95 replies to this topic

#31 marcus

marcus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 12:01 AM

I may be wrong, but I doubt that either place is using Maine lobsters, so these lobsters could be potentially coming frozen from South Africa or Australia.  Something to ask next time I visit.

I cannot imagine that they are using frozen lobster. You can get live lobsters all over this city every day of the year.

And on their menu on their website, the lobsters that are served boiled, grilled, or chilled are actually called "Maine Lobsters" - I can't imagine they are using other lobsters for the lobster roll.

They may be using high quality lobsters, I really don't know. I was only searching for an explanation as to why the lobster lacked the fine flavor that I associate with the best Maine lobsters.

#32 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:39 PM

The East Village is about to get an informal lobster roll/clam shack in the shape of Black Pearl, located in the space formerly occupied by Julep, on Avenue A between Houston and 1st. Not quite open at the end of last week, but looked like any moment.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#33 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:47 PM

We were at Pearl on Saturday, and, in answer to marcus's question, they use fresh, that is, unfrozen and live, Maine lobsters. The waitress gave the impression they are used for all lobster dishes. Anyway, I had a whole (small) one and it was fantastic.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#34 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:00 PM

I had lunch at Pearl today, my first time there. Started with half a dozen Malpec oysters (the only kind available), and a bowl of clam chowder to share with the two other Mouths at the table. I really liked the chowder, perhaps because it tasted more of smoky bacon than clam. It was laced with fresh chives, and its consistency, as others have noted, was just right.

The lobster roll was also delicious, even though (as I've recently learned) I prefer lobster rolls dressed with butter rather than mayonaise. For a mayo-dressed roll, however, this one's a winner.

Along with a bottle of Sancerre and great company, this was an excellent introduction to the joys of Pearl. ;)
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#35 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:39 PM

The East Village is about to get an informal lobster roll/clam shack in the shape of Black Pearl, located in the space formerly occupied by Julep, on Avenue A between Houston and 1st. Not quite open at the end of last week, but looked like any moment.

It's open and the menu is definitely interesting. Whether it's good remains to be seen. Twenty buck lobster rolls, fried oyster and clam rolls, whole fried clam bellies, various fish 'n' chips options, oysters and clams on half shell, lobster salad - and the menu speaks much of the provenance and freshness of the seafood.

We shall see. Definite gap in the East Village market.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#36 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:44 PM

whole fried clam bellies

Say no more. Where is this place? Lunch also?

edit: duh. I was too excited.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#37 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:46 PM

Looks like an all-day place. In fact, looks like a dive bar.
Elect-a-lujah

#38 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:46 PM

I'm having palpitations.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#39 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:51 PM

Me too. Oh boy oh boy oh boy....I hope it is better than BLT Fish downstairs.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#40 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:52 PM

I can't add much to Fantasty's review as I had the exact same dishes and was equally impressed. This is my third or fourth trip for lunch, and I have enjoyed every time. I do think the service could use some help, it tends to be snippy and a bit dismissive. When offered desserts, I asked what were the choices. I was told to read them off a board which could not be seen from my seat. Oh well, I am not much of a dessert person anyway.

I think this is an ideal lunch spot.

#41 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 06:10 PM

I can't add much to Fantasty's review as I had the exact same dishes and was equally impressed. This is my third or fourth trip for lunch, and I have enjoyed every time. I do think the service could use some help, it tends to be snippy and a bit dismissive. When offered desserts, I asked what were the choices. I was told to read them off a board which could not be seen from my seat. Oh well, I am not much of a dessert person anyway.

I think this is an ideal lunch spot.

Can one eat there without the special tee-shirt? ;) :D
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#42 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 06:11 PM

Can one eat there without the special tee-shirt? :D ;)

:D :D Lunch there does not last as long as 'inoteca. :D

#43 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,670 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 06:27 PM

I had lunch at Pearl today, my first time there. Started with half a dozen Malpec oysters (the only kind available), and a bowl of clam chowder to share with the two other Mouths at the table. I really liked the chowder, perhaps because it tasted more of smoky bacon than clam. It was laced with fresh chives, and its consistency, as others have noted, was just right.

The lobster roll was also delicious, even though (as I've recently learned) I prefer lobster rolls dressed with butter rather than mayonaise. For a mayo-dressed roll, however, this one's a winner.

Along with a bottle of Sancerre and great company, this was an excellent introduction to the joys of Pearl. ;)

I had never had the chowder before and thought it very nice. I am a mayonnaise-phobe and Pearl's lobster roll has just the right amount of the right sort (i.e. not gummy) of mayonnaise.

And Ron's right, the waiter was snippy.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#44 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 06:29 PM

I am a mayonnaise-phobe

Have you tried any kind of self-medication for that? ;)

#45 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 06:29 PM

Definite gap in the East Village market.

Mermaid Inn?
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.