Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,544 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE(cristina @ Sep 30 2007, 05:33 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Jaymes @ Sep 29 2007, 10:29 PM) View Post
QUOTE(joiei @ Sep 29 2007, 07:03 PM) View Post
Now I have to make Cocktail de Camarones. Which of the two recipes is the best?

You kidding? Mine, of course.

Actually, I don't know. Why don't you try several and let us know. (Then I'll claim whichever is best as mine. wink.gif )

You're kidding? MINE, of course!

laugh.gif

unfortunately, the picture of my fish a la cristina has disappeared (for some reason i had it on my old comcast account) and so compelling visual evidence in her favour is no longer available.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#62 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE(joiei @ Sep 30 2007, 12:03 AM) View Post
While eating breakfast today with Jaymes at Rio Verde, before going to look at the wedding cakes, I was instructed that this existed. Now I have to make Cocktail de Camarones. Which of the two recipes is the best? Ouch, Jaymes just threw a book at me.

Well hey! You two are finally getting married, huh? Congratulations, both of you!!!!
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#63 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:00 AM

How about a version inspired by both of theirs? SeaGal made a quite tasty version for Scorched Palate's going away party a couple of years ago. The recipe is here.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#64 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:00 AM

How about a version inspired by both of theirs? SeaGal made a quite tasty version for Scorched Palate's going away party a couple of years ago. The recipe is here.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#65 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:06 AM

QUOTE(foodie52 @ Sep 30 2007, 06:44 PM) View Post
While eating breakfast today with Jaymes at Rio Verde, before going to look at the wedding cakes, I was instructed that this existed. Now I have to make Cocktail de Camarones. Which of the two recipes is the best? Ouch, Jaymes just threw a book at me.

Well hey! You two are finally getting married, huh? Congratulations, both of you!!!!

You have to ask Jaymes about the wedding cakes. My overall favorites were the first My Fair Lady cake, the Pennys from Heaven cake and the Sunset Boulevard cake. THe Kitchenaid mixer cake was a great idea that needed some refinement. The cakes from the 7 to 12 year old catagory were amazing.
"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#66 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:02 AM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Sep 30 2007, 06:38 PM) View Post
QUOTE(cristina @ Sep 30 2007, 05:33 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Jaymes @ Sep 29 2007, 10:29 PM) View Post
QUOTE(joiei @ Sep 29 2007, 07:03 PM) View Post
Now I have to make Cocktail de Camarones. Which of the two recipes is the best?

You kidding? Mine, of course.

Actually, I don't know. Why don't you try several and let us know. (Then I'll claim whichever is best as mine. wink.gif )
You're kidding? MINE, of course!

laugh.gif

unfortunately, the picture of my fish a la cristina has disappeared (for some reason i had it on my old comcast account) and so compelling visual evidence in her favour is no longer available.

Ah, but now we're talking about shrimp cocktails...an entirely different copa of fish.

The Voice of America

#67 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,544 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:18 AM

shrimp cocktails, fish. same difference. cristina over jaymes--that's the gist of it.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#68 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:32 AM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Sep 30 2007, 10:18 PM) View Post
shrimp cocktails, fish. same difference. cristina over jaymes--that's the gist of it.

Nice try, but it's too late to hide our love.

The Voice of America

#69 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE(joiei @ Sep 30 2007, 07:06 PM) View Post
QUOTE(foodie52 @ Sep 30 2007, 06:44 PM) View Post

You have to ask Jaymes about the wedding cakes. My overall favorites were the first My Fair Lady cake, the Pennys from Heaven cake and the Sunset Boulevard cake. THe Kitchenaid mixer cake was a great idea that needed some refinement. The cakes from the 7 to 12 year old catagory were amazing.

Huh, I thought Jaymes was a little bit older than that. Not much, just a bit... tongue.gif

Mexico Cooks!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

#70 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:51 PM

Made the version according to Queen Jaymes. Had to use frozen shrimp but still good.
Leftovers were tossed with boiled nopalitos and will become lunch today.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#71 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,398 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 02:49 AM

QUOTE(Jaymes @ Mar 20 2005, 09:16 AM) View Post
.... My dinner parties are usually very casual affairs. There's always booze. The atmosphere is relaxed. I certainly have no 'staff' to help me by rushing in to clear the table and begin the cleanup. And I'm such a procrastinator that I put it off until the last possible moment. For one thing, I hate to break the mellow mood. So we invariably linger at the table laughing and talking and polishing off the wine or beer or Sangria or whatever we're having. The last of the fish is usually picked off, quite languidly and casually, by the fingers of the people that happen to be sitting in front of the platter.

Rereading this thread, I just picked up on this comment. Defines entertaining for me. Thanks, Jaymes, for reminding us what it's all about. wub.gif

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#72 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE(voyager @ Oct 5 2007, 09:49 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Jaymes @ Mar 20 2005, 09:16 AM) View Post
.... My dinner parties are usually very casual affairs. There's always booze. The atmosphere is relaxed. I certainly have no 'staff' to help me by rushing in to clear the table and begin the cleanup. And I'm such a procrastinator that I put it off until the last possible moment. For one thing, I hate to break the mellow mood. So we invariably linger at the table laughing and talking and polishing off the wine or beer or Sangria or whatever we're having. The last of the fish is usually picked off, quite languidly and casually, by the fingers of the people that happen to be sitting in front of the platter.

Rereading this thread, I just picked up on this comment. Defines entertaining for me. Thanks, Jaymes, for reminding us what it's all about. wub.gif

blush.gif Thanks.

The Voice of America