Photo

Whiskey

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_Adam_*

Guest_Adam_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2005 - 09:35 PM

i think we need a cricket thread. if for no other reason than for me to explain to you why shane warne is overrated.

p.s: beating england these days at cricket is like beating india in football. everybody does it.

Shane Warne is over-rated. Especially by himself.

If we had a cricket thread I could tell you how Bishan Bedi* told me that 'my meat pies where very good'.

* I catered for the wake of his ex-wife.

#17 Tamar G

Tamar G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:03 PM

I buy myself a bottle whiskey everytime I leave the dentists office because I hate the dentists (although I adore my new french dentist).  I always feel I deserve a treat.  :lol:

My newest post-dentist purchase: Bowmore, aged 11 yr, unchilfiltered. I've never tried an unchilfiltered whisky so this will be fun.

#18 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,569 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:20 PM

unchilfiltered

what does this mean?

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#19 Tamar G

Tamar G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:41 PM

chillfiltering is a process where the whisky is cooled down until some solids appear. These are then removed to produce a clearer, not cloudy product. There's some argument that chill filtration removes flavor as well. I've never tried an unchillfiltered malt (I think its chillfiltered unless it specifically specifies that it's not) so I have no idea. I guess I'll see.

#20 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,392 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:24 AM

I mean, it's stupid to even think one could compete with the tasting notes on Mongo's blog -- and of course one wouldn't even try.

And since Mongo expends his whiskey energy there, it's stupid to think he has any left for elsewhere.  I'm not trying to impinge on that.  (See http://myannoyingopi...whisky-reviews/ ).

But I'm sitting here (as a completely admitted non-connoisseur) drinking a Highland Park 12-year-old that I had in my closet, and while I must admit I'm predisposed to like anything coming out of the Orkneys, I think this is remarkably good for an entry-level whiskey:  round, full, and with plenty of surprising flavors that jump out at you at odd times -- like, just when you're mentally commenting on the caramel, the citrus jumps out; and then just when you're beginning to take the citrus for granted, you get a dose of very subtle smoke; and then the vanilla; and you know what I mean.

I think I've had tastes of more senior bottlings from Highland Park as parts of flights at Keens Chophouse in New York.  But I don't particularly remember them.  This whiskey strikes me as an exceptional value, and it makes me want to march over to Keens and try a glass of something better from them (after a nice "mutton" chop).

Bar Loser

MF Old

#21 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,569 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:45 AM

highland park 12 is the great all-rounder of single malt scotch whisky. it's a perennial favourite of mine. if you can find a bar that also has the 15 yo and 18 yo, it's interesting to compare the different profiles the distillery chooses to put out at those ages (through a mix of different cask types).

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#22 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,392 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:51 AM

Yeah.  Ima do that at Keens.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#23 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,149 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:21 AM

Highland Park no longer the deal it once was alas.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#24 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,569 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:25 PM

indeed--especially for the 18 yo and older. but the 12 yo is still available <$50 in most markets, including ny.

~homer simpson

#25 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,757 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:05 PM

Did I recommend Copper & Oak on Allen Street?  Good place for comparative sipping of brown liquors.  Longest list I can remember seeing in New York (maybe Brandy Library--same people--is longer).

#26 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,569 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:20 PM

in november 2005 i was asking what "chillfiltered" means. in september 2015 i am a tedious whisky blogger.

~homer simpson

#27 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,401 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:22 PM

If you find yourself in Paris with time on your hands, you might stop in one of the Maison du Whisky, one at Odeon, another near the Madelaine.    Good calvados and cognac collections also.  

http://www.whisky.fr/boutiques/

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#28 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:48 PM

I don't drink whisky/whiskey, and I don't know how respected these ratings are, but Jim Murray named Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye his 2016 World Whisky of the Year. The top 5 are:

• Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye
  • Pikesville Straight Rye
  • Midleton Dair Ghaelach
  • William Larue Weller Bourbon
  • Suntory Yamazaki Mizunara

Crown Royal is produced a short distance from where I live.

#29 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:21 PM

Is something like http://www.mouth.com...-malt-whiskey-1 or http://www.mouth.com...bourbon-whiskey actually a legitimate product? 9 months and 6 months respectively for "single malt" and "bourbon" sounds ridiculously short.
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#30 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:44 PM

I don't drink whisky/whiskey, and I don't know how respected these ratings are, but Jim Murray named Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye his 2016 World Whisky of the Year. The top 5 are:

• Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye
  • Pikesville Straight Rye
  • Midleton Dair Ghaelach
  • William Larue Weller Bourbon
  • Suntory Yamazaki Mizunara

Crown Royal is produced a short distance from where I live.

I've always loved Pikesville. Especially since I was getting handles at about $15. (It's believed to be Rittenhouse at 80 proof).