148 replies to this topic

#1 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:01 PM

Friday evening had a Grey's Papaya dog. I like them better than Papaya King. Better onions, for sure.

Yesterday had a dog at Katz's. Very nice, as dogs go. Nice pop as you bite 'em.

When Ron was here, we had a dog at Nathan's on Coney Island. Pretty good, but I still like Grey's better.

Does Shake Shack have dogs as well as burgers?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#2 bonitobroth

bonitobroth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:09 PM

Yes. They do a Taxi Dog, which has that red onion sauce and a Chicago Dog with tomatoes, tiny whole pickled peppers, that neon green relish, etc. You can also get a plain dog. I think they are boiled, though.
"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

#3 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:13 PM

What are the Shake Shack hours now?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#4 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:19 PM

I really only use Dawgs on the Park. Mainly, I suspect, because it's the one I walk past most often. Quite acceptable. I add horseradish mayo from the squeeze bottles.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#5 akiko

akiko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:28 PM

Friday evening had a Grey's Papaya dog. I like them better than Papaya King. Better onions, for sure.

;) Papaya King Spicy Sausage with peppers and onions, I'd have that over a grey papaya dog any day.

I'm very upset by this thread, as a Chicagoan I love hotdogs and think there are only two cities that do them justice. Chicago and NYC. Today, I am marooned on a hotdogless island called London and you have made me want hotdogs!

#6 Ms J

Ms J

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:30 PM

Today, I am marooned on a hotdogless island called London and you have made me want hotdogs!

The German stall at Borough offers decent franks, but you have to do the rest yourself.

I get hot dog cravings too. ;)
Thieves, arsonists and deserters.

#7 Tamar G

Tamar G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:33 PM

What are the Shake Shack hours now?

shake shack website

hours are the same as before until 5/1. 11-4

#8 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:41 PM

Thanks.

#9 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,441 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:42 PM

I only eat hotdogs at the ballpark.

They're not particularly good, but there are few things better in life that going to a baseball game on a gorgeous sunny day in the middle of the week and watch one's team while eating 'dogs and drinking beer.
Future Legacy Participant.

#10 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:46 PM

Oh yeah. Last summer we went out to Keyspan - had such a great great time, eating hotdogs and watching the game. Definitely want to do it again.

#11 macrosan

macrosan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:05 PM

I'm very upset by this thread, as a Chicagoan I love hotdogs and think there are only two cities that do them justice. Chicago and NYC. Today, I am marooned on a hotdogless island called London and you have made me want hotdogs!

I really, truly, honestly cannot believe this ;)

I mean, I acknowledge the nostalgic and emotional attachment that some Americans have to hot dogs, but for heaven's sake, we are talking about cheapest miced beef, pickled and coloured with reddish dye, squashed into a plastic liner, kept in a cold store for months or years, and served up in a cheap white bread roll.

This is the sort of food they are finally talking about banning from schools. C'mon, guys, it's crap isn't it ?

#12 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:11 PM

It may be crap, but it tastes really good when it's good crap. And I like the mouthfeel. And mustard and sauerkraut....oh yeah.

macro, there's no crap/junk food that you like/enjoy?

#13 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:13 PM

Good touch on the "miced beef" part. Where can I get one? Probably better quality than the shit I eat watching our local "teams" get blown away. Seriously though (well, not really), there's something to be said for a good 60cent Papaya King dog with mustard and onions. Trouble is, the older I get, the longer it keeps saying it.

This space available… contact owner.

#14 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:16 PM

C'mon, guys, it's crap isn't it ?

No, no, no. Nothing like a good dog. And nothing worse than a bad dog, except maybe a bad dog with ketchup on it. My stepkids put ketchup on their hot dogs...I can't even sit at the same table.

#15 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:19 PM

It is more complicated. Take, on the one hand, the kind of cylindrical meatpaste on gluey "bread" served in a chain cinema next to the popcorn and flat soda.

Take on the other hand a dog from Katz's, or Criff's, or one of the better New York chains.

Or take frankfurters as prepared and served in Germany.

Already, you can see there are good hot dogs and bad hot dogs. Then there's the difference between broiled and boiled; there's the question of toasting or not toasting the roll; there are good and bad condiments; and there is the interesting textural interplay - soft meat, popping skin, crunchy sauerkraut, soft roll.

Not the greatest dish in the world, but worth trying a good example in an appropriate setting.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.