Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 04:36 PM

Ta. I must give this a try.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#32 jinmyo

jinmyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 04:43 PM

Congee with shunjiku (chrysanthemum) broth and peas.

Steamed baby Shanghai bok choy.

Three kinds of tofu roasted with eryngi mushrooms.

Sweet Shanghai kimchi with lime.
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

#33 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 05:45 PM

Liza, I know it's very traditional, but how about a flourless chocolate cake, or a nut cake?

Rose Beranbaum's Chocolate Oblivion torte, the best flourless choc. cake ever, served with whipped cream and raspberry sauce.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#34 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 05:46 PM

Jinmyo, what distinguishes Shanghai kimchi?

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#35 jinmyo

jinmyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:30 PM

Jinmyo, what distinguishes Shanghai kimchi?

It's not Korean but from Shanghai (I purchased it).

The cabbage is quite firm, not as fermented. I did not detect fish sauce. Very sweet, and so I cut it (about three pounds of it) with the juice and long strips of zest from three limes.
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

#36 akiko

akiko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 02:40 PM

I love supper threads.

purchased prime rib from Ginger Pig, salted it, let it sit in my fridge for a few days and then threw it in the oven at 450.

Took it out after it was nice a brown on the outside (around 20 minutes) lowered the temp to 350 and slathered the roast with a mixture of wholegrain mustard, olive oil, thyme, and pepper.

Put it back in till thermometer registered 115 ( I actually was going to take it out sooner but it seemed to jump from nowhere to 115)

Roasted cauliflower, creamed goat cheese spinach, on the side... a very nice meal. In fact, I'm eating some of that beef right now in my salad that I packed for lunch.

#37 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 02:48 PM

Akiko - what thermometer do you use?

v
...it actually comes down to what thrills you - Hugh Johnson

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

The most political act we do on a daily basis is to eat - Prof J Pretty

this city without boundaries we all share - zigzackly

#38 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 03:41 PM

Liza, I know it's very traditional, but how about a flourless chocolate cake, or a nut cake?

Rose Beranbaum's Chocolate Oblivion torte, the best flourless choc. cake ever, served with whipped cream and raspberry sauce.

Such a tease. If you have the time and are comfortable, could you direct me to the recipe?
Many thanks.

Wild boar sausage on toasted sourdough with melted Manchego and a smathering of guacamole.
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#39 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 03:48 PM

Such a tease. If you have the time and are comfortable, could you direct me to the recipe?
Many thanks.

But of course, Liza dollink. The recipe.

Wild boar sausage from Ted Blew?

-- Francis Mallman

#40 akiko

akiko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 03:51 PM

Vanessa, I have a digital one... but apparently it did not want to be used and was hiding last night, so I used my old sturdy, not very detailed but works for roasts, stick it in and see where the dial gets to.

I guess I should have realized that anything under 110 was not going to register at all since it starts at 110... but the needle did not even budge until it hit 120.

In case my digital one has done a runner and fled my flat, do you have a type you'd recommend?

#41 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 04:25 PM

Not from Ted. There's a bunch of new sausages at the Greenmarket. We are slowly working our way through the entirety and will report back, larger and fuller than before.
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#42 jinmyo

jinmyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 04:34 PM

Served family style for thirty:

Rye toast points with smoked liverwurst topped with slivered scallions.

Conchiglie pasta with a tomato and chipotle sauce with assorted peppers (poblano, cubanelle, red), pitted black olives, and red kidney beans.

Smoked chicken with sauteed wild mushrooms.

Roasted fennel with cubes of fruilano cheese and panko breadcrumbs.

Slaw of Korean green cabbage and onion with celery seeds.

#43 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 04:36 PM

While Alex is feasting in various dumpling houses of Taipei, i'm doing some experimenting:

Variation on Ming's hamburger and burger pockets (both are from his last book):
for shell i used a fresh pizza dough from Wegmans: it's decent.
filling was an angus strip steak ground and mixed with light soy sauce, dijon mustard, thyme and chives.

The dough is rolled to 1/4 inch thickness and twisted around a meatball to enclose (like a bun), then the thing is somewhat flattened and shallow fried.

Although as expected the dough on the side of twisted knot was completely unbaked, the other half of it came out perfectly including the filling: right texture, in fact the best texture i have in ground beef ever and very juicy.

Next time i'll check some of my russian books on how to shape this pirozhok properly.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#44 jinmyo

jinmyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 04:52 PM

Helena dear, welcome welcome welcome.

I still disapprove of mincing up strip steak though.

#45 clb

clb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 06:43 PM

So good to see helena back. :)

clb