165 replies to this topic

#31 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,670 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:48 PM

Neither of you have palates. That's why.

:lol: ;)

the sacs can explode and shoot hot egg all over your face.

;)
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#32 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,454 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:49 PM

Does anyone know a place that serves a great version?

Jack's, in Albany, see above.

42-44 State St. (Broadway)
Albany, NY 12207
518-465-8854

Very traditional.

#33 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:53 PM

Jack's is a terrific place. Almost makes me sorry I have no reason to go to Albany.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#34 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:55 PM

http://www.jacksoyst....com/index.html

I may have to go. The house upstate is only 1/2 hour away.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#35 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,454 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:32 PM

And you've never been? It's an institution. Shad is not listed on the menu, but I guess it would be a special.

#36 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:58 PM

Having not cooked it yet, I am looking forward to playing around with it.. Whats your favorite preparation, favorite pairing.. I see in the Inn at Little Washington Book he puts it with banana.. Miss Edna Lewis has some interesting recipes.. Lets get into it..
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#37 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:01 PM

A search for "shad roe" in titles turns up four threads, which I think could usefully be merged if the Admins have the opportunity - perhaps in the fish forum.

Last season was a complete wash-out, with the roes being so small that selling them was - I understand - legally questionable. I hope for better this year.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#38 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:05 PM

Nothing wrong with a beurre blanc. If you want to be more southern about it, I suppose you could make a bacon beurre blanc. :)

#39 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:14 PM

I confess, I've never thought of pairing it with banana.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#40 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:27 PM

I found this other recipe where it is boiled and mashed.. Then fried like fritters.. I see it boiled, broiled, baked, pan fried, deep fried,steamed, bacon wrapped, phylo wrapped,simmered in tomato sauce, served in soups and salads.. Lots of choices here.. I live in Manhattan but it appears the Minnow in Brooklyn is being the most adventurous.. Might have to head on over one of these days.. Too bad the diet re-started this morning.. I dont know if its cheating if I am on official bite club business..

#41 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:30 PM

I cannot imagine why anyone would boil and pound it to make fritters. It is incredibly delicate, and cooks in moments anyway. If you like the fritter idea, just batter or bread it and fry it as it comes. As for diets, it's very good with a cream sauce. :P
Elect-a-lujah

#42 guajolote

guajolote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:44 PM

Whats your favorite preparation, favorite pairing.

Shad Roe Mousse Pocahontas

#43 Maurice Naughton

Maurice Naughton

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:20 PM

At the fishmonger's nearby, the guy's wife gave me this shad recipe, which I have translated as best I can. I won't try it myself 'cause I'm alone and it's too much.

Oven Roasted Shad with roe

Choose a beautiful whole shad of approximately four-and-and-a-half pounds. Remove the scales and reserve the eggs (My fish-person will do this. Yours probably will too).

Chop the following finely to make a stuffing:
- the shad roe
- 6 ounces of dry ham (prosciutto, serrano, Bayonne, etc.)
- 4 to 5 beautiful shallots
- 1 whole egg
- 2 or 3 cloves of garlic
- salt and pepper

Moisten it all with a small glass of Armagnac and thicken it with some bread crumbs.

Slice the fish in inch-and-a-half pieces and reassemble it in an oven-safe dish, putting a bit of sorrel between the slices. Put the stuffing inside the fish and arrange any surplus all around. Moisten it all with dry white wine, the best you can afford.

Cover the dish with aluminum foil. If you have the time, let the whole thing marinate 2 or 3 hours in the refrigerator. Cook it in an average oven for about an hour. Remove the foil and to let it cook until the wine has evaporated and the stuff on the bottom of the dish starts to caramelize.

Arrange the fish and stuffing on a hot platter, deglaze the pan with a little wine, and pour the sauce over the whole. Serve it with potatoes or braised endives or leeks and something green.
Cambridge University Professor of Electrical Engineering, Sir Charles Oatley, in October, 1948, along with his student Dennis McMullan, began the research that led to the production of the first scanning electron microscope in 1965.

I thought you'd want to know.

#44 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:23 PM

Two questions. What if I only have ugly shallots and will it work with an above average oven?
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#45 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:26 PM

Above average oven I would watch the time more carefully.. With ugly shallots you should serve your guests a couple of beers first to make them look more appealing.. :P