31 replies to this topic

#1 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:53 AM

Actually how many pubs are there in town where there's that kind of good, big beer list and that have food as well?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#2 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,539 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 01:54 PM

I can't think of a single one. Old Town has good food but certainly not a big beer list.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#3 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:00 PM

Aha, so maybe my David Copperfields isn't so stupid after all...?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#4 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:24 PM

I don't know what the beer is like at that Scottish place on the same block as Jimmy's. The Johnsons have been complimentary about the food, and it has big malt whisky selection.

Hop Devil Grill is depressing as a replacement for Stingy Lulu's, given the neighborhood. Haven't been in.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#5 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,206 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:35 PM

Aha, so maybe my David Copperfields isn't so stupid after all...?

Well, there isn't *precisely* a place with a good beer selection and good food, but I don't like the food in this place either.
So, for a good beer selection and good food (if both happen to be required) I go the mile to WAH
Zum Schneider - ok food, nice beers for Germans
Lorelei - same, better food in general
Veselka for a decent burger and very fresh Brooklyn lager.
DBA if I only need beer.

And really, it does feel very very out of place. I wonder if these are part of a larger chain.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#6 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,680 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:37 PM

I may need to pay a return visit to Veselka. I have not been there in years because the food had gotten so vile. What else do you like aside from the burger?
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#7 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:46 PM

Abby and I went to one of the Burger Club meetings at Veselka. I didn't think the burger was anything to write hom about. It was fine, nothing more. Fries were not good.

#8 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,206 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:50 PM

Abby and I went to one of the Burger Club meetings at Veselka. I didn't think the burger was anything to write hom about. It was fine, nothing more. Fries were not good.

Yup, but worlds apart from this Hop Devil place. How did it score over all with the burger club?

I didn't try anything else there except borscht, which was very different from what I know from home (less beet, more meat), but nice. I think they also have a veggie version of it.

We're getting a bit off topic, my fault. Maybe an admin can split this off.

#9 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,539 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:14 PM

I don't know what the beer is like at that Scottish place on the same block as Jimmy's.  The Johnsons have been complimentary about the food, and it has big malt whisky selection.

Hop Devil Grill is depressing as a replacement for Stingy Lulu's, given the neighborhood.  Haven't been in.

I'm a big fan of Scottish beer so I like St. Andrews but I don't really like the atmosphere, location and clientele. I've had some of the food and it is perfectly fine but nothing great.

Isn't Veselka a diner?

#10 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,013 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:15 PM

Actually how many pubs are there in town where there's that kind of good, big beer list and that have food as well?

Waterfront Ale House, but that's out in Brooklyn. Or is the one on 2nd Ave as good?

This space available… contact owner.

#11 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,539 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:15 PM

Waterfront Ale House, but that's out in Brooklyn. Or is the one on 2nd Ave as good?

Yes, good example! How could I forget?

#12 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:16 PM

I don't know what the beer is like at that Scottish place on the same block as Jimmy's.  The Johnsons have been complimentary about the food, and it has big malt whisky selection.

Hop Devil Grill is depressing as a replacement for Stingy Lulu's, given the neighborhood.  Haven't been in.

I'm a big fan of Scottish beer so I like St. Andrews but I don't really like the atmosphere, location and clientele. I've had some of the food and it is perfectly fine but nothing great.

Isn't Veselka a diner?

Yes.

#13 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,680 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:17 PM

Isn't Veselka a diner?

Diner/coffee shop. Vastly inferior to the similar but smaller Teresa's in my opinion. But as I said I have not been there in ages.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#14 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,539 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:18 PM

Oh and how could I forget the Spotted Pig? ;)

#15 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,206 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:22 PM

Yes, good example! How could I forget?

First one on my list, but it's more than 10 minutes away. Also, the way back home tends to be very hazy.