163 replies to this topic

#151 Sleepy_Dragon

Sleepy_Dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:20 PM

Holy hell, I didn't think I was going to be hungry again, but those luscious photos put paid to that. Thanks vengroff. :blink:

I liked Jones more than Sheik's, though they were both enjoyable. Jones got the nod because of the deeper smoking and more tender falling off the bone meat. But apparently the second batch of Sheik's was supposed to be better than the first batch I got, so I missed out on comparing them again. Drat.

whitelotus: I suspect a lot of people didn't get a chance to taste the fritters because they got snarfed by passerby as fast as I was frying them up, hehe. But here is the recipe if you wanna make yer own:

http://southernfood..../r/bl01108a.htm

Gotta give props to the frou crew again, the caramel cake and sherbet dome were beautiful and outstanding. Both had great balance and went down so easy. I love it when desserts are enjoyably sweet and refreshing without being throat-clenchingly cloying.

Also delicious were the beans and greens. A bbq cannot be complete without those two items and they were meltingly tender and delicious. And the casserole and fried pickles. Oh, and the mac 'n' cheese. The pickles were a real revelation, crunchy and juicy and woke up the taste buds.

I know I am missing things, I didn't have room for some, and was definitely too full to sample the pastries the Amster-Burtons brought over, damnit. Also hated passing up on the smoked salmon too but Storage Capacity Exceeded! :lol:

Thanks everyone for the great food and times, it was nice seeing everyone again and meeting folks I'd not met before.

Pat

#152 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:23 PM

Thanks so much to Tighe and Scrat for hosting, you have a great house. Dani loved all of the planes overhead, she kept asking me, can we live under the approach pattern someday. :blink: Everything was awesome, from all of the everything, to the oh my god, to the I've died and gone to heaven. It was great to meet new faces and see just about everyone there. I think I'm in the Jones camp on the ribs, I liked the penetrationd and the tenderness more, but the Sheik's were excellent also. I think Dayne is right and we should just always have both.

Rocky

#153 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:01 PM

Great day, great food, great company, great hosts, great pictures!!!!

Thank you to Vince and Pat for having us and thanks to everyone for sharing all that good food and conversation.

I liked both sets of ribs, but enjoyed the secod pan of Sheik's better than the first. Liked the texture of the Sheik's and the deep flavor of Jones'. I like Dayne's idea, let's just always have both!
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#154 creepygirl

creepygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 05:35 AM

Rupa's got her photos up now. Anyone who wants to see the group photo or some astonishingly cute baby photos (as well as more shots of the food) should look there.

Thanks to Tighe and Scrat for hosting, and to everyone for making and bringing such wonderful food. Rupa and I had a great time meeting you all. :blink:

#155 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:37 PM

Wow! What a great shindig! These "potlucks" just ruin me for the normal meaning of that term. Thanks to everyone for your contributions, I think scrat and I had the easiest job of all: pick up the ribs, open the door and enjoy. The weather wasn't everything that I'd hoped for, but at least most of us were able to finish eating before the skies opened.

Not surprisingly I suppose, I come down on the Sheik's side of the discussion. I love the pronounced smokiness. One of of his biggest problems is evidenced by the difference between the two pans though. Whatever his process is, he doesn't get consistent results. One recent dinner, we brought the ribs home and threw them in the oven for a couple hours because they weren't really done and other times they are absolutely falling from the bone. Hopefully with more experience and a more consistent volume of business he'll find the groove. I actually thought the Jones ribs were more tender this time that they typically are.

Great pics to all the photographers. Rupa even managed to make our yard look good, now that's talent!

Somehow I managed to miss out on too many of the dishes that were brought, so I think we should have a 'do-over' later this year. :lol:

There were some odds and ends left behind, so if you're missing bowls, tupperware, etc., let me know and we'll figure out a way to get them to you.

We've been enjoying the spoils of hosting, although I can't say I ever got really hungry yesterday. :blink:
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#156 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 01:49 AM

Before I left the barbeque, I took a sample of both the Jones and Sheik's ribs home to try the next day :blink:. While the day of the party, I preferred the Jones by an overwhelming margin, the second day I liked the Sheiks as much as the Jones .

Although the Sheiks seemed drier and chewier, the smoke & subtle flavor of the 2nd batch of Sheiks seemed more natural and fresh tasting than the Sheik's I had the previous day, and was as good as or better than Jones. Jones flavor was maybe a little too intense in a way that's hard to describe, that initially tasted better, but I think I might tire of as time goes on (possibly). The Jones ribs were more tender and juicy, though. Going from memory now ... looking back, were the Jones ribs meat itself throughout more pink than the Sheiks, and if so, what would cause that?

If I were to go back for more, I would lean towards Sheiks now, as their flavor has left me more with a feeling of intrigue about them and wanting to try them again...

The recipe I used for the Chile Rellenos casserole came from our very own Jaymes who some of you met last summer at 7 Stars Pepper get together, when she and her friend Sue were visiting from Austin. The link to her recipe which appears on eG is Here, but scroll down. I used freshly roasted whole poblanos for this. Thank you Jaymes. :lol:

#157 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 04:06 PM

Wow! What a great feast. Pat and Vince, you are so generous to have all of us in your home. I hope it wasn't too much of a mess to clean up!

I have to say that I am a Sheiks fan. I like the more dry and smoky ribs and I didn't mind the texture at all. The sauce on the Jones was just too much for me. It masked the great taste of smoked meat. I had some leftover Jones last night and while I thought the smoke was more pronounced than the first day, it was still overwhelmed by the sauce.

Vengroff and Rupa, thanks for the great pictures of the food. Boy, there was a lot of it. I loved it all but I have to say the deep fried pickles made the largest impact on me. I'd never had (or even dreamed they existed) them before and I was surprised at how much I liked them. I am a salt fiend and they filled my mouth with salty goodness.

Thanks again to everyone.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#158 girl chow

girl chow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:03 PM

Wow! What a great spread. I'm still full (well, not really, but, you know...). I thought Vengroff's meat bread was about the yummiest homemade bread I've had in ages. And I ate 4 (or 5 or 6) too many of Sleepy Dragon's sweet potato fritters. And I have to admit I fell on the side of the Jones ribs, although Mr. Girl Chow liked Sheik's better. I don't know where the sauce came from that was next to the bowl of shredded smoked meat (from DrColby??), but it was pretty tasty!

The mojito I had knocked me on my bottom, thanks Rocky! If our little boy was being more cooperative (he was too tired to enjoy himself, or to let us enjoy ourselves), I would have stayed and made blended watermelon drinks a'la Col Klink style (using his recipe, of course... watermelon, liquor, some more liquor, a little ice, more watermelon and liquor....). Alas, watermelon bombs will have to wait for another party.

Thanks to Tighe and Scrat for hosting. Your little guy is adorable!

#159 schielke

schielke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:11 PM

Oh my god.

Tighe and Scrat, you have the cutest child on earth.

#160 heyjude

heyjude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:24 PM

Apparently, you didn't see the other 2 babies. I'm just saying.

#161 Charcoop

Charcoop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:27 PM

Good Grandma Judy!..... :blink:

Char

Growing Old Isn't for Sissies

Bette Davis

#162 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:44 PM

I'm sure that Schielke thinks they're the 2nd & 3rd cutest babies on earth.... :blink: :lol:
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#163 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:58 PM

Photos cannot possibly do Caitlin's beauty justice, although this one comes close.
Obviously, she gets her natural photogenic qualities from me. :blink:
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#164 schielke

schielke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 01:31 PM

He he, well of course the other babies are freakin cute! I just havent seen Tighe's larvae yet. :blink: