#91 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE(rockdoggydog @ Aug 23 2007, 03:23 PM) View Post
Us too! I want to go to the Pasternack one as well.

Rocky

I'm tempted by the Pasternak dinner. Why? Because I love seafood and because Ethan is cooking. Do I need another reason?

Is the menu out for this yet?
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#92 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:40 PM

Is anyone going to the Alexander Lobrano event?
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#93 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:51 AM

Last night was the Patricia Wells dinner at Boat St Cafe. As usual Renee and her staff did a wonderful job with great food and excellent service, and so much wine! Patricia Wells and her husband were very gracious though since we were at the second seating they were understandably pooped. Favourite dish of the night was definitely the chicken, and most especially the sauce on it.

Menu

Watercress salad and goat cheese crouton

Roasted asparagus and morels with crispy shallots

The chicken with butter roasted radishes

Meringue with rhubarb compote

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#94 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 06:33 PM

The asparagus with the morels and shallots were fantastic too. Renee and Boat Street rock! It was the perfect location to meet Patricia and Walter Wells.

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#95 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 02:10 AM

More perfect than Rose's Cafe on Orcas Island? (No, I did not go, but they were there too!)

#96 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:39 AM

Never been to Rose's, but the dinner at Boat Street was lovely. The sauce on the chicken was so good and I loved the meringues w/ rhubarb and strawberry compote.
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#97 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE(tsquare @ May 16 2008, 07:10 PM) View Post
More perfect than Rose's Cafe on Orcas Island? (No, I did not go, but they were there too!)

I didn't go to the Wells' dinner but, having eaten at Rose's before, I would speculate that yes indeed Boat Street was a more perfect location.

#98 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:03 AM

It was Jan's birthday and Eric Ripert came to town. laugh.gif

Actually it was a perfect coincidence that the Eric Ripert Cooks and Books dinner at Union was the same night as Jan's birthday. Some days the universe just gets it right.

We started at Spur for drinks where we had these wonderful fried gnocchi - soft crack to complement the hard crack

Then on to Union

The Menu

Oysters

Tuna Tartare - I really liked the presentation and how it was made to taste like steak tartare

Flash Marinated Fluke Crudo

Peal n Eat Shrimp - actually black pepper and cognac shrimp, very very tasty, fun to get hands on

Clams and Parmesan Foam - another fun one to pick up and get hands on, the foam made a perfect sauce

You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#99 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:08 AM

Seared Tandoori Spiced Yellowtail - probably my favourite thing of the night, the fish stood up to the spices really well

Pan Roasted Snapper - great crisp skin

Poached pear and ice cream - a nice simple way to finish

He was very gracious and nice even though he was dead tired.

Rocky

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#100 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:49 PM

I'll be at the Midsummer Night's Dessert Party. Our own Nightscotsman is doing the desserts and I hear the private garden and home are lovely (or will be by the time of the party - we hope). ninja.gif

http://www.kimricket...cooksbooks.html

#101 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:24 PM

Cooks and Books fall lineup

For our Cooks & Books Series, we have a new policy: we will now include tax and gratuity upfront in the ticket price. This means that you won't receive any bill at the end of the evening; it will all be included in the cost of the ticket. So the per person price includes: all courses, wines, tax, gratuity, and a copy of the featured book. To make reservations, please book online at our website (through Brown Paper Tickets).
September 11th, 8:45pm at Cascina Spinasse: After years of reviewing restaurants for The New York Times, Frank Bruni can sit down with us and have dinner -- without a disguise and without taking notes! In a celebration of the beloved Italian food of his childhood (and his new book Born Round: The Secret History of a Full-Time Eater), we will be sharing pasta and wine with Frank at Cascina Spinasse, following his Words & Wine event and interview. One seating at 8:45pm, with menu created by new chef Jason Stratton: $190 per person.
September 14th , 6:30 pm at Lark: We will be sharing dinner with Langdon Cook, author of The Fat of the Land: Adventures of a 21st Century Forager. John Sundstrom and Langdon Cook will be spending the weekend foraging the Northwest -- and then creating a dinner for us out of the riches they find. $120 per person.
September 20th, 6:30 pm at Serafina: A Sunday Supper with international pasta guru Guiliano Hazan, with dinner by exec chef Dylan Giordan and inspired by Hazan's Classic Pasta, How to Cook Italian and the new Thirty Minute Pasta. $150 per person.
October 26th , 6pm at The Ruins: William Grimes, former New York Times restaurant critic and author of Appetite City: A Culinary History of New York will join us for a delicious tour of courses created from some of New York's iconographic restaurants. We'll start with a classic cocktail (from his earlier book, Straight Up and On the Rocks: The Story of the American Cocktail) and some oysters -- then take a trip (menu-wise) through some of the great restaurants of the century! $200 per person.
November (date TBD), 6pm at Bastille: Ever wondered what Thomas Keller cooks at home when he gets in late from Per Se or the French Laundry? Now you'll get to find out when we sit down with Thomas for a family style dinner of his favorite American classic foods, as featured in his new book, Ad Hoc at Home. $190 per person.
*We are hoping to add a Cooks & Books event with David Chang later this fall, inspired by his new book, Momufuku — details to come as we get it set! For more information on our Cooks & Books Series, go here.

There is also a Words and Wine for Bruni also on 9/11.

Rocky

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#102 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:15 PM

I love the cooks & books series but is it just me (and if so that is ok) or is $190 pp a bit steep? I know it includes tax and tip now but if Dayne and I want to go to an event together we are talking a $500 night out! If these were at Rovers, Canlis, Le Gourmand then I wouldn't think too much of it but at Serafina, Lark, etc (all who I love) I think it's a bit out of the range for dinner and a book.

ok, back to your regular programming...,

ninja.gif
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#103 GourmetLight$

GourmetLight$

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE(little ms foodie @ Jul 25 2009, 11:15 AM) View Post
I love the cooks & books series but is it just me (and if so that is ok) or is $190 pp a bit steep? I know it includes tax and tip now but if Dayne and I want to go to an event together we are talking a $500 night out! If these were at Rovers, Canlis, Le Gourmand then I wouldn't think too much of it but at Serafina, Lark, etc (all who I love) I think it's a bit out of the range for dinner and a book.

ninja.gif

I agree. I really want to go to the Thomas Keller at Bastille event, but then thought that I'm not sure I can justify over $200 for that. I know that at the time I first saw the notice that I was also unemployed, but now that I got a new job, I still am not sure. Depending on the date in November, I may cave in and do it anyway. laugh.gif
Carolyn
~~~~~

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.R.R. Tolkien

#104 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE(little ms foodie @ Jul 25 2009, 11:15 AM) View Post

ninja.gif

That's been my feeling from the get-go, on top of the fact that you are eating food from a 'meant to be used by home cooks' cookbook. Meeting the author/chef needs to hold a lot of value for you to make it a good value. Then again, there is the whole, 'charge what the market will bear' aspect which I have no problem with whatsoever.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#105 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:06 AM

One difference from before is that the price is now tax and gratuity inclusive. Some of the prices do seem high, but at the same time considering some of the venues not out of realm of reason. I mean Spinasse has always had a pretty high price point, trattoria my butt.

Rocky

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant