30 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 03:13 PM

Aside from shopping, there's some good casual eating to be done here. I haven't yet tried all the options, but I did want to recommend the seafood wraps at the Lobster Place. Two lobster wraps for $9.95: the first was slightly meagre, but the second was stuffed with big chunks of tender, fresh lobster. And right across the passage, there are some decent Italian sandwiches in front of Buon Italia. Bizarrely, the store - which carries a very big range of Italian food - doesn't carry the breads used to make the sandwiches.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#2 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,374 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 07:23 PM

I believe Buon Italia is owned by one of Tony May's brothers.

My guess is they don't want to carry the bread for sale for fear of not selling all of them and having to toss them but you'd thnk they'd carry at least a few loaves.

You could make like Jack Nicholson and ask for a few sandwiches without anything on them. :)

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#3 marcus

marcus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 07:47 PM

You can give a pass to the Green Table, prices are high, and everything else is low, including portion size and flavors. It's the kind of place that believes that the name "nieman ranch" answers all questions.

#4 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 01:34 AM

I know there are numerous cheeses that can be obtained from Buon Italia but I'm surprised that there's not a serious cheese shop in Chelsea Market.

There's good wine, bread, fruit, meat, fish, dairy, cakes and pastries and more but no store dedicated to selling cheese.

Hey Murray's, hey Artisanal! Hey Caseophile! :lol:
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#5 Guest_Suzanne F_*

Guest_Suzanne F_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2005 - 02:32 AM

Remember that one of the lease terms for companies in CM is that they have to do both wholesale and retail business. IIRC, originally businesses that wanted to move their wholesale production operations there also had to open a retail storefront to serve the public.

So I would guess that it might also be true that if you want to open retail in CM, you need to have your wholesale (or at least back office) there as well. (Although that's just a guess and I could be wrong.) That rules out Artisanal, then, which has that relatively new facility nearby. As for the others Rose mentions . . . :lol: :( Of course, I wouldn't object to Ruthie's being replaced. :)

#6 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 03:19 PM

New York markets (and supermarkets) seemed plagued with regulations which make one-stop shopping impossible. :lol:
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#7 Guest_Suzanne F_*

Guest_Suzanne F_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2005 - 05:23 PM

Is it really regulations,* or space deficiencies (due to high real estate costs) and delivery difficulties (narrow, crowded streets instead of big parking lots)?

*To me, regulations are govt. mandated; lease provisions are merely the workings of the free market. :lol:

#8 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:24 PM

Sunday dinner from here:

1.Organic brocolli from the fruit and veg place
2.Baguette from Amy's
3.Really great porchetta, freshly made, warm and huge (this wasn't suckling pig) stuffed with garlic and herbs....two thick slices each weighing a half pound all for $15.00 with crispy skin and juicy meat from Buon Italia
4.Cheese from Buon Italia that was surprisingly good, creamy gorgonzola, a young Taleggio, some fantastic Parma.Reg. and a lovely Fontina
5. Marons glace

I guess it was the weekend of piggie
curb your god

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#9 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:40 PM

Is it really regulations,* or space deficiencies (due to high real estate costs) and delivery difficulties (narrow, crowded streets instead of big parking lots)?

*To me, regulations are govt. mandated; lease provisions are merely the workings of the free market. :D

I had in mind the rules which prevent greenmarket vendors selling anything from out of state, but these provisions at Chelsea Markets seem oppressive too. What's the reason?
Elect-a-lujah

#10 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,440 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:46 PM

The Greenmarkets are not ordinary farmer's markets. Here is the explanatory paragraph from tghe Council on the Envornment's website:

Greenmarket, a program of the Council on the Environment of NYC, promotes regional agriculture and ensures a continuing supply of fresh, local produce for New Yorkers. Greenmarket has organized and managed open-air farmers markets in NYC since 1976. By providing regional small family farmers with opportunities to sell their fruits, vegetables and other farm products to New Yorkers, Greenmarket supports farmers and preserves farmland for the future.

I can accept the Greenmarket system for what it is. The NY regulation that I find most annoying is that one cannot buy wine in a food store and that a wine store cannot carry food.

Other annoying regs, of course, are those concerning raw-milk cheese, the sale of real game, and the restrictions on the importation of certain meats and meat products.

#11 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:08 PM

3.Really great porchetta, freshly made, warm and huge (this wasn't suckling pig) stuffed with garlic and herbs....two thick slices each weighing a half pound all for $15.00 with crispy skin and juicy meat from Buon Italia
4.Cheese from Buon Italia that was surprisingly good, creamy gorgonzola, a young Taleggio, some fantastic Parma.Reg. and a lovely Fontina

Ooooh! I'm also glad to hear that the cheese is better. They pre-wrap most of their cheese and on the one occassion that I asked them to cut parm from their wheel, it took soooooo long. Made me appreciate the DiPalos guys and gals.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#12 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:28 PM

It's true, they were prewrapped. That's why I said they were surprisingly good. The ParmReg was just casually wrapped...as if it had just been cut. It had that crunchy quality I love which is probably the crystalization of the milk sugars....yum.
curb your god

CERES GALLERY

#13 scamhi

scamhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:13 PM

I was also at Buon Italia yesterday. I bought a 15.00 piece of reggiano that was "center cut" just had the smallest piece of rind on one side. They were also selling a special parm at the truffle counter for about 16.00 per lb.

#14 Guest_Aaron T_*

Guest_Aaron T_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:22 PM

I took some out of town friends to Chelsea market on Saturday and they oohed and ahed. Only purchase between all if us was a caramel brownie from Fat Witch. I thought it was good - but not worth going out of my way for.

#15 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 05:33 PM

Try Buon Italia's speck.
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”