#1 Really Nice!

Really Nice!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 02:20 AM

Just to continue the thread... Sorry Tsquare I beat you to it. :rolleyes:

The Seattle Gourmet Foods at the market (1530 Pike Place; a few shops up from Frank's Produce) went under this week. This is the place that had jelly's and jam's. I liked this place. Too bad it couldn't continue.

For a replacement the market is looking for something food related (not fast food). 490 square feet at $1,860 a month. Ouch.

What does this smilie mean? :(

Nice to see y'all... :(

#2 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2005 - 02:44 AM

It's just cool, you know, fear me I am Ninja! :rolleyes:

Rocky

#3 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 05:02 AM

Or else it means: I am a middle-eastern cooking expert from a very devout family. :rolleyes:
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#4 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 01:47 AM

Or, "is it safe?"
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#5 Ye-Ye Girl

Ye-Ye Girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 05:49 PM

Sweet and Savory Pantry - an extension of Herban Feast catering - has opened in the storefront of Herban Feast's catering kitchen. It's located at 2332 California Ave SW in West Seattle, across the street from Cafe Zaffarano and the Admiral Theater.

The storefront has been a couple of different bakeries over the last few years, and Herban Feast has used the back kitchen portion for its catering operations for a while. When the last bakery didn't make it, the owner of Herban Feast (BJ Duft, who's done some time at The Herbfarm) was able to use the space for retail.

I happed to walk by yesterday around lunchtime, so that was that. They have a couple of tables, but the primary purpose is for take out at lunch and on the way home. The menu is here: Sweet and Savory Pantry.

I took home a tarragon egg salad pita sandwich, a couple of sweet potato & Dungeness crabcakes, a butterscotch rice krispie treat, and a strawberry lavender lemonade. It was a tasty and filling lunch (the egg salad pita alone was plenty). I also took home a 1/2 lb. of chipotle and ham pasta salad, which both The Dude and I agree was Very Yummy. Sweet and Savory is a nice lunchtime and after-work option for West Seattle-ites.

#6 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 07:27 PM

The most common usage I've seen is following some kind of smart-ass comment, as in, 'duck-and-cover' because of the response the comment is likely to elicit. You'd think I'd use it a lot. :rolleyes:
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#7 reese

reese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 05:38 PM

Sweet and Savory Pantry - an extension of Herban Feast catering - has opened in the storefront of Herban Feast's catering kitchen. It's located at 2332 California Ave SW in West Seattle, across the street from Cafe Zaffarano and the Admiral Theater.

The storefront has been a couple of different bakeries over the last few years, and Herban Feast has used the back kitchen portion for its catering operations for a while. When the last bakery didn't make it, the owner of Herban Feast (BJ Duft, who's done some time at The Herbfarm) was able to use the space for retail.

I happed to walk by yesterday around lunchtime, so that was that. They have a couple of tables, but the primary purpose is for take out at lunch and on the way home.  The menu is here: Sweet and Savory Pantry.

I took home a tarragon egg salad pita sandwich, a couple of sweet potato & Dungeness crabcakes, a butterscotch rice krispie treat, and a strawberry lavender lemonade. It was a tasty and filling lunch (the egg salad pita alone was plenty). I also took home a 1/2 lb. of chipotle and ham pasta salad, which both The Dude and I agree was Very Yummy. Sweet and Savory is a nice lunchtime and after-work option for West Seattle-ites.

this is very good news. ye-ye girl - any idea what time they close?

also they mention that some of their sweets are made by sugar - i've looked for them, but aside from booths at the farmers markets - i haven't seen anything about them. does anyone else have scoop on sugar?

#8 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 08:40 PM

also they mention that some of their sweets are made by sugar - i've looked for them, but aside from booths at the farmers markets - i haven't seen anything about them. does anyone else have scoop on sugar?

When I asked one of the woman at Sugar last fall she said they were only doing markets at that time and some word of mouth things.
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#9 Ye-Ye Girl

Ye-Ye Girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 04:16 AM

this is very good news. ye-ye girl - any idea what time they close?

I think I remember they're open Tuesday through Saturday, 10 am to 7 pm.

They had lots of nice looking sweets, which I'm sure I'll be back to try. For more info on Sugar, including an online catalog, try here: Sugar.

#10 Abra

Abra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 04:44 PM

I've never heard of Sugar before, but their prices are sure low. I can see it for wholesale, but I don't see how they could stay at that price point for retail.
Abra

Blogging our French adventures at French Letters

#11 reese

reese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 05:49 PM

i think at the farmers market (as retail as they get, apparently) the baby tarts were $3 or so...and were truly divine.

#12 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:33 PM

It's rare when I read something in the paper that I haven't seen here (or on that other site): "Sapphire Kitchen & Bar will open in Madrona where Supreme was located. Owner Andre Gipson closed a deal last week, taking over at the former bistro." -- from Nancy Leson's column. Sounds like the Supreme chef will be continuing on, with a menu similar to the Sapphire in QA.

#13 reese

reese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:58 PM

vegete on 15th seems to have closed. i drove by last night and i think it's a clothing store now - looked like kids clothes and a sign in the window that said "parade" the vegete awning is still there though.

RIP. they made a mean vegan BLT and a tasty veetball sub (my words - not theirs). i'm sorry they failed.

#14 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 11:59 PM

I happed to walk by yesterday around lunchtime, so that was that. They have a couple of tables, but the primary purpose is for take out at lunch and on the way home.  The menu is here: Sweet and Savory Pantry.

Thanks for the scoop. I stopped by today for a snack. I got a couple small Sweet Potato & Dungeness Crabcakes with Chipotle Remoulade, a Dalis' Asian Fresh Roll (Vegetarian), and one of Sugar's lemon ginger shortbread.

I ate 1 of the crab cake at room temp and it was ok, but I warmed the other one up in the toaster oven and it was delicious. It is more sweet potato than crab, but the flavor of crab did peek through that great sweet potato flavor.

Unfortunately I hated the summer roll. It was about the worst tasting one I have ever had. A thick fresh wrapper that was gooey, the noodles inside were awful, the whole thing tasted gritty, I didn't finish it.

Finally, I loved the lemon ginger shortbread. Dense, slightly sweet, complex exotic flavor.

The salads did not look sparkling fresh in the window case (the way I like to see them ie. Metropolitan Market which gets a high turnover on their salads I think), although I'm sure they are fine, just needed a good stirring. But they did look as if they had been sitting awhile.

All the desserts looked fabulous.

I'm rooting for this place to succeed. I will try a sandwich and another cookie next time I stop by.

edit to add: I made a correction... I had lemon ginger shortbread (which was misidentified in the window case as cranberry something).

#15 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:29 PM

Drove by the corner of 21st and Union the other morning and saw a sign on a small marquee saying "coming soon! central cinema -- movies & dinner"

Google is my friend: Central Cinema