• Please log in to reply
2548 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:31 AM

Did you get the Wagyu patty?

Rocky

I was there, and we did the Wagyu thang. The burger was perfectly creditable, but not mind-blowing, and it was expensive. It had a nice, beefy taste, but the texture was not particularly tender. The fries were Sysco specials but, as Fay Jai said, proudly advertised. Weird. All the burgers came with a big stack of very tasty pickles.

If I were at the U-Village and felt burger-ish, sure, unless there was a UW game on, in which case I'm guessing the place turns into a zoo.

c

Yeah, because god forbid anyone ever go to Johnny Rockets to satisfy a burger craving while at U-Village or anywhere else actually. What the hell is the deal with steaming the burgers!? Did they learn how to make a burger from Seymour Skinner? "Oh, no Superintendent Chalmers, in my family we call hamburgers steamed hams."

Rocky

#32 Fay Jai

Fay Jai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:34 PM

Gotta agree with Cam...It WAS expensive. Anita got the Stadium burger. Yup. 'twas big.

Yup. Did the Wagyu upgrade.

Yup. Was about as expensive as the Burger at the Palace Kitchen :D ;).

Yeesh.

Anyway, yes, it was a serviceable burger. Maybe it was the lighting, but we had a bit of a tuff time figuring out how done the burgers were. I'm a coarse, mean, ill-tempered s.o.b., ( :D :D ) so I gave our server quite a tongue lashing about how if we didn't get our burgers exactly the way we wanted them, we would all throw temper tantrums...ok, no I didn't. I DID say that we trusted that they handled the beef carefully, and that it was important to us that we got our burgers cooked to the doneness that we requested. (Our server, by the way, did a pretty good job.) We got the burgers, and, well, mine seemed more done then I had requested. It was pretty juicy, tho, and I am one of those unfortunate souls who thinks mayo is its own foodgroup, so it wan't a huge problem.

Anita, who was the stud of the night, (ordering the 1/2 lb patty...You're making me look bad!!! :D ) had one of the weirder things I've seen...It looked like her burger was cooked on a schizophrenic grill. One part was done almost too much, another part was considerably less done. (Like, it was the difference of a bite between the two degrees of doneness.)

Or maybe it was the cook that was schizophrenic? (Ohh...I'm a bad bad boy...)

And, as Cam pointed out, the texture....Strange. It was the coarsest/biggest grind of ground beef that I've ever seen. Maybe they thought a bigger grind would keep more of the Wagyu Beef's charectoristics intact? Dunno, but it was definetly different.

All in all though, not a bad time.
www.bloatitup.com

#33 reese

reese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:04 PM

it seems i was destined not, as i'd hoped, to go down in a flame-broiled blaze of glory, but rather, sadly, to be found asleep at the grill.

not only did i neglect to visit *either* of my selected spots, but er, no one who went liked, er *either* of them...either. (special apologies to anita, cam & jason)

in a shameless effort to redeem myself, i endeavored to find a burgermaster wise, dependable and discerning enough to pick up my slack.

guess what kids? it's tighe week here on mouthfuls! unbeknownst to either of us, abra and i both picked tighe, and fortunately for us all, he melted under the pressure like velveeta on nachos. but much classier.

to the beef!

#34 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:00 PM

it seems i was destined not, as i'd hoped, to go down in a flame-broiled blaze of glory, but rather, sadly, to be found asleep at the grill.

not only did i neglect to visit *either* of my selected spots, but er, no one who went liked, er *either* of them...either. (special apologies to anita, cam & jason)

in a shameless effort to redeem myself, i endeavored to find a burgermaster wise, dependable and discerning enough to pick up my slack.

guess what kids? it's tighe week here on mouthfuls! unbeknownst to either of us, abra and i both picked tighe, and fortunately for us all, he melted under the pressure like velveeta on nachos. but much classier.

to the beef!

How can I be da man when you da......wait a second....I must be da man! Holding the gustatory fate of all Mouthfuls PNW members in my hands this month is going straight to my head, I'm drunk with power, or maybe it's that bottle of wine [Hey! I'm not working this week].

I feel a little like a fish out of water here since I haven't been playing along with BOM, but I have two nominees [breaking the rules already...]:

'Gourmet' burger category -

Collins Pub
526 2nd Ave

'Greasy' burger category -

CC's Burgers
2600 E Union St

Since I'm going to be working downtown now, I should be able to make it to Collins for lunch some day this month. If anyone else is interested in meeting there, let me know.

BTW, velveeta?!?!? at least give me gruyere....
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#35 reese

reese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:18 PM

thanks tighe - i knew you could do it.

though - you are twisting the knife just a little with 2 great options after my 2...less successful ones. that's cool though. i'll just sit back and learn how it's done.

collins sounds good, but i am all over the "every thang" at CC's. i'm powerless before a "thang." it really doesn't even sound that good - but that name has me in it's thrall.

gruyere... on nachos? :blink:

#36 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:45 PM

gruyere... on nachos? :blink:

OK, OK...how 'bout pepper jack? [Which you can get on your burger at CC's, BTW]

#37 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:19 PM

Since I'm going to be working downtown now, I should be able to make it to Collins for lunch some day this month. If anyone else is interested in meeting there, let me know.

This sounds good Tighe. Fridays work best for me but, if next week works, I am available Wednesday, Thursday or Friday.

If Friday is not an option, I can try and move my schedule around to make it work.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#38 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:09 PM

Since I'm going to be working downtown now, I should be able to make it to Collins for lunch some day this month.  If anyone else is interested in meeting there, let me know.

This sounds good Tighe. Fridays work best for me but, if next week works, I am available Wednesday, Thursday or Friday.

If Friday is not an option, I can try and move my schedule around to make it work.

This sounds like a good idea. I could do Friday this week, or a late Friday lunch (1:00) next week, or Wed or Thurs next week.
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#39 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:11 PM

I'm also up for a Friday burger! Collins Pub is walking distance for me.
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#40 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:05 PM

I'd love to go for Friday lunch, this week, next week, any week.

Rocky

#41 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 05:26 PM

heeeeyyyy I might be able to do a late friday lunch this week with ya'll. its possible... hmmmmmmmmm

(edit: by late, I'm talking 1pm...)
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#42 elswinger

elswinger

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 09:18 PM

Posted Image

Want to go to Pennsylvania?

#43 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 12:48 AM

Sorry for being slow to respons, this no computer at work thing is irking me. I would vote for next Friday (the 13th) rather than this Friday. I could probably do it on the late side if that works best for most.

#44 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:40 AM

actually, its looking like next friday is better for me too. HMM?? Maybe we have 2 excursions. I've never been to either CC's or Collins Pub, so I'm open.
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#45 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:01 PM

A late lunch on Friday the 13th works for me! What is late? 1 PM?

(Collins Pub is the place next to Ibiza, right?) :blink:
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM