95 replies to this topic

#1 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 04:49 PM

A delicious late dinner last night. Shrimp cocktail: six lovely large shrimp with a decently spicy tomato sauce deeper down the glass for dipping in. Fantastic clam chowder--neither too thin nor too thick with a very clean, bright flavor. Lobster roll with the showstring fries: good chunks of meat in a mayo that wasn't cloying. I went for the grilled fish of the day which was pompano. This was a whole fish, on a bed of roasted vegetables (zucchini, asparagus, tomato (the most successful)). The fish was top-notch. A not very distinctive Gruner Veltliner (around $30). Total before tip was $109. Two beers that we had as we waited for a table were on the house.

The fish and the cooking here are superior to those at BLT Fish, I think. Must now try Mary's Fish Camp to compare.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#2 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 05:19 PM

MMMMn. One of my favorite places to eat. How I wsh they were in my neighborhood!!
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#3 marcus

marcus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 06:04 PM

I've been to both a number of times, but only for lunch, and this may make a difference. My objective opinion is that Mary's is a step better, even including the lobster roll, which is Pearl's claim to fame. With Pearl's lobster roll, the overall impression was very good, and the interplay of the mayonnaise and the roll was just right, but the lobster didn't pull its own weight and was a little bland. The fried oysters were also lacking in flavor. Mary's just had more oomph across the board. I've never had Pearl's famous blueberry pie which is available only in the evening. I believe that Pearl herself is only there in the evening.

#4 Penguin

Penguin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 06:36 AM

Pearl Oyster Bar is one of my favorite restaurants in New York city. Up until recently, I thought that the clam chowder was the weak link in its fare, but the last few times I've stolen a spoonsful from friends, I see it has improved.

All of my other favorites remain remarkably consistent. The pan-fried grouper sandwich at lunch is just spectacular. The vegetables (including the salads) are wonderful, very reminiscent of Craft's in style and quality.

The blueberry pie is fantastic, but it's only available during warm weather months. The owner is Rebecca Charles -- the restaurant is named after Rebecca's grandmother Pearle. I actually see Rebecca at the restaurant more often at lunch than dinner (that's her rolling out the pie crust).

#5 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 01:58 PM

I've eaten there twice in the last year. Both times it was delicious. The space can be a little cramped though. I am definitely going for lunch on my next trip to the city.

#6 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 07:00 PM

I'll tag this on here.

Went to Mary's Fish Camp for lunch mainly to compare and contrast the lobster rolls at Pearl and Mary's. We felt that both were good, but Pearl's wins. Pearl's had a cleaner taste. Mary's mayo had, G. thought, a little tomtato added which was fine but made it sweeter than Pearl's. The fries at Pearl were superior, many of the fries at Mary's were glued together.

Also sampled at Mary's was the cod sandwich. Great fish, nicely sauteed, good baguette, tasty mayo with capers, but the addition of greens in the sandwich was a mistake, I thought, as in no time they wilted from the heat of the fish and turned slimey.

Bottle of Pol Roget ($60--the only champagne they had) pushed up the price (sandwiches around $11).

I think the physical space at Pearl is nicer--bigger, and better feel. That said, both places have their own charms.

#7 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 07:08 PM

Not just tomato but tomato ketchup. Reminiscent of the "Rose Marie" sauce that graces a Berni Inn prawn cocktail. (Though it wasn't that bad.)
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#8 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 07:08 PM

to compare and contrast

:rolleyes: takes me back, takes me back
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#9 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 07:11 PM

Neither take reservations, right?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#10 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 07:31 PM

No, I don't think so--at least not for small parties. Maybe not at all.

Rose, I'm creating mid-term exam questions right now. Might explain it even though I don't have one of those compare and contrast things.

#11 Guest_=Mark_*

Guest_=Mark_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:25 PM

The lobster rolls are sublime! I think a lot of it is actually in the roll. I believe the rolls are lightly pan fried in butter until crispy. This prevents the lobster/mayo from making the standard roll soggy/pasty.

#12 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 04:55 PM

Won't write up every bite that we have at Pearl, but just want to say again how wonderful the food is here.

Last night I started with the large fried oysters, the best I've ever had. Crunchy on the outside and no uneven cooking found inside (I've had smaller fried oysters than these, those at Craftbar and Annisa come to mind, and bits have been undercooked). They sat on shells on a bed of chuncky, tartare-type (with diced pickled cucumber) mayo. G had the crab cake--I liked this too, but the breading didn't bowl me over. The jicama (I'm pretty sure it was) salad was a very good accompaniment.

Next I had pan seared cod that came with buttery Brussel's sprouts (hurrah). If I'd not gobbled down all those oysters I could've done this dish justice. Superb fish. G's Bouillabaisse very good, but not what we expected. It didn't appear as a soup, more a large amount of fish and shellfish with a little liquid at the bottom of the bowl. The scallop I tried was nice, though I thought the mussel I had tasted a little strong. The soup, what there was of it, was delicious.

Shared a chocolate ice cream sundae. I'm not into chocolate desserts, but this was to my liking.

#13 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 04:57 PM

How long did you wait to be seated?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#14 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 05:01 PM

Seated right away at 6.30. We got the last table, but there was plenty of space still at the bar.

#15 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 05:05 PM

The muscles and clams in the soup were not the best I've had but the rest of the fish (a bit of cod, a scallop and a lobster claw) and the broth were very good.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson