19268 replies to this topic

#46 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 07:14 PM

Chicken braised with mirepoix, two hot cherry peppers, morrocan spiced olives, san marzano tomatoes.

Served with gruyere and yukon gold potato gratin.

Wine: 1996 DeBoysset et Chol St. Joseph.

#47 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 07:20 PM

In case my digital one has done a runner and fled my flat, do you have a type you'd recommend?

No, I've never used one, which is why I was asking you :)

And

very good to see Helena here

v
...it actually comes down to what thrills you - Hugh Johnson

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

The most political act we do on a daily basis is to eat - Prof J Pretty

this city without boundaries we all share - zigzackly

#48 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 09:10 PM

Not a good kitchen activity phase at the moment. Probably due to mental distractions. Either I don't want to cook, or I don't want to eat what I've cooked. A period when takeaways and ready meals have an attraction that has to be resisted fiercely. Prior to internet forums these phases were known to last a year or so on occasion.

Made something to go straight in the bin: besan roti ie chickpea flour roti. I have a feeling I detest besan. So, at the next wave of hunger it'll probably be toast with something. At least, unusually, I have bread, and very good bread at that: St John, bought at Neals Yard Dairy.

v
...it actually comes down to what thrills you - Hugh Johnson

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

The most political act we do on a daily basis is to eat - Prof J Pretty

this city without boundaries we all share - zigzackly

#49 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 11:27 PM

I have a feeling I detest besan.

Philistine. The Moro Cookbook has an excellent prawn fritter made with chickpea flour.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#50 jinmyo

jinmyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 11:51 PM

Frites made from chickpea flour are quite fun.
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

#51 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 12:46 AM

I have a feeling I detest besan.

Philistine. The Moro Cookbook has an excellent prawn fritter made with chickpea flour.

thanks for reminding me: will make this tomorrow night:
as for today my dinner shared both theme and destiny of Vanessa's: rava dosa or whatever pancakes i tried to make from semolina and yogurt ended up in garbage. Thanks god, i had a decent lunch (mother-daughter event in some good local sushi place), three spears of roasted asparagus from yesterday and a bottle of La Cuvee Mythique but this is probably a subject for another thread that Vanessa just started.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#52 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 01:03 AM

Not a good kitchen activity phase at the moment.  Probably due to mental distractions.  Either I don't want to cook, or I don't want to eat what I've cooked.  A period when takeaways and ready meals have an attraction that has to be resisted fiercely.  Prior to internet forums these phases were known to last a year or so on occasion.

Vanessa, it comforts me that I am not alone in this. I've had little desire to cook for months. It doesn't help that I live in Takeout Central, or that my husband won't eat most of what I might like to cook. He's away this weekend...maybe I'll make myself fegato alla Veneziana. :D
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#53 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 03:51 AM

Thanks god, i had a decent lunch, three spears of roasted asparagus from yesterday and a bottle of La Cuvee Mythique

actually it didn't work, as several hours later i found myself back in the kitchen scouting the fridge: the only edible stuff there was two russet potatoes and dosa batter :(
But hey, i invented the dish: cut potatoes in small dice, fried in peanut oil, added some dosa batter, stir-fried until ready: perfect!
Now, how should i call it? Does Goan tortilla sound right? :D
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#54 Guest_Adam_*

Guest_Adam_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2004 - 12:26 PM

Made Sichuan pork wih chilli bean sauce from the Dunlop book. Original recipe is fish, but pork is what I had. Quite good, would add bean curd next time.

#55 clb

clb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 12:47 PM

stir-fried tofu and onions with a soy and sugar glaze (NYT recipe from a few days back

Wilf, I just saw this.

I printed out the recipe last week but haven't made it yet. Any good?

clb

#56 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 03:12 PM

Well, I don't know if I made it very well. I thought that the glaze created by melting the sugar and adding the soy sauce (or fish sauce) would really coat the tofu. As it was, it sort of colored the tofu a little bit brown, but that's all. It strongly flavored the onions. One thing the recipe says is to add the sauce to the melted sugar "carefully". It doesn't say why, but I can tell you: the effect of briskly pouring cold sauce into melted sugar is that the sugar rolls up into a rock hard ball of candy. You then have to spend ten minutes carefully melting it again.

Ah, it was okay, nothing more. I'd spice it up with a bit of chili. I also added some chopped crimini mushrooms with the tofu, to give another texture.

Last night I gestured at my diet by eating another helping of meatloaf, but with mesclun salad rather than spuds.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#57 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:04 PM

For Liza - did you see the flourless chocolate cake with the halvah sauce recipe in the NYT?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#58 clb

clb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:13 PM

Well, I don't know if I made it very well.  I thought that the glaze created by melting the sugar and adding the soy sauce (or fish sauce) would really coat the tofu.  As it was, it sort of colored the tofu a little bit brown, but that's all.  It strongly flavored the onions.  One thing the recipe says is to add the sauce to the melted sugar "carefully".  It doesn't say why, but I can tell you:  the effect of briskly pouring cold sauce into melted sugar is that the sugar rolls up into a rock hard ball of candy.  You then have to spend ten minutes carefully melting it again.

Ah, it was okay, nothing more.  I'd spice it up with a bit of chili.  I also added some chopped crimini mushrooms with the tofu, to give another texture.

Thanks, Wilfrid.

It doesn't sound like a keeper.

clb

#59 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,449 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:19 PM

For Liza - did you see the flourless chocolate cake with the halvah sauce recipe in the NYT?

I'm going to pretend we're Sephardis and make it for the seder.

#60 jinmyo

jinmyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:20 PM

Soup and Sandwiches

Soup:

Chicken broth with a quail egg and slivered scallions.

Tomato water consomme with a grilled U10 shrimp and a drop of guajillo chile oil.

Panini (pressed hot sandwiches, pain de levain):

Chevre and roasted shaved fennel with arugula.

Fruilano with soprasetta.

Shredded lobster with caramelized onion and pepperoncino.

Bacon and tomato concasse.

Smoked chicken with peppers and chipotle.

Hot Italian sausage slices with pecorino and spinach.

And thick cut frites with fresh wasabi mayo.

For 30
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."