104 replies to this topic

#61 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:49 AM

Chocolate brulee, Ive never had so much chococlate in one dish in my life, the almond and chocolate mousse sandwich was wonderful as well and the beaume de venice was so nice to clean it all up
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just a wafer thin madeleine more
Posted Image

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#62 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:34 PM

That looks great! In the picture of the madeleine, what is in the glass behind it? It looks like a mousse with whipped cream on top..........
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#63 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:30 PM

It's a Coffee Normandy, it was very very nice and appley.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#64 scarlett

scarlett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:01 AM

Michel Richard was utterly charming! 5 minutes with that man and I wanted to book a flight to DC just to dine at his restaurant!

Then the food came...the Tuna Beet Tartar was amazing. And that Mushroom Jus, while very rich, is very good. Thankfully, I've got the recipes to recreate those dishes. I can't wait to play with this book!
Traca
Seattle, WA

blog: Seattle Tall Poppy
Examiner.com - Seattle Food Scene

#65 Ling

Ling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:30 PM

The beet and tuna tartare dish is on the Happy Hour menu at Union, for those who couldn't make it to the Michel Richard dinner. We had it at Happy Hour and it was very tasty. :P

The shroomwich looks incredible!

#66 heyjude

heyjude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:19 AM

Thanks Rocky for taking and posting the pics and for being there. It's always a pleasure to see you. I thought the food was splendid. I would've been happy with 3 servings of the 'shroomwich. Michel Richard is really a heartthrob in his own Santa Clausy way.

The Dornenburg and Page dinner at The Dahlia is sold out(you can see them at the Vintage Park wine hour on Tues 11/7 and get a signed book), but there's some room left at The Dorie Greenspan events (call Macrina for further details) and anyone who has been following her threads on eGullet knows she is among the most delightful and talented woman in her field. We'd love to see you.

#67 heyjude

heyjude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:29 AM

For anyone not signing up for Dorie Greenspan because you already have the book, remember a signed copy would make a perfect holiday gift. And you can bring all your older Dorie books to be signed at Macrina. The afternoon event is only $10 more than the price of the book and includes goodies and a signed copy. Time with Dorie: Priceless.

#68 TamIam

TamIam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:30 AM

We had a really special visit with Dorie. Thank you so much.
Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented. -- J. Esther

#69 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:10 PM

Coming up next week, I am really tempted to go to this one.

Rocky

Chef Ethan Stowell + Brewmaster Tomme Arthur = Lost Abbey Beer Dinner at Union

Tomme Arthur is one of the country's most cult-followed brewmasters, and an annual producer for the Rare Beer Club. Arthur's most recent creations, the Belgian-inspired ales bottled under the Lost Abbey label, have been getting national attention from critics and beer lovers alike, and they are impossible to find in local stores because of the limited quantities produced.

On Monday, May 21, 2007 Union's chef Ethan Stowell will be creating a multi-course dinner to pair with Tomme Arthur's finest brews. Don't miss this incredible opportunity to taste the best from both of these passionate artisans in one delicious meal.

The menu for the evening is as follows:

Prosciutto di Parma, Fried Quail, Fried Almonds

Devotion Ale, Lost Abbey, San Marcos, California

Foie Gras Terrine, Pear Mostarda, Wild Watercress

Signature Ale, Lost Abbey, San Marcos, California

Seared Halibut, Braised Morel Mushrooms, English Peas

Avant Garde Ale, Lost Abbey, San Marcos, California

Braised Veal Cheek, Potato, Ramp Puree, Roasted Cipollini Onion

Red Barn Ale, Lost Abbey, San Marcos, California

Roasted Venison, Roasted Spring Onion, Current Red Wine Jus

10 Commandments Ale, Lost Abbey, San Marcos, California

Chocolate Terrine, Bourbon Ice Cream, Pistachio Brittle

Cuvee de Tomme 2005, Lost Abbey, San Marcos, California

Dinner begins at 6:30pm, and cost is $75/person. Reservations are required and seats are filling up fast for this exclusive evening.
Call Union at (206) 838-8000 to reserve your place.

Union Restaurant, located at 1400 First Avenue (at the corner of First and Union) in downtown Seattle, was opened in October 2003 by chef/ owner Ethan Stowell. Union's creative, elegant menu changes daily to reflect the freshest and most unique offerings available. Union maintains an award-winning wine list, which includes a cellar with over 200 premium wine selections to choose from. Union serves dinner seven nights a week from 5pm - 10pm. A bar menu is offered between 5pm - 7pm and 10pm -12am every evening. For more information, visit www.unionseattle.com.

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#70 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:34 PM

Anyone go Monday for Pierre Marco White? I lost out. I am curious if there were sufficient theatrics? And what about the food?

#71 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:13 AM

Yes, I went with Lauren, Jan and a friend of Lauren's. There were not so much theatrics as just exuberant fun and a party for all of the industry people who were there, and there were a butt ton. Marco himself was gracious, a lot of fun, and very full of spirits. At the end of the night they were doing this thing with Sambuca that I haven't done since my sophomore year in college, you fill a glass with high proof licq

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#72 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:11 AM

Yes, I went with Lauren, Jan and a friend of Lauren's. There were not so much theatrics as just exuberant fun and a party for all of the industry people who were there, and there were a butt ton. Marco himself was gracious, a lot of fun, and very full of spirits. At the end of the night they were doing this thing with Sambuca that I haven't done since my sophomore year in college, you fill a glass with high proof liqueur, light it on fire, slap you hand down over to smother it and cause a suction, suck in some of the fumes, shoot the booze, and then suck up the rest of the fumes. Many brain cells were killed. :P As always the food was fabulous and the company was a blast.

The menu
Posted Image

Salad Lyonnaise - the egg was impeccably poached and just oozed perfectly to blend with the dressing
Posted Image

Blinis and Smoked Salmon - a really nice bite to pop in and savour
Posted Image

Asparagus with Sauce Mousseline - absolutely amazing, the sauce was perfect and just the right accompaniment for the asparagus
Posted Image

Cappuccino of Mushrooms - just flat out delicious
Posted Image

Seared Sea Scallops with Sauce Vierge
Posted Image

Grilled Ribeye with Snails and Garlic Butter - at this point I was getting really really full
Posted Image

Rhubarb Crumble with Creme Anglais and Sugar Cookies - Holy Buttery Goodness Batman! The cookies were so damn good.
Posted Image

Rocky

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#73 LaurieA-B

LaurieA-B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:10 AM

Laura Werlin, author of Great Grilled Cheese and The New American Cheese, will be at Union this Thursday evening (May 17) for a grilled cheese and beer party in the bar. Great Grilled Cheese will be available for purchase and signing. From the press release:

"Chef Ethan Stowell will be creating delectable sandwiches featuring Beecher's handmade cheeses and pairing them with unique and hard-to-find beers. The event takes place from 5pm-9pm in the bar at Union. It's your chance to sample and sip, as each grilled cheese/beer combo is $8, and there will be plenty of delicious combinations to choose from."

Menu includes:

Cheesy Gabouse Egg Sandwich featuring Beecher's Raw Milk Flagship
Wrasslers XXXX Dry Stout, Porterhouse

Salami & Cheese featuring Beecher's Just Jack
Zwaanend'ale, Dogfish Head

Grilled Goat Cheese with Tapenade featuring Port Madison Goat
Celtic Angel, Serafijn

Roasted Beef with Onion Jam & Rogue River Blue
Meantime Scotch Ale

Goat Cheese & Honey on Raisin Bread featuring Beecher's FromageBlanc with Honey
Cassisona, Birrifico Italiano

#74 marina

marina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:55 PM

i went to the Marco Pierre White event, and had a lot of fun, but my boyfriend is a vegetarian, and his dinner was terrible. It was the same menu as us carnivores minus the meat. He paid $125 + for a quenelle of goat cheese on blini, frisee & egg, mushroom soup, asparagus, a couple baby artichokes on tomatoes & basil and the delicious entree? the garnish, minus the steak. i think he got an extra tomato slice. I was really, really disappointed, especially considering the price. We made reservations over a month ago. I know you can't accomodate every dietary restriction on a set menu, but it would have been nice to give him some pasta or risotto, something so he didn't have to cook dinner for himself after shelling out for that menu.

#75 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 05:41 PM

There were two things on the menu that just blew me away. One was the asparagus with sauce mousseline. OMG how have I never had this sauce before? Oh, because it's a PITA to make? Well, it was fantastic. The other was the cappuccino of mushrooms. I think that is why I was so full by the time the main course came. So rich and smooth and mushroom-y.

When I showed Paul Marco's signature on my book, he did a triple-take on the picture Marco drew! Mary also took a funny video of him telling us jokes at the end of the evening. It was all great fun!
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM