blush:
Bruce
Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"
Moscow is building a monument to processed cheese.

#5 TheMatt

TheMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 10:01 PM

If you buy a Dyson, you should get the new one that orders its own replacement parts. The gadgeteer in me wants a Dyson, but the grad student part says "$500 for a vacuum?!"
Dr TheMatt
Certified Nerd and Oh So Boring...

#6 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 10:13 PM

Daisy, our kitty breeder has a Dyson and swears by it. I'd get one, but our 15 yr. old Miele is still going strong and does an okay job on cat hair.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#7 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 11:08 PM

I have a 14 year old Miele, which does a great job all all things, including cat hair.

#8 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 12:59 AM

I have no cat. But I do love my Miele.
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#9 whippedkeptboy

whippedkeptboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 01:48 AM

If I spend $500 on a vacuum cleaner, does it come with an embedded 20-gigabyte MP3 player? Are there alternatives to the ubiquitous DyPod? Thanks.

#10 awbrig

awbrig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 03:17 AM

I boughtmy wife an upright Miele and have been really disappointed. It gets clogged very quickly, sucks just like every other vacuum we've had. I dont think it was worth the money I paid for it.
  • Once, during prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
  • I went to a restaurant that serves 'breakfast at any time'. So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.
  • I'm not saying my wife's a bad cook, but she uses a smoke alarm as a timer.

#11 Guest_Suzanne F_*

Guest_Suzanne F_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2005 - 03:26 AM

I'm following this thread with interest, because my practically-brand-new (maybe 5 years old?) Eureka decided to have a fit today and left one of its plug prongs in the outlet. Yes, I know I can just replace the plug, but I'd rather replace the whole machine. Even when it is "working" it sounds worse than the Pope, :blush: AND a whole lot louder.

So please, keep discussing your own dirt suckers. Thank you very much.

#12 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 01:44 PM

Bill, maybe the Miele canisters are better than the uprights. Mine is a workhorse - it's never flagged, through one dog, two cats, and a messy husband.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#13 rlm

rlm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 04:01 PM

We bought a bright yellow Dyson at the Great Indoors and love it! We waited until we received some store coupons in the mail and saved 10%. It seemed like we went through the cheaper vacs (Hoover, Eureka, whatever was on sale at Target) too frequently and the belts were always slipping, carpet never seemed to get that clean, we were always having to buy more bags, etc. I never thought I'd spend more money on one vacuum cleaner than I received as trade-in value on my first car, but a Dyson is well worth the money.
“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

“When someone drives up to the farm in a BMW and asks me why our eggs cost more…well, first I try not to get mad…I take him outside and point at his car. ‘Sir, you clearly understand quality and are willing to pay for it. Well, food is no different: You get what you pay for.’”—Farmer Joel Salatin quoted in Michael Pollan’s “The Omnivore’s Dilemma”

"It's so sensual, isn't it? And you don't need any nerdy stuff to really appreciate great Burgundy. It just washes over you."--Jancis Robinson on Grape Radio, 11/07

#14 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 04:26 PM

I'm still happy with my Hoover Wind Tunnel vacuum, which received the highest rating in consumer reports the year I bought it. Once when we thought it needed replacing, the salesman talked us into buying a new belt (between $5-$10) instead of a new vacuum, and voila, it was like having a brand new vacuum again. I think it's about a $280 vacuum. I also like the self propelled feature as it saves wear and tear on my back.

#15 whippedkeptboy

whippedkeptboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 04:35 PM

Yes, Consumer Reports doesn't like the Dyson much. Their two top picks in their latest report were the Hoover Wind Tunnel Self Propelled Ultra at about $300 and the Eureka Boss Smartvac Ultra at a piddling (well, compared to the $1400 :blush: Kirby Diamond) $140. Of course, some people don't like CR's rating systems much either.

Edited to add: That's for uprights. For canisters they did like the Dyson 11, which essentially tied with two Kenmores (Progressive 24614, Whispertone 23513) for best choice. It is $200+ more expensive, though.)