899 replies to this topic

#1 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:57 PM

Yesterday we took a long walk...my goal was to end up at Black Pearl. Unfortunately, the kitchen there is closed on Sundays (they're planning to open on Sundays, but not quite yet). So rather than be miserable about it, we decided to go to Katz's and take our sandwiches to dba and eat outside. Which we did.

But Katz's, oh, Katz's. We walked in, and I immediately sized up the counter situation. I saw a guy (a slicer) I had never seen before. I'd say about 60 years old, had that old timer look. He was my man.

Waited on line, caught his twinkly eye a couple of times, heard his accent. Ukraine, I thought.

So it was my turn. We start to talk. Eyebrows had gone into lower east side mode big time. Slicer says to him, hey, I'm not selling gold and diamonds here. I laugh. Slicer says to me, in a moment I knew was coming: "redst du yidish?" (do you speak Yiddish?) We just knew. So of course then we were off to the races. Half Yiddish, half English, shmoozing, kibbitzing, talking about Katz's in the old days. His name is Peter, and he is indeed from the Ukraine (I'm good at that kinda thing). He's been at Katz's for 25 years. He's the last of the old timers.

Man oh man did we get samples. And about 10 lbs of meat on the sandwiches, I swear. We had one pastrami sandwich, and one corned beef sandwich. I had been meaning to try the corned beef for some time, so this seemed like a good opportunity. Peter said to me: "you like meat nice and juicy, right? No lean for you." Right he was.

Got a nice load of pickles - sours and news (very new - I don't like them so new, Eyebrows loves them - we are not pickle compatible). Side of coleslaw which was a big nothing. Kasha knishes there are very good - better than Yonah. Potato knish was truly bad.

Pastrami was just over the top magnificent. I liked the corned beef too - I think as corned beef goes, this is very good. But there's just nothing like that pastrami. And I love the way it's hand cut. No slice the same, nice and thick. Oooh. I wish they used better bread. I like the mustard.

I promised Peter I would come back on a weekday when he could come and sit at a table and hang out a little.

Then we went to dba. Snagged a table outside. Read the NYT and ate and drank.

Then we went poking around in the vintage shops on 9th St. I want some cute little vintage-y dresses for the summer. No luck. But why do we call them "vintage" shops - what happened to thrift stores? Or just plain second-hand?

Not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#2 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:01 PM

Note: the sandwiches are huge, and I don't just mean because we got treated so nicely by Peter. Eyebrows and I could not finish two sandwiches between us. So even though the pastrami sandwich is $12.95, it feeds two people. Add some pickles, a soda, and a knish...you're stuffed.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#3 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:30 PM

I'm salivating and jealous. ;)
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#4 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:52 PM

And they travel really well also. Last time we were there we had to get one of the Pastrami sandwiches to go. We ate it down here in San Juan. Unbelievable stuff.
"I mispoke."

#5 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:54 PM

I find that steaming it the next day gets a great re-heated result

#6 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:12 PM

As I have said many times before, save some of the meat for next morning's hash.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#7 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,437 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:24 PM

I keep threatening to bring my own bread.

#8 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:27 PM

You could certainly do that. I'd bring rye from Orwasher's. I think I'll do that the next time.

#9 eatpie

eatpie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:47 PM

Omni, a solid return from the disabled list = u came out swinging.
Q: What happens when your fat pants become your skinny pants?
A: Buy drawstring.

#10 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:22 PM

Went to Katz's for the first time while in NYC a few weeks ago. We loved it! The pastrami was so hot, tender and juicy!! yum!!! We also split a sandwich but honestly my husband could have eaten one on his own.
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#11 Lyle

Lyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:30 PM

I find that steaming it the next day gets a great re-heated result

I agree completely. I usually bring home a 2-3 lb. slab, slice and steam per sandwich. This also allows you to use some decent bread as your handle.

#12 Caseophile

Caseophile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 01:46 AM

I know that guy! Peter, I mean. I'm sure he was the one who served me the last time I was there. I've liked all of my Katz's pastrami guys, but he was the best. Such a nice guy. I've never seen anyone place such importance on whether I enjoyed my sandwich. And when I paused for a second before answering his question about what kind of pickles I wanted, he just piled up a huge plate with both kinds, and threw in a pickled tomato too.

And I don't speak a word of Yiddish.

#13 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:47 AM

So rather than be miserable about it, we decided to go to Katz's and take our sandwiches to dba and eat outside. Which we did.

But Katz's, oh, Katz's.

I've been having Katz cravings since I recovered from my pastrami withdrawl. You just made them even stronger.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#14 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:57 AM

Road Trip! Road Trip!

er.........Taxi Trip!
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#15 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 04:03 AM

If you hail it, I will come. ;)
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.