19 replies to this topic

#16 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,652 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:51 PM

That soup was great and the cafe had a nice wine list..  The crab sandwich at Hackett's was very nice, as was their beef stew with Guinness..  A bonus is that Hackett's is beyond picturesque.

Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#17 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:01 PM

That soup was great and the cafe had a nice wine list..  The crab sandwich at Hackett's was very nice, as was their beef stew with Guinness..  A bonus is that Hackett's is beyond picturesque.

The crab sandwich at Kalbo's in Skibbereen was great too. What else was it: smoked salmon on a champ cake over those wonderful Thornhill salad greens?

Nearly every place has the sourcing on the menu these days, even the pubs, which makes shopping for excellent ingredients that much easier. Field's Supermarket in Skib remains the best in Cork by far.

Other market vendors of note were West Cork Olives (both Schull and Skib) and the Gubbeen burger at Frankie's (Skib market and now at Hackett's on weekend evenings according to their Facebook page).

BlondieNY.com

"Finally something intelligent."

#18 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:39 PM

As Daisy mentioned, we had a ton of charcuterie from Gubbeen.

They've slowly expanded the Gubbeen product range over the years, with Fingal Ferguson, Giana's son, in charge of the smokehouse, producing everything from bacon (Irish and streaky) and chorizo to a selection of salamis (including venison, which was delicious). The pigs are all reared locally (note the conditions), with a "Piggy Co-op" where you can apply as a farmer/supplier.

Fingal also makes a beautiful range of knives, but at a production rate of 1-2 knives a week, there's a 2 year waiting list.

The farm itself is just up the road behind the cottage I rent, and if I can find the photos I took nearby, I'll post a few. To say it's picturesque is an understatement.

BlondieNY.com

#19 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:43 PM

The piglets are so yummy (er, cute)

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#20 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:46 PM

The piglets are so yummy (er, cute)

The local lambs are pretty delicious adorable too. 

BlondieNY.com