78 replies to this topic

#61 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 03:44 PM

Would it be worth moving to a suitably titled thread, only because some members who would love to see the pics might not be reading about the Whitechapel dining scene?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#62 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,751 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:24 PM

Would it be worth moving to a suitably titled thread, only because some members who would love to see the pics might not be reading about the Whitechapel dining scene?

in the meantime perhaps we can discuss baby goat or lamb dishes that may be served at tayyabs?

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#63 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:51 PM

"UK Children" is now a separate thread within the UK Restaurants, easily found but not so easily explained. Unfortunately, there is no way to just create a 2nd section within UK that is non-restaurantish & we didnt want to move this away from the UK section to "General" or merge it with other kids so that you English folk would never find it. :P

Congratulations everyone. Back to Tayyab's (which we loved last year)....

This space available… contact owner.

#64 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,218 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:47 PM

Do you generally need to reserve for Tayyabs?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#65 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,605 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:07 PM

Not at the moment.

#66 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:25 PM

There's a dress code though.

Posted Image
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#67 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,218 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:00 AM

Thank you.

ASSUMING NO RIOTING, does one have to reserve for Tayyabs?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#68 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:50 AM

can one reserve at tayyabs?

man, i need a headache

#69 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,218 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:44 AM

Yes. You can even do it through their website (which probably leads you to the now-ubiquitous Open Table).
Bar Loser

MF Old

#70 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:08 AM

It's many years since we ate there with Gavin and Anny (back in the polonium-on-British-Airways days). They booked a table for us all, which was great since we bypassed the line that way. So while you don't absolutely have to, it's nice to be able to. (That was one of the best -- and least expensive, esp. for London! -- meals I've ever had.)

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#71 VMTG

VMTG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:33 PM

It's many years since we ate there with Gavin and Anny (back in the polonium-on-British-Airways days). They booked a table for us all, which was great since we bypassed the line that way. So while you don't absolutely have to, it's nice to be able to. (That was one of the best -- and least expensive, esp. for London! -- meals I've ever had.)

However on two (?) occasions I have booked. In one instance there was hardly a queue and we walked right in. On another occasion, if I am not mistaken, we had a booking, and the queue was extremely long, but we still had quite a wait. Both instances were at least two to three years ago so matters may have improved.

#72 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,218 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:07 PM

I understand the line moves much faster now that you can walk through where the windows used to be.

(Kidding)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#73 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,230 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:12 PM

I booked and skipped the line. The funny thing was, they couldn't find my reservation in the book and just took my word for it.

So don't book, just show up and tell them you did. :ph43r:

#74 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,218 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:49 PM

Yes, the reservations work!

There was a long line, but I just walked past it and told some guy I had a reservation. He found me in the book (unlike Wilfrid) and seated me right away.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#75 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,218 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:57 PM

I have to say I found Tayyabs somewhat disappointing. I was expecting Indian (OK, Pakistani) cuisine beyond what I'm used to in New York. But that's not what it is. What it is, is a very good cheap place. An astonishing value (although not for a solo diner). But not great food. Just really good cheap food.

(Note, the following are NYC comparisons, cuz that's where I'm from.) Sure, if Tayyabs were in Curry Hill it would blast away the competition. But it's not nearly as good as Tulsi, much less being something way beyond it, as I'd misguidedly hoped.
Bar Loser

MF Old