10 replies to this topic

#1 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:42 AM

I knew Jamais' club would not fare well enough not to open itself to non-members' reservations.

That's been confirmed. In this month's Gotham magazine, it states: "Though intended to be a semi-private club, Bruno Jamais restaurant Club has no evident distinction between members and nonmembers -- except, of course, the fee. (If you are not a member, you can call the restaurant for a reservation, and should it have tables available, it will slip you in. But we didn't tell you that.)" <_<

The signs were all there. First of all, a James Beard "benefit" with a champagne house. Followed by a private dinner for a gastronomic society.... A NY Tasters Guild event....

#2 scamhi

scamhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 01:14 PM

They had an ad in the NYT last week with a number posted for ressies.

#3 marcus

marcus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 01:58 PM

Is there any reason that one should want to go to this place??

I wonder if Jamais has gotten any more pleasant, now that he can no longer play king of the hill in a restaurant that people really do want to go to?

#4 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 02:02 PM

I haven't heard much about the food since it opened. What's the actual name - is it Club Jamais?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#5 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 02:26 PM

Interestingly, for a while Bruno Jamais had the former chef from Lotus. Then he had Juan Cuevas as chef, who is former sous-chef to Delouvrier at Lespinasse and is now working with Dan Barber at Blue Hill Washington Square. So at one point Jamais had a good chef in the form of Cuevas.

#6 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,320 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 02:28 PM

What's the actual name - is it Club Jamais?

Bruno's
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#7 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 02:50 PM

Thanks. So, here it is on City Search. Looks pretty public to me. Not on Open Table yet :lol: .
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#8 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 04:16 PM

I have the card on my desk.

BRUNO'S

Bruno Jamais

Restaurant Club

edit: There is no phone number, but there is a space on the back of the card for one. Mine has a hand written number in that space.
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#9 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 05:56 PM

Looks as if it's been open to non-members for quite a while. I found this December 2003 report in New York Post of all places:

"Sole meuniere ($42) reminded me why I didn't eat fish as child. It was so overcooked and dry that the waiter, in an act of mercy, brought over some Bearnaise sauce meant for a different dish. It didn't help.

The menu's idea of laughs is not to tell you that "French lentil/port reduction" ($14) is soup. Served one time with crab meat the waiter identified as "crème fraiche," another time without, it twice betrayed a curiously granular consistency.

You won't go wrong with sweet-as-candy beef short ribs ($28). But clumsy sauces and dressings take the joy out of plausible efforts like seared tuna served, strangely enough, with chanterelles ($28). Beware at all costs basil tagliatelle ($26), bland enough for a rest home."

But it's a friendly place! Full report
http://www.nypost.com/food/14821.htm
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#10 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 06:26 PM

Sounds like fun, apart from the food. I'd be miffed if I'd paid the fee, though.
Elect-a-lujah

#11 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:06 AM

We should have an MFF event there.