96 replies to this topic

#1 StephY

StephY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:14 PM

I'm thinking there's no way poutine can be bad --- french fries, cheddar cheese curds, and thick brown gravy. Sounds like one of my favorite college snacks, in fact.

So where's the best place to get a bowl & is this truly something worth eating, or am I being une touriste typique?
Food, glorious food!

#2 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:26 PM

At Au Pied du Cochon, you can opt to have poutine served with seared foie gras. Gilding the lily? Perhaps, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Otherwise, I've only had it in ski lodges. It's perfect après-ski fare.
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#3 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:36 PM

Theoretically, it could suck. If, say, the fries were undercooked and cold and the gravy some chemical industrial slop from a can, unheated, and the cheese approaching a petroleum by-product...

But, really. Hot salty fries with gravy and cheese? What's not to like?

#4 StephY

StephY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:41 PM

OK, so where do I go for some good stuff? I'll be in Montreal proper (Vieux-Port). I've read some city guides that recommend La Fleur (the chain).

Opinions?
Food, glorious food!

#5 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,874 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:46 PM

Theoretically, it could suck. If, say, the fries were undercooked and cold and the gravy some chemical industrial slop from a can, unheated, and the cheese approaching a petroleum by-product...

which matters less if it is 4am and you are sloshed and stoned, hypothetically.

I don't really know where to get good poutine. Except for the haute version at APDC (which isn't exactly my favorite dish there), my experience is limited to the hypothetical conditions above.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#6 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:53 PM

which matters less if it is 4am and you are sloshed and stoned, hypothetically.

Exactly. That's just about the way that I *hypothetically* had it but really... fries, cheese curds, gravy. What could be bad. The place I went had many different versions, one with cole slaw. Now *that* sounds nasty but trust me it was goooood.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#7 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 11:32 PM

I've had poutine at Shopsin's on Carmine street. That's the only place I ever had it so I cannot make any comparison to what the best example might be but it is on their million item menu. I didn't love it.
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#8 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:18 AM

Don't bother with chains or fancy variations; go to the streets.

You need to get it from a street vendor with an oddly painted truck. There should be a few peas floating in the gravy vat. The cheese curds should never have been near a fridge so they are nice and squeaky.

Eat, enjoy, then call the paramedics :blush:

Flyfish
“I used to be eye candy but now I’m more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

“Your father is going deaf. I can’t hear a word he says!”
My mom

“I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#9 Gary Soup

Gary Soup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 06:21 AM

The cheese curds should never have been near a fridge so they are nice and squeaky.

They don't squeak when they've been half-melted by gravy out of a can.

I think poutine is an embarrassment to la Belle Province. It belongs in Newfoundland, as a side to be served with a fried bologna sandwich.

#10 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 06:54 AM

OK, so where do I go for some good stuff? I'll be in Montreal proper (Vieux-Port). I've read some city guides that recommend La Fleur (the chain).

Opinions?

You're talking about Lafleurs. Their poutine is pretty good. I don't know where's the best poutine in Montreal. The best poutine in Quebec, is probably outside the Montreal-area.

Steve

#11 Ms J

Ms J

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 11:17 AM

The cheese curds should never have been near a fridge so they are nice and squeaky.

Squeaky cheese - sigh. You're making me come over all nostalgic. :blush:
Thieves, arsonists and deserters.

#12 Wyldeoregano

Wyldeoregano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 03:28 PM

Ahhh, squeaky cheese curds. The joy of my youth. When we were small we used to go to my grandfather's trailer on Rice Lake (Ontario). In the nearby small town of Warkworth there was a cheese factory. There is nothing like freshly made cheese curds. :rolleyes: The only other time I've had them that good was on a trip home from Collingwood. We traveled along Lake Huron from Owen Sound and stopped in Pine River at their cheese factory. Squeaky curds are a treat indeed.

As for Poutine, I second the chip trucks. Never had them in Quebec, but the best I've had in Ontario came from a chip truck in Niagara Falls. The strangest (and I'll admit I didn't try them)? "Newfoundland Fries" in several chip trucks in Kitchener. If I remember correctly, they were Poutine with peas, and stuffing and maybe something else? I forget what, though. Maybe meat?
*Food, an important part of a balanced diet.*

#13 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 05:29 PM

I don't think there're any chip trucks in Montreal anymore.

Steve

#14 Guest_Chef_*

Guest_Chef_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2005 - 01:05 AM

http://www.dunnsfamous.com/

I LOVE the poutine at Dunn's,,,I think it's the hands down winner in Montreal. Speaking of 'guilding the lily',,,if I were you, I'd splash out the $7.45 CDN for "Poutine Dunn's (Topped with our famous Smoked Meat)". It's a frigging heart attack on a plate, but it is a thing of beauty.

Incidentally,,,while we're on the topic of putting things on fries, allow me to describe what could possibly be one of the best French fry topped hangover lunch items ever. We named it "a Rouncey", after my ex-boss Steve Rounce,,,the creator of the beast. He is an Essex boy born and bred, and with what I would consider an almost inbred British affinity for a late night "Ruby" (translation - Indian food,,,hotter the better). He comes into work one morning and tells us about this dish he slapped together when he walked into his house hammered at 2am the night before. An extra large conatiner of fries from a chip truck (purchased before the long cab ride home),,,topped with a very spicy leftover Chicken Tikka-Masala,,,,,,,,,,,,heavenly he said. So that very day, in a 85 Martini hangove haze, a bunch of us decided to give it a go. Extra large order of fries from Swiss Chalet, and a nice piping hot C.T.M.,,,and because we were feeling daring, an order of Lamb Vindaloo. He was right,,,heavenly.

Chef.

#15 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 03:32 PM

I don't think there're any chip trucks in Montreal anymore.

Well, if that's the case, you simply have to drive two hours west here to Ottawa, eat poutine here, and then drive two hours back. :rolleyes:

Incidentally,,,while we're on the topic of putting things on fries, allow me to describe what could possibly be one of the best French fry topped hangover lunch items ever.

Maybe it's my hangover talking, but this sounded ridiculously good...

Flyfish
“I used to be eye candy but now I’m more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

“Your father is going deaf. I can’t hear a word he says!”
My mom

“I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer