104 replies to this topic

#16 sparrowsfall

sparrowsfall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 03:40 PM

Is anyone going to PAULA WOLFERT, THE COOKING OF SOUTHWEST FRANCE, October 11th, at Union Bay Caf?
"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon." —Dalai Lama

#17 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:24 PM

New events email went out today... and I just made my reservation for Rick Bayless. :rolleyes:

~A
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#18 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:50 PM

Is anyone going to PAULA WOLFERT, THE COOKING OF SOUTHWEST FRANCE, October 11th, at Union Bay Caf?

Hmmm you thinking of going?? Is there still room?
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#19 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:54 PM

I'm still thinking about Sara Moultin and Michael Chiarrello.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#20 sparrowsfall

sparrowsfall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 09:00 PM

Is anyone going to PAULA WOLFERT,  THE COOKING OF SOUTHWEST FRANCE, October 11th, at Union Bay Caf?

Just called and there is still room. Any others we could make a gang of it?

Steve
"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon." —Dalai Lama

#21 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 11:26 PM

Is anyone going to PAULA WOLFERT,  THE COOKING OF SOUTHWEST FRANCE, October 11th, at Union Bay Caf?

Just called and there is still room. Any others we could make a gang of it?

Steve

I'm tempted, cuz I'm such a sucker for french food. I can't find a menu anywhere.. have you seen one Steve??
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#22 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 10:26 PM

A friend invited me to join her for Paula Wolfert this evening, so I'll be there for the early seating. Unfortunately, I won't be able to join an MF table, but maybe I'll see some of you there.

I love her Mediterranean cookbook and am really looking forward to this French one.
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#23 heyjude

heyjude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 05:14 AM

If you've checked the www.kimricketts.com web site you know we've added 8 new events to this season. I would go to any/all of them even if I didn't get to, but I especially want to pitch the Future of Food panel at Town Hall on Nov. 2nd which is only $15 and the dinner the next night at Oceanaire which is way more ($125), but Chef Kevin Davis is out to really thrill you. This is our 1st time there, but I'm sure not our last. The Michel Nischan book that he will sign for you at the dinner is a beauty. I think after you hear him speak you will doubly enjoy the dinner with him. I certainly don't want to discourage you from signing up for any of the other events, just putting my 2 cents in. Veil will have just opened before our wine party there and I'm sure we will be doing a MF gathering soon thereafter. For Portlanders, the 2 chocolate events should be stupendous. You can bring Alice Medrich's older books for her to sign, too. I am leaving tomorrow for a several days long birthday trip to Vancouver and Victoria. It's all planned around meals and snacks and if I survive it, I hope to see some of you soon.

#24 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:39 PM

Anyone else here thinking of going to the Boulevard dinner at Union on Nov 7? Anita and I will be at the Bayless dinner on the 9th, anyone else going to that one?

Rocky

#25 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:45 PM

How was the Wolfert event?? I'd love to read someone's report!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#26 scarlett

scarlett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 11:34 PM

Reporting on Michael Recchiuti event in Portland for his book “Chocolate Obsession”. Held at the new Pix location, which is much larger than their fist location, this was a wonderful event. Informal with easy access to Recchiuti in a cocktail party format. Pix made chocolates from the book and served them on beautiful silver trays. Rocky's got photos from the night and I'm sure he'll post those soon.

We sampled:

- Fleur de Sel Caramels
- Early Grey Tea Ganache
- Hazelnut, Pumpkin Seed, and Pistachio Dark Chocolate Bark
- Sesame Nougat
- Lavender Vanilla
- Burnt Carmel Ice Cream
- Hazelnut Ganache
- Pears with Key Lime and Dark Chocolate
- And a couple others I can't quite recall

Paired with:

- Hair of the Dog Adam - A Portland brew that went perfectly with chocolate.
- A ruby Port
- A tawny port

Michael Recchiuti was wonderful, accessible, and very informative. He talked about how his business evolved, working with Williams Sonoma (he's got a full page in this year's Christmas catalog), training with various chefs (including the Shaw of Iran's personal pastry chef), and upcoming chocolates he's working on (vegetables & chocolate). This was my first Cooks & Books event and I'm certainly looking forward to others...such a terrific experience!

It was also great to check out the new Pix location, which has only been open a couple weeks. They are doing some terrific pastries there and it's certainly worth a stop. I grabbed a copy of their menu and while I didn't try it, I'm intrigued by the "Pix's Beer Float", noted as a tasty combo of Rogue Chocolate Stout and Pix's homemade ice cream. Michael had it and said it was really good.

Check out:

http://www.recchiuticonfections.com

http://www.pixpatisserie.com/
Traca
Seattle, WA

blog: Seattle Tall Poppy
Examiner.com - Seattle Food Scene

#27 heyjude

heyjude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 12:11 AM

Scarlett, I'm so glad you had a good time. Michael was a joy to work with here at the dinner at Union Bay Cafe, too. A nice, generous man, he brought extra confections to add to those prepared by the restaurant. The rest of the meal prepared from Sara Moulton's latest book was also fabulous. We had just had dinner at West in Vancouver for my birthday and my sister and BIL (from NYC) who were at both dinners said they would not be able to choose which meal was better. We try to make all the events a special experience and felt we succeeded with these. And lmf, the event with Paula Wolfert was fun, but not as terrific foodwise. The courses were less balanced and texturally too similar, but we ate and drank it all, anyway. The next few events should be splendid. Some are sold out already, but check on-line. The 2 Alice Medrich events should please all of us chocolate lovers. Johnathan is keeping a waiting list for the Jerry Traunfeld event at Lark, but fingers crossed, we think/hope we are doing a champagne event at The Herbfarm in December. Watch this thread.

#28 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2005 - 10:04 AM

Road trip! The trip to Portland was a blast as was my traveling companion. Here are the pictures from our visit to see Michael Recchiuti.

We needed sustenance for the drive and ended up here
Posted Image

Posted Image

Eating these
Posted Image

Posted Image

And of course the stop at Apizza Scholls

Posted Image

#29 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2005 - 10:07 AM